Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 10:04   #1

Boat: Kaufman 47
Exit Plates

Hey guys,
I need to add a mast exit plate to run a halyard and topping lift to a mast mounted winch. I'm looking at the Ronstan and Schaefer exit Plates. They are different designs, one long and slender and the other is a round hole. Does one work better than the other chafe wise? One keep more water out than the other?

These are the two I'm considering.

Ronstan Mast Exit Plate

Schaefer Flat Exit Plate

So what's the consensus on which is better? Is there a better one?

Ronnie
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Exit Plates

The Schaefer exit plate isn't a round hole but race track type of puka in the mast. Would expect there would be less chance of chaff with the Ronstan because of it's extra length but question whether it's a problem in the first place. Years ago Schaefer made a mast halyard exit that had two sheaves which had zero vertical chaff. It has long since dropped out of there catalogue. Assume that was because the sheaved exit block wasn't necessary. I recently installed Schaefer type of exit plates on my mast but haven't had enough use to say one way or another that chafe is not an issue.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:39   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Generally the fatter the halyard, & the higher the load on it, the longer you want the exit plate to be. Especially the bearing surface of the exit plate, so that the line is sliding over low friction, polished stainless.

Most of the ones I've worked with (sailed on boats with) are somewhere in between those two in terms of length. Though I couldn't name a brand for you. That said it might be worth looking at a few spar manufacturers websites to compare what they offer, along with visiting velasailingsupply.com & apsltd.com

The latter's been one of my go to sites/companies for ages, as the guys there know & love sailing. So it's more than worth ringing them up. I'm not sure what vela sailing supply is like to talk to as they're a fairly recent discovery for me. Though they seem an excellent outfit if their inventory is any indicator of such. Especially their prices as compared to some. And one other is MauriProSailing.com

Of course you could also talk to a good rigger, or one step better, a good rigging supply shop... as in visit a few in person.

My apoligies for the nebulous answer, it just kind of flowed out stream of consciousness style.

Bottom line, longer is better. But the less load there is on the line, the less it matters. Low load being relative, as to me the loads on halyards on anything under 40' are "low". Versus say some of the maxi's I sail/have sailed on.

One thing is that when sizing exit plates, it's nice if there's enough room for the halyard to easily fit through it with room to spare, even with an extra layer of line jacket on it at the point(s) where it exits the spar. Though this is by no means mandatory. And a good coating of Maxi Jacket II, or RP25 minimizes chafe in this area quite nicely. Though it's rare to see much if any chafe on the halyards of boats 40' & under.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:58   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

SailRedemption,

You wrote, "I need to add a mast exit plate to run a halyard and topping lift to a mast mounted winch. " So, I guess you want one for each. I've not seen two lines coming out of one exit plate.

The ones we've had are also somewhere between the Ronstan and the Shaefer. I'm curious, are the exit holes for those lines already there, or are you going to cut the slots? If the latter, be sure to carefully smooth the edges of the holes.

From the links you posted, I prefer the ronstan ones, but my first reaction was "choose the smoothest one.," and the longer ones tend to offer less chafe than the shorter ones. If the slots are already there, the plates will have to be big enough to fit nicely over them.

I think if there's a rigging supply shop in your neck of the woods, Uncivilized's suggestion of visiting one and seeing and feeling the exit plates could lead to a decision, especially, with face to face input.

If you're going to be aloft, mounting them, two screws vs. 4 will make a small difference to the time you're up there, if that matters to you.

Ann
Old 01-09-2017, 13:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The Schaefer exit plate isn't a round hole but race track type of puka in the mast. Would expect there would be less chance of chaff with the Ronstan because of it's extra length but question whether it's a problem in the first place. Years ago Schaefer made a mast halyard exit that had two sheaves which had zero vertical chaff. It has long since dropped out of there catalogue. Assume that was because the sheaved exit block wasn't necessary. I recently installed Schaefer type of exit plates on my mast but haven't had enough use to say one way or another that chafe is not an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Generally the fatter the halyard, & the higher the load on it, the longer you want the exit plate to be. Especially the bearing surface of the exit plate, so that the line is sliding over low friction, polished stainless.

Most of the ones I've worked with (sailed on boats with) are somewhere in between those two in terms of length. Though I couldn't name a brand for you. That said it might be worth looking at a few spar manufacturers websites to compare what they offer, along with visiting velasailingsupply.com & apsltd.com

The latter's been one of my go to sites/companies for ages, as the guys there know & love sailing. So it's more than worth ringing them up. I'm not sure what vela sailing supply is like to talk to as they're a fairly recent discovery for me. Though they seem an excellent outfit if their inventory is any indicator of such. Especially their prices as compared to some. And one other is MauriProSailing.com

Of course you could also talk to a good rigger, or one step better, a good rigging supply shop... as in visit a few in person.

My apoligies for the nebulous answer, it just kind of flowed out stream of consciousness style.

Bottom line, longer is better. But the less load there is on the line, the less it matters. Low load being relative, as to me the loads on halyards on anything under 40' are "low". Versus say some of the maxi's I sail/have sailed on.

One thing is that when sizing exit plates, it's nice if there's enough room for the halyard to easily fit through it with room to spare, even with an extra layer of line jacket on it at the point(s) where it exits the spar. Though this is by no means mandatory. And a good coating of Maxi Jacket II, or RP25 minimizes chafe in this area quite nicely. Though it's rare to see much if any chafe on the halyards of boats 40' & under.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
SailRedemption,

You wrote, "I need to add a mast exit plate to run a halyard and topping lift to a mast mounted winch. " So, I guess you want one for each. I've not seen two lines coming out of one exit plate.

The ones we've had are also somewhere between the Ronstan and the Shaefer. I'm curious, are the exit holes for those lines already there, or are you going to cut the slots? If the latter, be sure to carefully smooth the edges of the holes.

From the links you posted, I prefer the ronstan ones, but my first reaction was "choose the smoothest one.," and the longer ones tend to offer less chafe than the shorter ones. If the slots are already there, the plates will have to be big enough to fit nicely over them.

I think if there's a rigging supply shop in your neck of the woods, Uncivilized's suggestion of visiting one and seeing and feeling the exit plates could lead to a decision, especially, with face to face input.

If you're going to be aloft, mounting them, two screws vs. 4 will make a small difference to the time you're up there, if that matters to you.

Ann
Thanks for the information. I'll look into the longer ones. The loads on one will be relatively low, that will be the topping lift. The other will be the spinnaker halyard or main halyard (not sure yet). These will be for deck level where the halyard/topping life will come out the mast so they can be jumped and/or ran to the mast mounted winches.

Ann, it will be more than one exit plate, must have missed that wording.

I'll just get the Schaefer one for the topping lift and the Ronstan for the halyard. That way I know which is better when I see them and start using them.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 01-09-2017, 13:30   #6

I've not found exit plates to be a source of chafe really. maybe the one requiring the smallest cut out in the mast is best.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 14:11   #7

Note that it's not essential to have them at all. I've been on plenty of boats where the exit hole is cut into the mast wall, it's edges smoothed, & then a small stainless skid strip is attached to the mast just below the exit point. Something on the order of 1/2" wide, with a rounded over cross section.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 01-09-2017, 15:16   #8

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I've had good results with no exit plates (or skid plates) just a nicely filed and smoothed slot. That way the slot can be cut to a minimum size and length so it has much less effect on mast strength. I've not seen any chafe issues if they are well smoothed.

Make sure to stagger any slots well away from other ones and avoid the middle 1/2 of the span between the deck and the spreaders.
Old 01-09-2017, 20:50   #9

Thanks again. I know about the staggering of holes and I will definitely look into my Toss book beforehand just to check anything else I may have missed.

I'm thinking about a 5/16" topping lift so the 1/2" Schaefer exit plate will be great for that. And probably a 7/16"-3/8" halyard so the 1/2" Ronstan exit plate will do for that.
Old 01-09-2017, 21:22   #10

Yes, Snowpetrel nailed it with his comments. Kinda' common sense, after you've been involved with rigging for a while.

One other aspect is that you can be a bit more liberal about the number & size of the exit holes you cut into a mast if it's internally sleeved in it's lower regions, as is common on a lot of racing boats.

Another part of the size & number of exit plates equation is that the lower panel of a mast is the portion which is the most highly stresed. So folks need to keep this in mind before going for the swiss cheese look.

And of course anytime you use stainless fittings on an aluminum tube, you need to electrically isolate them. Both the exit plates, & their fasteners.

Though even with their "weaknesses" I can't see not using internal halyards, primarily. They just have so many advantages over externals.

Also, remember to put reeving spices into the tails of your new halyard/topper if they don't already have them. As they're invaluable, & indirectly contribute to the halyards living a lot longer. Since they make it dirt simple to pull out halyards for regular inspections. As well as to take them out & replace them with leader lines when the boat isn't going to be used for any significant period of time. Thus saving them from UV damage, & to some degree chafe.