Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2017, 06:00   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Eye splicing rope with non braided core eg Marlowbraid

I have just learned how to splice double braid (using Samson instructions), so I reached for some spare new rope to practise.

I thought it was double braid, but the core is made of three strand (with 8 strands in each), not a hollow braid. I think this rope is called Kermantle. Is this correct?

Is it actually possible to bury the cover with this type of line? I can't find any decent splicing instructions.

This is how the cover and exposed core look:

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 14:01   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
re: Eye splicing rope with non braided core eg Marlowbraid

Kernmantel (with a "n") is German for "core & cover". Double braid is a kind of Kernmantel rope construction.

However, it seems this word is used for rope with non-braided core. I found splicing instructions there (not tested yet): http://www.neropes.com/fileadmin/Teu...Heavy_Duty.pdf

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 14:59   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I have just learned how to splice double braid (using Samson instructions), so I reached for some spare new rope to practise.

I thought it was double braid, but the core is made of three strand (with 8 strands in each), not a hollow braid. I think this rope is called Kermantle. Is this correct?

Is it actually possible to bury the cover with this type of line? I can't find any decent splicing instructions.

This is how the cover and exposed core look:

Actually, no.

Climbing ropes have 6-12 strings inside, 50% RH, 50% LH, not a 3-strand rope. In fact, that is a strange construction, since the core will want to twist under load, but the cover will not. I predict problems with kinking.

I would tend to steer away from that.

As for splicing, I don't know.
Old 23-02-2017, 00:26   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
Kernmantel (with a "n") is German for "core & cover". Double braid is a kind of Kernmantel rope construction.

However, it seems this word is used for rope with non-braided core. I found splicing instructions there (not tested yet): http://www.neropes.com/fileadmin/Teu...Heavy_Duty.pdf

Alain
Thanks Alain. I have altered the name in the thread title .

Our headsail sheets will need eye splices shortly so I was aiming to do another few before tackling this. The splicing instructions in the link include cutting off the excess core and then whipping plus heatshrink. If that is all that can be done, this line is useless for practise .

SWL

Old 23-02-2017, 03:00   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Looks like Marlowbraid.

https://www.marlowropes.com/product/marlowbraid
"Our famous 100% Polyester line offers class leading low stretch for a Polyester rope thanks to its laid 3-strand core construction, making Marlowbraid an ideal halyard rope. The tough 16-plait cover is hard wearing and grips well in clutches also offering great abrasion resistance on winches when used as a sheet. The low stretch core and tough cover makes Marlowbraid ideal for all control line applications such as cascades and vangs."

That page also says "Easy to splice", but don't believe it. On their spicing guide page, they give it a 4/5 difficulty rating

It calls for a different technique to double braid, so not much point practicing with it if your new sheets are double braid.

But if you do want to put an eye splice in it, here's the instructions:

https://www.marlowropes.com/sites/de...structions.pdf

and video here:

https://youtu.be/zl7sukNsySM

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 06:46   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Looks like Marlowbraid.

https://www.marlowropes.com/product/marlowbraid
"Our famous 100% Polyester line offers class leading low stretch for a Polyester rope thanks to its laid 3-strand core construction, making Marlowbraid an ideal halyard rope. The tough 16-plait cover is hard wearing and grips well in clutches also offering great abrasion resistance on winches when used as a sheet. The low stretch core and tough cover makes Marlowbraid ideal for all control line applications such as cascades and vangs."

That page also says "Easy to splice", but don't believe it. On their spicing guide page, they give it a 4/5 difficulty rating

It calls for a different technique to double braid, so not much point practicing with it if your new sheets are double braid.

But if you do want to put an eye splice in it, here's the instructions:

https://www.marlowropes.com/sites/de...structions.pdf

and video here:

https://youtu.be/zl7sukNsySM

Thanks Stu. That is it! I had been wracking my brains trying to remember where it was purchased so I could identify it. Generally I have ordered all line from Jimmy Green in the UK, but I haven't been able to find email records for this piece.

I will still have a go splicing this as it is all practice, so thanks for the links. It does look like it needs a bit of brute force though, which is not my favourite type of rope work.

Old 23-02-2017, 07:00   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

It would be worth running this by Brion Toss & Co. As they develop quite a lot of new splices, working hand in hand with the various cordage manufacturers.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 08:49   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
It would be worth running this by Brion Toss & Co. As they develop quite a lot of new splices, working hand in hand with the various cordage manufacturers.
Brion Toss's website no longer contains any instructions. These are now only for sale, so I am not sure how helpful the company would be unless instructions were purchased.

Stu's links look clear. I have watched the YouTube now and it looks no harder than a double braid eye splice, except more brute strength is needed, which is unfortunately not my forte.

The line we are actually being supplied with for our new headsail sheets is Liros Hercules, which has a braided core, so ultimately this is what I will be splicing in earnest for the first time. Sampson's instructions for that are good.

SWL

Old 06-05-2021, 22:53   #9

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

Reviving an old thread….

How did those splices go? I am not overly experienced at double braid eye-splices, but I have several successes under my belt. However, this 14mm Liros Herkules has totally defeated me. I’ve tried 4x, 2x with Samson instructions and 2x with a Toss wand and Toss instructions. The cover is just so damn tight! All I have to show for it is several blisters on my hands!

How did it go for you?
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:29   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthetrees View Post
Reviving an old thread….

How did those splices go? I am not overly experienced at double braid eye-splices, but I have several successes under my belt. However, this 14mm Liros Herkules has totally defeated me. I’ve tried 4x, 2x with Samson instructions and 2x with a Toss wand and Toss instructions. The cover is just so damn tight! All I have to show for it is several blisters on my hands!

How did it go for you?
Hi Ohthetrees
I have just replied in the thread you started regarding this:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3403042