Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2013, 20:08   #1

Fabric choice for cockpit cushions

I am in the planning stages for building cockpit cushions and wanted to hear others opinions on the choice of fabric and foam.

These cushions will be left out most of the time under the shade of the Bimini and left out when a squall comes through. For this reason I am considering using a mesh type foam like the stuff used for outdoor furnature which is designed to she'd the water. The only negative with this stuff is it does not float. I don't care for closed cell foam as it is hard, creates mildew and is pricy.

In regards to fabric, I plan to use a phifertex mesh for the bottom and the sides. The top I plan to use a tighter weave phifertex or a sunbrella fabric. This is where I am unsure what will work the best. A phifertex fabric that wii be quick drying but not as comfortable or a Sunbrella that will take time to dry.

I would be interested to hear what others have used for their cockpit cushions and what fabric and foam combinations works for them.

Thanks
Balega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 20:18   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Fabric choice for cockpit cushions

The best outdoor foam does not "shed" water, it goes right on through it. Foam has gotten very pricy, you will be surprised.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 21:32   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

close cell foam sheds water.

Foam Closed Cell Natural 1 1/2" x 56"

Below is open cell foam. Also good but pricey. Does not grow mold while the anti-microbial coating is active.

Foam Dry Fast Open Cell 2" x 48" x 72"

When measuring foam for your cushions, cut it about an inch longer and wider then the casing.

Me I would use sunbrella for top and sides and part mesh below.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 22:17   #4

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Right now we use sunbrella covered sport a seats. Somewhere down the road a set of c cushions is on the "nice to have" list.

http://www.ccushions.com/
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 23:30   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balega View Post
I would be interested to hear what others have used for their cockpit cushions and what fabric and foam combinations works for them.
1.5 inch thick closed cell foam and Sunbrella Plus works for me.

I agree closed cell foam is hard, but you adapt, and I think its other benefits for outdoor use outweigh this drawback.
It does not absorb water at all, so it will never give you a wet bum.
It is pricey, but cost per year is extremely low (our foam is 15 years old, and still like new with not a spec of mould).

Sunbrella Plus is waterproof, so if the cushions get wet shake off the beads of water and in sunny conditions they are dry within about 10 minutes.
It will easily provide a decade of service.
It is stain resistant, UV resistant, does not fade much (except for red).
It is easy to sew.
It is easy to clean - I wipe ours with a damp cloth daily and it washes easily without any shrinkage.
It is more comfortable than Phifertex.
It looks good .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 00:07   #6

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I don't use fabric - I use the excellent coated foam cushions from Bottomsiders. They are easy to clean, just wipe down to dry. On hot days I do like to put a beach towel down on top though.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 10:47   #7

Boat: gozzard 44

I had a full set of Bottomsiders closed foam cushions for 10 years. The white vinyl coating was wearing thin, it was time to consider having them recoated by the factory. Instead, I covered them with the denser-type Phifertex fabric with matching piping. No mildew after a couple years. At the end of the season I unzip and clean.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 13:58   #8

Boat: Tartan 4300

My preferred cockpit cushions are closed cell foam and mesh all around. Welting should be a vinyl or sunbrella. If you take them off the seat and they rub the non-skid, sunbrella will wear faster. We had a set of cockpit cushions with the type of foam you are suggesting. They went right back. The water puddles under the foam on the seats and it takes quite awhile for them to dry out. Yes they were more comfortable but just didn't work after rain. Sunbrella is water resistant but that does wear off after awhile which is why I prefer the mesh
ejmead is offline   Reply With Quote