Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2018, 00:02   #1

Boat: Helia 44, Fountaine Pajot
Facnor Screetcher Furler slipping

I have a Facnor Flat Drum continuous sheet furler on my screetcher. In strong winds I am finding it impossible to bring in as it furls / slips / furls / slips. I have got around that by using my genoa to partially hide it and reduce the resistance. I have replaced the rubber ring as it was perished although I cant see what purpose it serves as it does not make contact with the sheet. I have spoken to a couple of other cat sailors who express the same problem and get around it the same way. Surely that is not the answer?? Does the sheet lose its grip in the furler with wear? Could it need a sheet replacement ?

I am also interested to know how people furl the screetcher in a way that keeps it tight enough that it does not catch wind and start billowing in high wind - is the only solution to drop and stow when not been used (I gathered this from a past thread)

Suggestions welcomed. cheers
gezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 04:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Re: Facnor Screetcher Furler slipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by gezza View Post
I have a Facnor Flat Drum continuous sheet furler on my screetcher. In strong winds I am finding it impossible to bring in as it furls / slips / furls / slips. I have got around that by using my genoa to partially hide it and reduce the resistance. I have replaced the rubber ring as it was perished although I cant see what purpose it serves as it does not make contact with the sheet. I have spoken to a couple of other cat sailors who express the same problem and get around it the same way. Surely that is not the answer?? Does the sheet lose its grip in the furler with wear? Could it need a sheet replacement ?

I am also interested to know how people furl the screetcher in a way that keeps it tight enough that it does not catch wind and start billowing in high wind - is the only solution to drop and stow when not been used (I gathered this from a past thread)

Suggestions welcomed. cheers
Its helps a lot to keep pressure on both furling lines. If your only pulling one line and the other is slack then it will slip. What is common is having the line go through pulley that is attached to a heavy bungy cord which is stretched and attached to something on the boat, thus keeping a decent amount of pressure on it. There is also a way of doing this and having it onto a winch I saw when sailing a Volvo 70 but can't remember exactly. The bigger the furler drum, the less likely it will slip.
The bigger the torsion rope, the tighter the furl will be provided the furler can take it. Ideally 15mm on a 40+ ft cat and a quality torsion rope if you want to leave the sail up full time. Not just some polyester double braid which I've seen some sailmakers use.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 13:32   #3

Boat: Helia 44, Fountaine Pajot
Re: Facnor Screetcher Furler slipping

thanks Kestrahl - I'll play around with the ideas you have provided - appreciated
cheers, Gezza
gezza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler