Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2020, 09:45   #16

Boat: 1983 Catalina 30 5411 STD Rig
Re: Fall protection when climbing a stepped mast

Simple Prusik loop, basically free.

https://youtu.be/EFHxQ5fiUvI
fox9988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 09:47   #17

I climb the steps of my mast alone, securing with a Kong Duck rope clamp (https://www.ropesgear.com/products/kong-duck) to a tightened halyard. Runs nicely on the way up, and I hold it open on the way down. If I lose my grip, it will tighten instantly to secure the fall. I use a bosun's chair to sit in when working and for safety a climbing harness secured to the Kong Duck with an extra line around the chest. The Kong Duck is easy to use without any climbing experience. I also use it when hoisting the main sail from the mast when alone. Much quicker and not so heavy as using the winch. Keeps the sail up while I go to the winch to tighten it.

Ragha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 09:50   #18

I also have a furling staysail, and easily step around the tang.
I have lazy jacks from mast to boom, making ascending from that side a bit more problematic.

These rope grabs will work with 1/2" line too, and you don't need much shock absorption as you only 'fall' a few feet, less if your harness is really tight.
JohnHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 09:54   #19

Simple trailing rope grabber used by every roofer.

https://www.harnessland.com/Anti-Inv...ab-p/19260.htm
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 10:06   #20
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The ACTUAL answer to the OP's question is a device like a...
Kong Backup
  • Camp Goblin
  • Petzl ASAP
The GriGri is specifically NOT rated for this. Check the Petzl web site for this. Ascenders are not rated for falls if there is any slack in the system and they do not move up and down the line. Neither does a prusik.

These are specifically made for fall arrest while freely moving up an down a line. They are fall rated, which ascenders are not.

I've spent many, many hours using these, in industry, up masts, and solo rock climbing. And I have seen pro riggers use them as a backup.

---

Kinna surprised how few people know about this product catagory. I can climbing right down the mast in less than a minute, without having to pause to move the rope grab. As I said, common in industry.
Old 15-11-2020, 10:07   #21

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

I to use Petzl ascenders, ideally on another halyard from the one winching. If you have just a 2 part main halyard to use, an ascender on each part should ensure total safety. You can also climb the mast using 2 ascenders and foot loops

Failing that or if you only have one single part halyard, a webbing harness line from the bosun's chair or harness, 1.5 times round the mast and back will stop an uncontrolled descent. The webbing will lock round the mast once load comes on if the halyard gives way or the wincher loses control. Of course, you have to unclip the harness line to go round crosstrees. Also good to stop you being whipped around if the boat rocks.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 10:11   #22

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

I have a Byron Toss harness almost identical to your picture. I attach my mainsail halyard to it and with a man in deck to work the line. I climb the mast the deck man attaches halyard to winch and follows me up taking in the line as I go and secures it to secure once I’m at the top. He does NOT haul me up. I added a sturdy 2” double nylon web strap to go around the mast line old time telephone pole climbers used
I made the strap and added locking caribiners to each end to attach/ detach the strap from my climbing harness
Old 15-11-2020, 10:19   #23
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideocean7 View Post
Hi All.

There have been many posts about mast-climbing systems and methods but I can't find one that answers my topic.

I have some jobs to do with the VHF aerial and anemometer and fortunately I have fold-away steps to the top of the 50ft mast. That's my climbing system and all steps are rock-solid. I'll be solo and am hunting around for fall protection (not climbing assistance), using the main halyard and possibly also the topping lift as protection lines.

One device I've read about is the Petzl Grigri. I will be focussing on holding onto the steps to climb and descend so wonder if this device will follow me up without adjustment? Any ideas on this or suggestions of other devices? I don't feel confident enough to rely on friction knots such as Kleimheist/Prussic.

Whilst I'm on the subject, does anyone have experience of using this harness (Razorback Treehog)? It's a hybrid between a climbing harness and bosun's chair, which I like as there's sort of a seat when working aloft for a while. It's been recommended/tested in some sailing sites. Please feel free to make other suggestions.

Attachment 226995

Cheers
I have been up my mast a number of times but always with crew on the winch. I admit I have thought of going aloft by myself a number of times but never have. I have convinced myself that should I choose to do so I would either get some instruction from my rigger or go to someplace like REI. Riggers do it solo all the time but, like everything else, they're professionals because there is a learning curve.

I wouldn't SCUBA dive without instruction, ditto for solo up the mast...there is too much at stake.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 10:38   #24

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Thinwater, thanks for those references. I like the video of Camp Goblin.

This guy has a lot of trust in it. Also funny how he is climbing wearing loose sandals!
Old 15-11-2020, 10:49   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

From my experience with the GriGri you would have to physically move it up with you. Have only used it as part of a climbing rig with an ascender so haven't tried to drag it up without attention. Works a treat for descending as well as ascending.

There are safety devices designed for construction workers that might work without attention on a climb.

That climbing harness looks interesting but would want to get some real life experience. Taking the strain on the thighs which is what makes harnesses so uncomfortable. Hopefully the seat part would transfer the strain from the thighs to the butt but it's still basically a climbing harness and may not. Have tried two different climbing harnesses trying to find comfort and they are damned uncomfortable to hang in for the time that most mast work requires. Best seat/harness I've found is the one that comes with the ATN Mast Climber but they don't sell it separate from their ascender rig. ATN Mastclimber | Single Handed Bosun Chair | Climbing the Mast

Had steps to the mast head with one of my boats. They were great to get to where I wanted to work but terrible while actually doing the work. Had to strap myself to the mast to work with both hands. Supporting myself with one leg got old quickly and the two steps near the masthead for work were never in the right place. Find a harness/bosun's chair on a halyard way better for actually getting things done.

The ATN Mast Climber works better with the climbing line winched tight but climb with the line loose with GriGri and climbing gear. Makes it possible to work on spreader ends or all around the mast.

If anyone wants a harness, have a Black Diamond harness that I'll make someone a deal on. It's Medium size but wouldn't to stretch it much beyond a 34" waist. No matter how you go up the mast or work out of, wouldn't go up without a separate harness based safety line.

I've been going up the mast solo since I discovered the ATN Mast Climber when they first came out and later, mountain climbing gear with the GriGri. The Mast Climber is plug and play. Climbing gear takes a little time figure out but you won't get off the ground it it's not rigged right. Following the videos on YouTube will let you figure it out. Always use a Kleimheist back up on a different halyard and it's about as safe as getting 40 plus feet off the ground can be. Relying on a line controlled by someone on the ground, possibly with no experience, is what is really scary for me. Especially worrysome if they are using a self tailing winch with no back-up for tailing the line and an electric motor to do the job.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 10:54   #26

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

I like the idea of the Kong and rope grabber. I have always free climbed with my lineman’s belt from my aerial photo days. With lanyard in hand I can quickly secure if I fumble.
The harness you showed in the original post is interesting, does it have a lanyard that would allow you to stand off with? Being able to lean back while secured is key.
Also as you have folding steps did whomever installed them also install a parallel step at the masthead and spreader work stations? Being able to stand on both feet is ideal to reduce leg tension while aloft.
Also having a bosun’s bag for your instruments and tools will help you hoist them vs climbing with them.
Old 15-11-2020, 11:05   #27

Boat: Island Packet 38

It strikes me that the use of mast mounted steps plus the ascender is probably safe for all cases except assisted rescue. If you’re unable to descend, your grigri will keep you (or maybe just your harness) right where you stop.

One poster suggested using a rated climbing rope pulled aloft by your halyard. With this setup, a rescuer could safely lower you, working at the winch

I use a grigri and a klemheist to ascend and descend. My right thumb gets a workout on the grigri on descent.
smallFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 11:14   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Look at BENZ's suggestion!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 11:57   #29

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389 37'

Yes I use the ascender and it works great. The way you propose sounds fine to me. It would be good to have someone with you just in case you get into trouble. I haven’t used the harness you mention but it sounds good. I use a standard Burke bosun chair.

I don’t have mast steps but I use two ascenders to climb a taunt halyard and another separate safety line with sliding Climbing knot. This system allows me to climb without assistance.
Tim Litchfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 11:59   #30

Boat: KP 46

I have always used a traditional hand, left and right has worked the best.

When using mast steps, being unencumbered by gear that catches on things, hangs up, reduces your maneuverability etc is (for me) the best, safest, most efficient way.

If you will be there long, hoisting a chair up that you can sit in while doing the work helps (with a downhaul attached).

A lesson from old where climbing the mast was daily thing:"One hand four the ship and one for yourself"

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, rot