Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2020, 12:13   #31

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Re: Fall protection when climbing a stepped mast

Ascenders won't work well for him to descend the mast! The problem with ascenders is that they need to be opened to go back down. Therefore the OP would not have proper safety on the climb down.

Prusik knot! Yeah, I didn't trust it before I tried it.
Prusic is way safer than ascenders IMO

I don't have steps. I go up solo on a pair of ascenders on 1 halyard and a prussic safety on a second halyard, both pulled tight to cleates at the base of the mast. Ascenders are a huge pain to descend with as you have to open one, slide it down, close it, open the 2nd, slide it down, close it, pull the prussic down... you moved 1.5ft... repeat 40 more times!
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 12:20   #32

Boat: C&C 37

Want to be super safe?? Get a full "working at Heights" body harness (you can buy at reasonable cost on-line). Also buy a set of "Trauma Straps", that clip onto the harness so you can support your weight on your feet, not your thighs/crotch when working aloft. Buy a "Rope Grab" like roofers and construction workers use - note they come in various diameters for the line they are to be used on. Attach a short line from your harness D Ring to the Rope Grab.
Affix/cleat/snap a halyard to a suitable deck fitting, and tighten well with a winch, and well cleated. Affix the Rope Grab.
Climb the mast, moving the Rope Grab up as you go. At the top put weight/tug the rope grab to set it. Do your work.
You can use a bosun's chair as well if you like.
If you fall, it will only be for a short distance and the full body harness will spread the load.
RobertoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 12:32   #33

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffel View Post
Don't do this alone.
Its unsafe.
If I were the facility or marina owner I would have to stop you in the act for any number of reasons.
Regardless of whether you have an accident, any methods that tether you to the masthead could leave you unable to get down safely on your own.
(I am and ex rigging installer for North Sales)
Sure it's unsafe. So is sailing. Especially on the ocean.
But I would laugh out loud if a marina employee told me I couldn't climb my own mast. The few marinas I've visited (they generally suck) are consumed by making sure that ANYTHING that happens to you or your boat is not their fault.
Even if it clearly is their fault. Unless I'm violating sanitation rules or endangering another vessel, I've got two words for them and they ain't 'Good luck'. At least regarding servicing my rig.
If our boat is on the hard, or in a slip, I'll climb the mast steps without tying off at all. Of course it's a little different when the mast is swaying...
If I do tie-off, it'll be where I'm working, not going up & down.
We're all such pansies these days! It makes me crazy.
The exception to all this risky behavior would be if the Admiral is around. I might still go aloft alone, but would tie-off to keep the whining down to a dull roar.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 12:44   #34

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoD View Post
Want to be super safe?? Get a full "working at Heights" body harness (you can buy at reasonable cost on-line). Also buy a set of "Trauma Straps", that clip onto the harness so you can support your weight on your feet, not your thighs/crotch when working aloft. Buy a "Rope Grab" like roofers and construction workers use - note they come in various diameters for the line they are to be used on. Attach a short line from your harness D Ring to the Rope Grab.
Affix/cleat/snap a halyard to a suitable deck fitting, and tighten well with a winch, and well cleated. Affix the Rope Grab.
Climb the mast, moving the Rope Grab up as you go. At the top put weight/tug the rope grab to set it. Do your work.
You can use a bosun's chair as well if you like.
If you fall, it will only be for a short distance and the full body harness will spread the load.
There you go. The same gear I use. Although I carry my old, obsolete (and OSHA banned) single safety belt, with a 6' rope lanyard. I also have a 1 foot lanyard. This arrangement would (if I'm wearing it) arrest my fall at least to the point that I could grab onto something. I think. A 1" by 2 foot nylon strap choked around the mast is a decent tie-off point when I get to the work area. As for the rope grab - the one's used on construction sites - they are simple enough to get to descend with; just lift up on the ring as you come down. As you said, making certain the grabbing device is sized exactly for your rope.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 13:32   #35
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Always trail a haul line. This should be a rope you could use as a climbing line (5000# MBS).

• Handy for the tools and parts you forgot.
  • For hauling up the tool bag, rather than climbing with that extra weight on your hip. I never carry my tool bag on the way up; just extra stress on the knees. Easier to haul it up when I get there.
  • Handy if something jams for descending. Some part of your kit, whether whether a Gri-Gri type device, rap devise, or even a stack of carabiners, will allow you to slide down. If you don't have several back-up plans, you shouldn't be up there, at least not solo.
Most of this is about training and practice. Any experienced climber can think of several ways to descend with what ever he has on hand, so long as he has a rope.
Old 15-11-2020, 13:33   #36

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I am very familiar with the Petzl Grigri it has saved me from falls several times. I climb and have a rock wall inside my 2 car garage with pitches running up the underside of the roof. If you use it correctly it will afford you to climb in safety, you will have to remove the slack as you climb and as stated earlier you should be climbing on a dynamic rope as your safety.
If you use this method place two locking carabiners onto the end of your main halyard run the climbing rope though the carabiners raise the main halyard to the mast head
Tie the climbing rope into your harness connect the Grigri into the system, I prefer a 12 inch sewn rated webbing loop connected to my belt and the Grigri to the loop so that the Grigri lands in the upper chest when the slack and load (you) are engaged in the system.
Try the system out over a tree, climb up a ladder with your harness (webbing loop optional) and Grigri (the end fed though your harness the rope up to the high point and then back though the Grigri and the belay end pulled tight when you reach the top of the ladder. Ease back into the harness and let the system take hold, then hold onto the belay end of the rope and ease the action leaver/release the rope lock gently slowly...when you feel comfortable have at it.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 14:27   #37

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlarson1098 View Post
As far as a device that will follow you up without adjustment, you might find something out there but strength and simplicity are the key in my simple mind, So a Jumar climber (similar to the Petzl) like mountaineers have used for decades is still the best.
You would have to stop, 'plant' yourself, and slide the device up above your head now & then - but what's the hurry? After more than 40 years of working at heights, I've never seen - or even heard of one - failing.
As for the Treehog, looks pretty cool! Far better I'm sure than a old school bosun's chair, but a little bulkier maybe to keep around...
One thing about bosun's chairs is that if you spend much time in them, you need at least a simple support for your feet. Otherwise your legs will fall asleep, depending on the seat configuration. Be careful up there.
I'm using a 5 to 1 purchase w a racheting block. And a petzl climbing harness.
For extended stays up the stick, four folding steps give an over the top view of the mast head.
I clip on with a short tether locking carabiners to various hardware on the mast as I climb or desend.
With this set up, I climb unaided, descend, and work comfortably.
The purchase is hauled up on he main halyard and tied off at the base.you can haul a jib halyard w it to be doubly safe.
Never be complacent while up the mast, NEVER stand directly under the mast as someone works on it.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 15:20   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlarson1098 View Post
There you go. The same gear I use. Although I carry my old, obsolete (and OSHA banned) single safety belt, with a 6' rope lanyard. I also have a 1 foot lanyard. This arrangement would (if I'm wearing it) arrest my fall at least to the point that I could grab onto something. I think. A 1" by 2 foot nylon strap choked around the mast is a decent tie-off point when I get to the work area. As for the rope grab - the one's used on construction sites - they are simple enough to get to descend with; just lift up on the ring as you come down. As you said, making certain the grabbing device is sized exactly for your rope.
a. OSHA banned single safety belts because if fatalities. Yes, I tied in to a climbing rope using a bowline on a coil back in the day, but they does not make it safe, particularly if you've got love handles or if you can not get your weight off it in a matter of a few minutes.

b. Jumars can and have failed. The originals could crack their cast bodies (I've seen that) and are no longer made. Cams can fail when the spring fails. NO manufacture will recommend that they are used singly (always in pairs) because of failures.

c. A single choke around the mast will slide down, sometimes fast. Double (prusik) will hold.
Old 15-11-2020, 16:12   #39

Boat: adams 35

For comfort in the bosun's chair I put a suitable sized bit of plywood under my backside.......very comfortable for long stops.
qwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 17:11   #40

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I have pull-out steps up my mast. Given my fear of heights and balance issues. I hire someone more gifted to climb the mast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turning from berth.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	227029  
Old 15-11-2020, 19:56   #41

Boat: 37 ft Aluminium Cutter - Roberts design

Really great information here. Thanks for the views and ideas. Yes, I am setting things up to climb solo. I'd prefer back up but need to be prepared if there's no-one around.

The rope grabs suggested by some are what I'm after. These have really hit the mark. I'll need to check them out in detail and that they are certified (I need that for confidence!) and with what rope dimensions they work. Seems that the King Duck works on 8-15mm dia whereas the (certified) Camp Goblin and Petzl ASAP on 10-11mm/10-13mm. The Petzl is also very pricey down here. The arborists device (eg Sanmum) is an attractive price but needs min 14mm rope whereas ideally I'd like a lower and wider range.

I also like the suggestions of a strop around the mast whilst climbing as an additional fall back-up. Putting Doctor - yep, there are level steps at the top. I'm not sure if the Treehog harness comes with a lanyard. I'm not going to go with it anyway as it's so bulky.
Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 01:22   #42

Boat: Malo 39

In a pre-sailing life my passion was rock climbing and so have some experience of ascender devices.
I would say that they cannot be relied on to ride up the rope hands free. Much will depend on the diameter of the rope, the tightness of the rope (tighter is better) and the lead from the ascender to the harness. You should expect to have slide it up the rope. To come down it will require one hand at least.
You also need to think what to do if you fall and cannot reach the mast ladder.
I would suggest having two ascenders and practice climbing up and down a rope, main halyard for example.

I have gone to the mast alone many times and with the right approach it is no more dangerous that other solo activities.
The technique I use is a climbing technique using a climbing harness and two Petzel ascenders to climb the main halyard. The Petzel micro ascender is attached to the harness and halyard. Below the microascender the Petzel basic has a loop to stand in. As a safety line I use a Prussic knot attached to the topping lift.
It takes some practice but is not difficult. The trick is not to try and slide up (or down) too far with each movement.
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 03:39   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
In a pre-sailing life my passion was rock climbing and so have some experience of ascender devices.
I would say that they cannot be relied on to ride up the rope hands free. Much will depend on the diameter of the rope, the tightness of the rope (tighter is better) and the lead from the ascender to the harness. You should expect to have slide it up the rope. To come down it will require one hand at least.
You also need to think what to do if you fall and cannot reach the mast ladder.
I would suggest having two ascenders and practice climbing up and down a rope, main halyard for example.

I have gone to the mast alone many times and with the right approach it is no more dangerous that other solo activities.
The technique I use is a climbing technique using a climbing harness and two Petzel ascenders to climb the main halyard. The Petzel micro ascender is attached to the harness and halyard. Below the microascender the Petzel basic has a loop to stand in. As a safety line I use a Prussic knot attached to the topping lift.
It takes some practice but is not difficult. The trick is not to try and slide up (or down) too far with each movement.
Martin,
he has mast steps all the way up--all he needs is a toprope self-belay device.
Old 16-11-2020, 04:29   #44

If you have steps all the way, a fall arrest device like the Goblin or ASAP will be literally 3-4 times faster than anything else. You just climb the mast, without having to take a hand away from that the frog around with the acsender. It's the right tool for the job. It's why they were invented. I'm a 40-year climber, I have all sorts of gear, and I use the Goblin for rope soling... which I was doing at the local crag as recent as two days ago. Climbing is not in my past, it remains part of my present.

Yes, you have to hoist a climbing line if none of the halyards are in the correct size range. It also helps a great deal, with ANY of these devices, to tension the belay and climbing lines either with bungee or winch, depending on the details. Climbing rock, you typically coil up the excess rope and use that as a weight.
Old 16-11-2020, 05:30   #45

Tower workers climb using Two large safety hooks attached to their harness. As you climb you can maintain a three point contact with the steps as you alternately move up the hooks as you go. A little bit cumbersome but very safe.
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, rot