Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2020, 22:37   #1

Boat: 37 ft Aluminium Cutter - Roberts design
Fall protection when climbing a stepped mast

Hi All.

There have been many posts about mast-climbing systems and methods but I can't find one that answers my topic.

I have some jobs to do with the VHF aerial and anemometer and fortunately I have fold-away steps to the top of the 50ft mast. That's my climbing system and all steps are rock-solid. I'll be solo and am hunting around for fall protection (not climbing assistance), using the main halyard and possibly also the topping lift as protection lines.

One device I've read about is the Petzl Grigri. I will be focussing on holding onto the steps to climb and descend so wonder if this device will follow me up without adjustment? Any ideas on this or suggestions of other devices? I don't feel confident enough to rely on friction knots such as Kleimheist/Prussic.

Whilst I'm on the subject, does anyone have experience of using this harness (Razorback Treehog)? It's a hybrid between a climbing harness and bosun's chair, which I like as there's sort of a seat when working aloft for a while. It's been recommended/tested in some sailing sites. Please feel free to make other suggestions.

Name:   Razorback Treehog.jpg
Views: 3049
Size:  9.7 KB

Cheers
Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 22:59   #2
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: Fall protection when climbing a stepped mast

My idea is a chest harness, attach the main halyard to the harness. Wrap the halyard line two or three times around the mast winch and then run it through a large jam cleat attached to the mast somewhere. As you climb pull the halyard sheet tight behind you. The jam cleat should stop a fall and the wraps on the winch some heavy friction. I havnt actually tried this yet
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 02:55   #3

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
My idea is a chest harness, attach the main halyard to the harness. Wrap the halyard line two or three times around the mast winch and then run it through a large jam cleat attached to the mast somewhere. As you climb pull the halyard sheet tight behind you. The jam cleat should stop a fall and the wraps on the winch some heavy friction. I havnt actually tried this yet
hmmm...how do you get down with this method of safety line ?

seems like a one-way thing ?

cheers,
Old 15-11-2020, 04:00   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Look for one of many ascender-style devices that rockclimbers and cavers use. There are several that attached to your chest will feed hands-free just fine. I use a Petlz "Croll", but there's also the Gibbs ascender and variations of it. Look also at the Petzl "Protraxion" and "Minitraxion", and if really minimalist, the "Tibloc". All of these and a host of others are designed to follow you hands-free. A grigri (which I use to get back down), requires manually feeding the rope through, at least until you get high up enough that the weight of the hanging tail pulls it through.
That harness is fine: more elaborate than I like (makes it heavy), but it's probably super-comfy.
Old 15-11-2020, 04:03   #5

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

Are you climbing alone?

With 2 people we use 2 lines - main halyard and topping lift

Test both with block to double load before use

Attach rated climbing rope (static line) to topping lift with fig 8 knots. Pull to top of mast.

Attach halyard to harness (dbl fig 8 + 3 action biner)

Attach grigri+ to climbing rope

Assistant winches you up with halyard
You tail climbing rope through grigri

In event of failure of either system, you have seperate sysytem
You can lower yourself with grigri
Assistant can lower you by releasing topping lift and lowering halyard

Grigri+ is good device. Little hard to go very slow, but safe

Mess of clips near chest is a hassle
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 05:25   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I also have the folding steps to the top and at times climb alone.

I bought a “fall arrest” type device, the kind roofers use, from Home Depot or Lowes. Then added some hefty D rings to the harness in front. Next I have 2 relatively short tethers, each with a big clip on each end so they can be operated with one hand.

I climb with one strap/tether around the mast. Each time I lower a step I put the tether over it. At spreaders I put the free tether around the mast over the spreader before undoing the first tether.

Remember a fall arrest device is a bit different than a working belt system. You want to limit ho much you fall but also for the device to not snap your back when it stops you. And you don't want to hang upside down.

Working aoft is different than simply climbing. It is important that your device can support your weight while aloft. And its important to have 2 steps at the top of the mast. Standing in one foot gets old real quick. And you will need to be able to take your weight off your legs for a rest, or to massage a cramp. Often, when at my working height I will double a tether around the mast to hold me closer and give more support.

I have no experience with other systems but am satisfied with what I have. When the Wife is around I will attach a halyard to the big ring high in back. That is an additional safeguard. But frankly I don’t want to trust my life to her line handling skills. Or anyone else for that matter. A year ago I watched a “professional” aloft crew come within a very thin whisker of accidentally dropping a 65’ mast with a man at the top. The line handler got confused and let his line go before securing another. The mast started over and the fellow caught his mistake.

However the man aloft was so shaken, or injured he could not descend. Yet another fellow, who must have been massively strong, brought him down hand over hand on the line. By this time there was a small crowd watching. I had a good clear view from my boat cabin also on the hard.

A mix of both excellent work and some real boners that day. All ended well, barely.

Good luck.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 08:19   #7
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
hmmm...how do you get down with this method of safety line ?

seems like a one-way thing ?

cheers,
Lol....oh yeah. I guess you would want to get down huh? I did say it was untested
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 08:59   #8

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideocean7 View Post
Hi All.

There have been many posts about mast-climbing systems and methods but I can't find one that answers my topic.

I have some jobs to do with the VHF aerial and anemometer and fortunately I have fold-away steps to the top of the 50ft mast. That's my climbing system and all steps are rock-solid. I'll be solo and am hunting around for fall protection (not climbing assistance), using the main halyard and possibly also the topping lift as protection lines.

One device I've read about is the Petzl Grigri. I will be focussing on holding onto the steps to climb and descend so wonder if this device will follow me up without adjustment? Any ideas on this or suggestions of other devices? I don't feel confident enough to rely on friction knots such as Kleimheist/Prussic.

Whilst I'm on the subject, does anyone have experience of using this harness (Razorback Treehog)? It's a hybrid between a climbing harness and bosun's chair, which I like as there's sort of a seat when working aloft for a while. It's been recommended/tested in some sailing sites. Please feel free to make other suggestions.

Attachment 226995

Cheers
As far as a device that will follow you up without adjustment, you might find something out there but strength and simplicity are the key in my simple mind, So a Jumar climber (similar to the Petzl) like mountaineers have used for decades is still the best.
You would have to stop, 'plant' yourself, and slide the device up above your head now & then - but what's the hurry? After more than 40 years of working at heights, I've never seen - or even heard of one - failing.
As for the Treehog, looks pretty cool! Far better I'm sure than a old school bosun's chair, but a little bulkier maybe to keep around...
One thing about bosun's chairs is that if you spend much time in them, you need at least a simple support for your feet. Otherwise your legs will fall asleep, depending on the seat configuration. Be careful up there.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 09:07   #9

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

Don't do this alone.
Its unsafe.
If I were the facility or marina owner I would have to stop you in the act for any number of reasons.
Regardless of whether you have an accident, any methods that tether you to the masthead could leave you unable to get down safely on your own.
(I am and ex rigging installer for North Sales)
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 09:20   #10

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Look up New Tribe recreational climbing belts. Look far more comfortable than a bosun's chair.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 09:24   #11

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I would use two ascenders and a real climbing rope. If you fall the shock loads are very high and might destroy anything that you have in the system. So keep the backup line close and slack short. I think in fall off your steps you should keep yourself within a drop of one step.

A longer fall might just rip out the cleat or whatever you use as an anchor for your line.
NorthCoastJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 09:25   #12

I have fixed steps and use a rope grab like this one

https://www.amazon.ca/Climbing-Ascen...18192780&psc=1

It opens up to fit around my taught 5/8" main or spinnaker halyard, and attaches to my harness chest D ring. It slides up and down with me as I climb the steps, leaving hands free, only grabs to stop sudden fall.

I've tested it...it works..only fell about 1 foot as harness tightens up, and with permanent steps it's easy to regain footing should you slip.

Previously I used a lanyard, hooking and unhooking from steps as I climbed, but found it cumbersome and more risk of a slip than without, so went to the rope grab that is commonly used on roof access ladders.
JohnHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 09:35   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

John Holland,

What you say makes sense and may he an improvement over what I do.

5/8” is a substantial halyard. Most of us will have smaller halyards.

I can see this working with the main halyard on my boat.

However it would he difficult to use on my boat with an inner forestay and then diamonds. The only reasonable way around the diamonds is on the back side.

Are there rope restrictions with this. Wondering how it would work on rope like low stretch 1/2” StaSet or StaSet x. Not a lot of shock absorption there.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2020, 09:39   #14

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I use the strap ladder with slides (Mastmate I think) that you raise on the mainsail track. I use 2 tethers operated same as you do. Use a true climbing rope strung very tightly from top of mast to winch at base of mast. I can hoist the ladder and climbing rope on the main halyard and if my wife is available she will do a second backup using the spare main halyard to a winch.

Use an ascender of your choice. Only one is needed for the fall protection. Ascender attached with about 2 feet of line to harness. Have to slide it up every two steps but it slides easily up the climbing rope.
Going down, ascender is a bit of a pain, but works fine. Just need to move it down each 2 steps. Better than a long fall, no doubt!

I have a harness that was advertised and reviewed as more comfortable than many. But it really is not comfortable after 10 minutes. Much of your weight is on the straps under your legs which gets old real fast. I'm thinking of modifying a bosun's chair by adding a strap from the seat across your waist to hold the bottom of it up against my butt when climbing, to prevent climbing out of it.
Old 15-11-2020, 09:43   #15

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

+3 on ascenders. They are not expensive and allow you to go up and down with safety. They allow you to relax by sitting in harness. I would use 2. Make the halyard pretty tight on the mast winch and cleat off. A tight line is much better to climb up and down. You could also use one. As you climb up, you would slide the ascender up and rest when needed. Then as you go down, depress the thumb release and slide down. Again rest as you need.
I also tie a long line to my tool bag and pull it up after arriving to the top.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, rot