Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 19:36   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Fiberglass Separating at Chainplate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
A64Pilot, where do you get that stuff? I wondered when I was thinking about the original poster if there was something brittle that would do that job.
All kinds of places Aircraft Spruce, Grainger even Amazon
search for “torque seal” that’s a brand name and what most call it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:27   #17

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
Hi all,

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the maintenance forum. Looking for opinions.

See image here: https://i.imgur.com/i5saO6W.jpg

This is the port aft lower shroud on my 37' cutter.

You can see here what looks like fiberglass tabbing is pulling up. Nothing noticeable moving under sail (was out just yesterday in 15-20 knots with plenty of sail up) - but the single chainplate has moved up (looks like anyway) probably about 1/32" above the deck - I can tell because there is some sealant etc. just barely visible.

There is also some separation of the wood shelving on the outside of the feature here of the boat that caused me to inspect this area. It has been like this since last season.

There isn't anything noticeable yet on the upper shroud area - both port and starboard have been inspected and look okay other than this one shroud.

What I'd like some second opinions on:

1) Is this very serious? (my guess is no - maybe sail her a little easier for a while but fix it over the winter).

2) Also how would you go about repairing?

3) Any other thoughts?

I will inspect the deck core for softness. There is one area not anywhere near the shrouds that may have some softness issues, but I will make sure I check around the chainplates.

Thanks for reading!

I love when they lay a thick coat of paint over the structural parts. You need to get rid of all "cosmetics" stuff in order to asses if structural component(woven roving is failing) under stress.

paint tends to crack, while fiberglass can flex. Boat is working. You need to grind all that paint off and see what you really have.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 14:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
I love when they lay a thick coat of paint over the structural parts. You need to get rid of all "cosmetics" stuff in order to asses if structural component(woven roving is failing) under stress.

paint tends to crack, while fiberglass can flex. Boat is working. You need to grind all that paint off and see what you really have.
I may do this, but want to avoid it for at least the next few weeks while we are sailing!

I'm actually in the process of pulling off the foam & carpet that exists in many areas on this boat and will be putting a coat of paint over the hull as it comes out.

Here's updated photos (sorry I didn't get to go yesterday - but was able to make it out today): https://imgur.com/a/2CNHu1t

See comments in the album!

I'm becoming more convinced this is the shelf dropping and there aren't any issues with the structural components of the boat, and it is safe to sail.

When I had the chainplates off about 1.5 years ago there was NO softness of these knees. I probed all the bolt holes and everything was fine.
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 14:40   #19

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Looks like you’re storing too much beer on that shelf then!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:46   #20

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
That's for the rum. Beer goes in the fridge.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:26   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I think I agree!

Shelf doesn't move at all up or down and I really pushed on it hard trying to get something to budge. Maybe I'll see if I can jack it up or something to fasten it back to the knee...
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass