Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 07:03   #1

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Fiddle blocks twisting the lines

I have several fiddle blocks onboard, and am having trouble with twisting.

The first two photos are of the blocks for the dinghy davits. Both are reeved identically. The line for the bow of the dinghy does not twist at all, but the line for the stern does. It will be nice and straight for the first few times I use it, and then will start exhibiting the twist you see here. I believe it is because I often leave the outboard on the dinghy when I hoist it, therefore this line is under greater tension. I just recently started using the davits so this is a new problem for me.

The last photo is of a portion of the mainsheet. Only the portion of the mainsheet to the left is twisted in this photo, but the center portion commonly twists, also. I have had twisting of the mainsheet for years but have never found a solution.

Anyone have thoughts on why this is occurring?

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5351.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	453.2 KB
ID:	239476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5352.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	239477  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5353.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	239478  
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 07:28   #2

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Re: Fiddle blocks twisting the lines

If you have the bitter end on a winch then that could be introducing twist into the line.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 07:37   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

One end has a swivel. Lock it (most have a mechanism to do this), no more problem.
Old 31-05-2021, 08:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
If you have the bitter end on a winch then that could be introducing twist into the line.
The mainsheet has a winch, of course, but not the dinghy hoist. That's just done by me hauling on the line by hand. The winch theory doesn't help explain my problem with the dinghy hoist. Thanks, though!

Cheers!

Steve
Old 31-05-2021, 08:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
One end has a swivel. Lock it (most have a mechanism to do this), no more problem.
Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't help me. The fiddle blocks for the dinghy lift do not have a means to lock the swivel.

The boom block for the mainsheet does have a means to lock the block. I tried this four or five years ago and it turned out to not be a permanent solution, although I forget why. In any event, locking the block does nothing to prevent the line from twisting, it just keeps the block from rotating. You still wind up with twists in the line that can cause problems as the twists build up.

Since only one of the dinghy hoist lines is having this problem, I can't help but think it is due to load on the line.

Cheers!

Steve
Old 31-05-2021, 09:07   #6

Boat: Seawind 1000 XL

A few years ago I switched from a 4 part to 6 part tackle when I got a larger dingy engine. It worked fine but recently the line started twisting and rolling out of the sheeve. I think it was the line getting old and less flexible after a few years in the sun and rain. I just switched from 29mm to 57mm blocks and from double braid to single braid dyneema and the dingy almost floats up. I will let you know if this is a permanent fix in a few years.
Richard Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 09:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Harper View Post
A few years ago I switched from a 4 part to 6 part tackle when I got a larger dingy engine. It worked fine but recently the line started twisting and rolling out of the sheeve. I think it was the line getting old and less flexible after a few years in the sun and rain. I just switched from 29mm to 57mm blocks and from double braid to single braid dyneema and the dingy almost floats up. I will let you know if this is a permanent fix in a few years.
Thanks, Richard. I will say that the lines for my dinghy hoist are about five years old and mainsheet perhaps seven years. Both are double braid.

Steve
Old 31-05-2021, 09:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't help me. The fiddle blocks for the dinghy lift do not have a means to lock the swivel.

The boom block for the mainsheet does have a means to lock the block. I tried this four or five years ago and it turned out to not be a permanent solution, although I forget why. In any event, locking the block does nothing to prevent the line from twisting, it just keeps the block from rotating. You still wind up with twists in the line that can cause problems as the twists build up.

Since only one of the dinghy hoist lines is having this problem, I can't help but think it is due to load on the line.

Cheers!

Steve

I'm suspect you can lock it with some rigging wire.

And yes, you do need to figure out where the twist is coming from. Line construction can contribute, but only with relatively new line. It may be something in how you handle the line. (Yes, I've had fiddle blocks to hoist a dinghy with fiddle blocks.

FWIW, I switched mine to 6X blocks with a cam cleat. Much easier.
Old 31-05-2021, 09:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post

Steve,

thinwater is right. Just because only one is giving you a problem doesn't mean that it won't in future if it isn't locked. Think glass half empty or half full....

I had the same problem on a fiddle block in 1998. My PO had tied thin cord around the swivel to stop it from turning. The cord wore out. I replaced the cord, then later got the right block.

Secure the block, it is not the line nor the load.

Good luck.

PS - Heck, try securing the block from swiveling with something temporary and see if that does the trick. What do you have to lose?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 14:57   #10

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

Might it be how you are coiling the line is inducing twist? See here:

https://youtu.be/vX4Zr0vdGHE

depending on the rope type and line length, I will use different methods.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 15:04   #11

Boat: CS 27

This May seem unconventional but unreeve the problem block and re-reeve it but starting the line from the opposite end. If the line is running against its normal construction it is possible it is inducing extra twist into the line. I know this can help with thread, might help with rope.
jooa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 15:16   #12

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Before you invest in new lines or blocks, take the line off and soak it in warm water overnight to remove any salt. Rinse, then put the line in a pillowcase and into a washing machine. Add only fabric softener and wash on a heavily soiled setting. Take the line out of the pillowcase and stretch it out to air dry, in as straight a line as possible. If space doesn't permit this, coil it in the largest loops possible to let it air dry. The line should now be softer and guessing it through the shelves should not induce any further twists.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 16:42   #13

It's how you coil the line. That video is terrible.

1st coil

1 line in lft hnd, line to coil hangs down in front of you.

2 put rt hnd out flat, palm down, tilt hand, rt side down, thumb is up.

3 reach down on RIGHT side of hanging line and grab line, thumb is up

4 bring line up twisting hand to left thumb toward you and lay line in left hand

2nd coil

1same

2 put rt hand out flat palm down, tilt hand to left, thumb down

3 reach down on LEFT side of hanging line and grab line, thumb is down

4 bring line up, hand will twist to right, thumb away from you and lay line in left hand

Repeat alternating each coil.
No more twisted line. (if you start out with untwisted line)
val99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 17:06   #14

Boat: adams 35

Retired my old mainsheet and replaced it with a brand new line. After two yrs of frequent removal and untwisting of new line I threw it out and replaced it with a different brand. Problem solved. All were double braid.
I think that sometimes someone in the rope factory has set the tension wrongly in one of the threads and this induces a permanent twisting tension in the rope. The rope still has plenty of strength so chop it into dock lines or something similar.
qwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 17:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by val99 View Post
It's how you coil the line. That video is terrible.

1st coil

1 line in lft hnd, line to coil hangs down in front of you.

2 put rt hnd out flat, palm down, tilt hand, rt side down, thumb is up.

3 reach down on RIGHT side of hanging line and grab line, thumb is up

4 bring line up twisting hand to left thumb toward you and lay line in left hand

2nd coil

1same

2 put rt hand out flat palm down, tilt hand to left, thumb down

3 reach down on LEFT side of hanging line and grab line, thumb is down

4 bring line up, hand will twist to right, thumb away from you and lay line in left hand

Repeat alternating each coil.
No more twisted line. (if you start out with untwisted line)

That could also be it. I learned as a rock climbing, 40 years ago, repeatedly coiling 160-foot lines on a mountainside, to NEVER make a "store" coil. I also use and electric mower and work with hoses. The are even more prone to kinks and twist than rope. Either figure 8 or do as described above. Looks don't matter, only how it plays out. Common coiling methods can really twist lines.