Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2008, 07:04   #1

Flexiteek and other teak deck substitutes - any thoughts

I am replacing a the deck on a 1968 cheoy lee 31. I was intending to just replacing the teak deck but it is hard not to notice the teak substitutes. Fiberglass is to boring. Cheap is not better if it looks ugly and fake
grefark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 17:20   #2

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I was thinking about putting down TekDek. It's a bit more expensive than teak, but with no screw-holes, and it will probably outlive me (and I'm in my 30's).

My hesitation (ironically) is that I don't really care for the 'gleaming new yacht' look, and I prefer my wood to look a bit weathered. I'm worried that a synthetic deck will look like a brand new wood deck, forever.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 17:56   #3

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat
Why bother fg with some type of nonslip is functional, cheaper , and when done right can be very attractive. We have a classic S&S wood 6 meter and elected to do glass decks with two part paint-very functional good looking and protects underlying surfaces.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 19:00   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I was thinking about putting down TekDek. It's a bit more expensive than teak, but with no screw-holes, and it will probably outlive me (and I'm in my 30's).
You don't have the screw down real teak. It's been done for years with adhesive. They could not do in the old days because it was not invented. The new style looks as nice with no holes. Paying more than reak teak isn't worth it.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 20:07   #5
GreatKetch

I think teak decks are the beautiful, and are the best nonskid surface around. But if I was sailing south of about 40 deg I'd never have one. They get hot as hell under foot inthe tropical sun, and that heat transmits into the boat cabin. But if you have to have one...

This is the way modern way to install them which might be the way that Pblais was suggesting above: EPOXYWORKS

I haven't used this method on deck, but did use it for my cabin sole. It was simple, and gave a great result.

Tags
teak deck