Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 09:05   #1

forestay

Hi, just snapped my forestay on my catalina 22, 1979. Anyone have any idea where I can buy a new one? Seems difficult to find. Any alternatives? Thanks
capt_ron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 09:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: forestay

Any sailboat rigger can make you one pretty cheaply or you could make your own. Get the dimension and call one.

You might mention what country or what part of the world you're in to get the best recommendation.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:06   #3

Boat: Oyster 435

I agree with the above post. Or you can order the whole deal from Catalina Direct for under $100 USD.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-...blyc-22-lt-85/
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 11:06   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Welcome to the forum, Capt. Ron. Care to share what happened? That sounds like a get-your-attention moment.
Old 12-11-2020, 12:02   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

In addition to the above advice, I'd suggest a very careful look at all the other standing rigging. The forestay tends to be the first to go, but age alone can degrade the 304 s/s wire that older Catalinas used, and if a shroud fails the mast will likely be toast as well.

Years ago I lost two masts on my very early Cat-22 (hull #61) racing on SF Bay, but in both cases it was spreader failure that caused the loss. But then I began to worry and upgraded the rigging one size. Dunno about yours, but on mine there were no proper terminals on the wires, just Nicopressed eyes. Bad practice, but easy for a DIYer to accomplish at home.

Good luck with your repair.

Jim
Old 12-11-2020, 13:12   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Welcome to the forum, Capt. Ron. Care to share what happened? That sounds like a get-your-attention moment.

Belated welcome
First post after being a forum member for almost six years

As others have said, your location would help when asking where to source something.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 08:16   #7

thank you all for great advice. This was one of those not to be believed stories. I have a home in the baja and brought the boat down last nov. When we got here it was as atropical storm hit. No boat in the water. Then we returned in March and covid hit. Gov't didn't allow pleasure boats in water, just fishing. No boat in the water. Got here this year and really looking forward to it. WE live in an isolated area without much in the way of obstacles, but just by my house ther is an electrical line that runs across the road to the beach, so mast has to down, In any event before we took it to launch off the beach. Nodocks, ramps here, I decided to raise mast at house to refresh myself and to check out rigging. Everything went great. Have agin pole that works beautifully. So, had backstay in place, rear 2 shroads in place and it went up beautifully. But, the roller furling was off by about an inch and i could not get the forestay placed. So, very stupidly I released the back stay to maybe release some tension and still could not get the pin in. THEN, forgetting I took out the backstay I unloaded thleft rear stay thinking I would get more leeway and in one sec. the whole mast went crashing forward. Disaster. To make it worse my pickup was still attached to the trailer and one of the spreaders hit it and busted the rear window of the cab. Horrible.After much beating myself up, got it all placed out and to my surprise the only damage to rigging was the forestay cable wher it attaches to the mast. I t tore about 4 strands of the cable, but clearly too much to take any chance. Hence, the need for a new forstay. Now, my problem is finding a new piece of glaas to fit the cab, buthats for another day.Obviously very hard to tell this story admitting my stupid mistake, But maybe it will help someone else from doing the same thing. Thanks for all your help and listening. I'll never make that mistake again, just a hundread others!
capt_ron777 is offline   Reply With Quote