Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2019, 12:25   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
forestay tangs suggestions for a removable inner stay

i am starting to put together the supply list for a removable inner stay. I wasn't expect the tangs to be that expensive?
https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/SparPa...Forestay_Tangs
K-19060-10 is what i was thinking and they over 300$
The boat is albin vega 27 footer. Thanks in advance.
littledevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 13:10   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: forestay tangs suggestions for a removable inner stay

IMO stay away from Rigrite.

I needed a replacement chock for my Goiot toe rail recently and the Rigrite price was five times the cost of getting it from France and shipping it to the U.S. A third of the price was shipping. Since they are a stocking dealer they buy in quantity the per piece shipping cost is far less. On other occasions through the years I have been similarly shocked at their prices for other rigging components.

Try Garhauer. They are very reasonably priced and also do custom work at reasonable prices. They custom made masthead sheeves for me for a very good price when Rigrite couldn't come close with off the shelf parts.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 19:36   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

Are you planning to sail regularly in conditions that would warrant hoisting a storm jib on an inner forestay? On an Albin Vega it might be better not to head out in such conditions. The sailplan for the Vega does show a storm jib - hoisted on the forestay. It does not look like there is much room on the foredeck to hoist another one that would be big enough to be of much use. Too far forward it will interfere with the regular jib, and you might just as well use the forestay for the storm sail. Too far aft and the storm sail will be too small to work with the mast in the way. The tang looks like it would have to cut through the v-berth in a most inconvenient spot in order to be properly secured to the stem. Not only would it have to penetrate what looks like a water tank, but it could also interfere with connubial bliss in port. Why do you need this?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 07:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
IMO stay away from Rigrite.

I needed a replacement chock for my Goiot toe rail recently and the Rigrite price was five times the cost of getting it from France and shipping it to the U.S. A third of the price was shipping. Since they are a stocking dealer they buy in quantity the per piece shipping cost is far less. On other occasions through the years I have been similarly shocked at their prices for other rigging components.

Try Garhauer. They are very reasonably priced and also do custom work at reasonable prices. They custom made masthead sheeves for me for a very good price when Rigrite couldn't come close with off the shelf parts.
Thanks. I ended up getting this
https://www.atlanticriggingsupply.com/wiriattaw18p.html we will see if its up to the task. It was way cheaper though.
Old 17-10-2019, 08:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Are you planning to sail regularly in conditions that would warrant hoisting a storm jib on an inner forestay? On an Albin Vega it might be better not to head out in such conditions. The sailplan for the Vega does show a storm jib - hoisted on the forestay. It does not look like there is much room on the foredeck to hoist another one that would be big enough to be of much use. Too far forward it will interfere with the regular jib, and you might just as well use the forestay for the storm sail. Too far aft and the storm sail will be too small to work with the mast in the way. The tang looks like it would have to cut through the v-berth in a most inconvenient spot in order to be properly secured to the stem. Not only would it have to penetrate what looks like a water tank, but it could also interfere with connubial bliss in port. Why do you need this?
Thanks, you are right on point. This questions has been bugging me as well. To start with, i have a roller furler attached 150% genoa and i love it. In hudson river, being inland water body, winds are usually lighter. But sometimes it blows and and i head out. I am a bit of dreamer, equipped with a harness integrated auto PFD and tethers/jacklines. I read about big/strong conditions, ocean passages. This stuff combined with who i am, i invest on preparing the vega for more serious sailing and she is the right boat in my opinion for the conditions that i would sail, which is not really the crazy stuff but the conditions that i would describe challenging.
I have spend some time below deck in near the chain locker, forepeak with a flashlight on my hand. There are some problems as you have mentioned. The chain locker bulkhead is paper thin and not glassed in or anything just being held with small bolts to the 2 inch wide fiberglass flange. Water tank is under the forepeak, making the ordeal of tying the stay to a in line strong point harder.
I have a hank on storm jib in almost new codition on hand so thats another reason for me to go for it.
You are right, Its a tigh area on the forepeak. Initially i imagined the forestay would be somewhere within 1/3 of the distance between the stem and the mast. But hoisted the storm jib for trial and it overlaps the mast if its installed like that. So i decided to move the plan a bit more forward. Above the chain locker. i guess it would make it more like a solent if my lingo is right. Most parts are ordered and for the fact that i have a furler, i am leaning towards doing it. My main aim is to sail better upwind in an upper velocities.
Old 17-10-2019, 10:48   #6

Boat: Sabre 402

They make storm sails that you can hoist over a r/f jib. Might be cheaper, easier, quicker, better, to have your existing storm jib refitted to allow that, or to get a new sail. (It’s not that big.) You also have to figure out how to attach things to the mast, and how the mast will react to the strain in a new place. (Running backstays?) You won’t be able to attach the new stay at the masthead because it will interfere with your existing r/f jib. K.I.S.S. You might also find that your boat handles just fine in a gale under just a reefed main - with the jib simply rolled up, and nothing set forward. Ours does. We went out in 40+ knots to find out, and managed to hit 12.5 knots going dead downwind.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 12:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
They make storm sails that you can hoist over a r/f jib. Might be cheaper, easier, quicker, better, to have your existing storm jib refitted to allow that, or to get a new sail. (It’s not that big.) You also have to figure out how to attach things to the mast, and how the mast will react to the strain in a new place. (Running backstays?) You won’t be able to attach the new stay at the masthead because it will interfere with your existing r/f jib. K.I.S.S. You might also find that your boat handles just fine in a gale under just a reefed main - with the jib simply rolled up, and nothing set forward. Ours does. We went out in 40+ knots to find out, and managed to hit 12.5 knots going dead downwind.
The tang will be installed about 3 feet below the masthead. i expect to be ok without the running backstays since the tang will not be mid mast. I also think 3 feet should be clear of the R/F gear.
I get the K.I.S.S but i am the keeper for the vega, perhaps my "forever" boat. I would like to explore what can be done. Admitted, it would be easier if there was more information out there directly related to her.
I have no problem going downwind as well. Actually the vega loves going downwind regardless. But upwind progress can be better. I have seen some pictures of the gale sail which goes over the furler. If i remember correctly, they were pricy as well. With a wire stay, i may be able to grab cheaper hank on sails and try different combinations. Even as a redundancy plan, an extra stay may be something beneficial.
With my limited experience, i do not think vega sails upwind efficiently under the main only. Considerable drifting to the leeward with little progress was my observation.
Old 17-10-2019, 12:56   #8

That's a real ripoff. You must be able to find that elsewhere. I think the last one I bought years ago was like $25

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote