Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017, 10:53   #31

Boat: Still looking for the fight boat.
Re: From Schooner to Sloop?

Hey everyone.
Sorry for not replying but I'm at work at the moment (2 weeks at the time), so not much time for pleasure.
Anyway I think we keep on looking elsewhere. There is just to many if's.
If I can work post a link to the boat I will, at least the thread can continue.
This could be our dream boat, but it could also turn in to our worse nightmare. And I can't afford to take the chance.
It needs a lot of work before a sea trail would be possible, and by then I would be pretty much in the deep end. So...... we are not taking the chance.
But thank you for all your answers.
Here is a long to the boat

1985 Alfa Yacht Vaalia 48 Sejl Båd til salg - www.yachtworld.dk
Skaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:00   #32

I just wrote a long reply to all of you, but then I posted a link to the boat, and it said
Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting.
So lesson learned. No links :-)
Anyway I wanted to post a link to the boat, but it dos er look like it's possible.
So we have decided not to go any further with the boat. There is just to many if's and we can't afford to make that mistake.
But thank you all for replying.
I'll se if I can post a photo of the boat. At least the thread can go on, and if someone else wanna take the chance.
If it's done correctly this could be an amazing boat for little $$$
Again thank you all.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:04   #33

Photos of the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1032.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	440.0 KB
ID:	157221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1033.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	157222  

Old 06-10-2017, 16:55   #34

Your link worked and that is clearly one of the modern French schooners. The hull and deck layout are very near to what I considered buying years ago. The rig looks nice, but looks dont mean it will sail well. It is rare to see an engine that looks brand new like the photo. If the rest of the boat has been well maintained, it might be a good buy, but a grand or so to a N.A. would be well spent. Also, the size of the individual sails on a 48 foot sloop can be a lot of work to handle. Your choice???? ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 19:43   #35

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
As I said earlier:
Assumption #1 : The designer knew what he was doing. (this could be a bad assumption!)
a) If you have the layout of the schooner rig you can find the CE of the sails with that.
b) Now layout the CE of your current sloop design. If they are anywhere close to the same location... dont worry.

Just looking visually at Panope's conversion, my gut says she must have lee helm now if she balanced well before? Lee helm isn't near as noticeable as weather helm though. But some people like that easy helm. I do. Others think it's the end of the world if you dont have weather helm.
This is exactly the process I used to design my new rig. It was a challenge getting the CE located in the same fore/aft position. It required a small head sail and adding great lengths to the boom and gaff.

That said, if I could wave a magic wand, I would move the CE a skoch FORWARD. The boat currently has neutral helm in very very light air. As the boat heals, weather helm builds. I'd gladly trade some of that weather helm for some LEE helm in light conditions.

The new rig CE is higher than before. What I failed to consider, is that it is also further OUTBOARD due to the very long boom. Both of these traits will increase weather helm.

Make no mistake, I am completely satisfied with the current sail balance. I'd only consider another 'tweak' when my current mains'l needs replacing. An event that may not occur during my lifetime.

Steve

Here's a shot showing how far outboard the main is:
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:28   #36

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post

-I like tinkering/experimenting.

"Like", as in "I like to breathe".
Old 07-10-2017, 04:11   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Skaal,

Not a nautical architect but can report on different mast placements on my specific boat.

I have a Pearson 42. The boat came in two versions, 422 and 424. Same hull and rig, only difference is the location of the cockpit and interior layout.

The first few boats in this series were ketch and sloop rigs. Both used the same location of the main mast, just removed the mizzen for the sloop. Later the main mast was moved about 3' aft for the sloop and then a cutter rig. None of the owners of any version reports any unbalance in the rig or sailing characteristics.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sloop