Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 18:27   #16

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: fuel filler nozzle too large diameter

The threads on my fuel fill are 1-1/4" NPT. I have a 1-1/4" nipple, 1-1/4" X 2" bushing, and a 2" coupling that stay screwed together. Screwed into the fuel fill, they solve the fit problem although I can not fill at full flow. It is small enough to store along with a paper towel in a zip-lock bag.

The fellow at Tidewater in Norfolk handed me the nozzle and said, "Cap'n, it 40 gallons per minute and the kick-off didn't work this morning".
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:27   #17

Lightbulb Re: fuel filler nozzle too large diameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I find another fuel dock, the ones that advertise high flow don’t really want sailboats anyway.
The ones that do will have interchangeable nozzles and often a ball valve right at the pump so they can turn the flow down, then the Big Sportfisherman pulls up, put big nozzle on and open the ball valve. Those that don’t do that simple mod, I feel don’t want us.

On edit, I have seen the cleanway advertised, but never used one, it might work for this, but seems centered on preventing spills. But I know I’m full when it begins to spit from the vent.
https://www.iboats.com/shop/clean-wa...EaAqP8EALw_wcB
A personal problem that I discovered was that on my Catalina 30 fuel tank vent line a plastic retainer had broken and the vent line had a "sag" in it. somewhere along the line, on an overfill, the sag had been filled with fuel. I.E. No vent. The result was poor feed with lots of burping and messy fill/restricted fill rate. Fixing the clamp, removing the vent line restriction made filling much smoother.
georgeg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 16:50   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52
Re: fuel filler nozzle too large diameter

I have a baja filter, I never put fuel in tank with out going through this filter, makes it easy to control high volume pumps. Once you have your tank cleaned out and spotless inside you do not want any chance of dirt or water getting into your tank, so easy to avoid with a good filter funnel
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel