Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2022, 06:19   #16

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Full (Luff to Leech) battens vs partial

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Yes, you can reef any slab-reefing mainsail on any point of sail, including DDW. There are two main methods, which should work for both single line and two line reefing setups. If we can do it with swept back spreaders and cap shrouds and full battens, I’m positive you can do it.

Of course, it is easier to reef when on a wind angle where the mainsheet can be eased enough to depower the mainsail before dragging against the rig is easier. But if that’s a 120* course change that’s not so nice.

For both methods the first step is to move the boom to the centreline and move the traveller well to windward so that the main sheet is not holding the boom down tight. However, mainsail twist should be limited to keep the top part of the sail off the rig, so traveller position is a bit of a juggling act. If you have a bang it should be left loose.

Method 1 is brute force. Alternately grind in a bit of clew line until it becomes really tight, then lower the halyard until the sail starts to sag against the rig, then grind in the clew line some more. Repeat until the reef clew is made and you connect the reef tack. Take up the halyard, clean up the lines, and you’re done. Take up the mainsheet and lower the traveller until you’re properly trimmed.

Method 2 uses the mainsheet winch for the hard work (rather than the reefing winch, which is likely smaller, used in method 1). But method 2 will require two people if your halyard winch is at your mast. Ease the mainsheet until the sail just lays against the rig and bring in the clew line, lifting the boom. Lower the halyard until the sail just lays against the rig again, ease the mainsheet more and bring in the clew line, lifting the boom again. Repeat until the clew is made. Then lower the halyard bring in the mainsheet until the tack is made and the leech is tight. For large reefs the halyard lowering and graunching the mainsheet may need to be repeated. When done, lower the traveller and you’re done.
Interesting to read and think about. I'm a little worried about pulling the sail hard with the clew line when the halyard is not tight but mostly what I feel would happen is that in a heavy breeze the boat (which is gonna be rolling) is going to take a big roll and then round up.

The last time we did reef in big winds which came rather suddenly and caught us out with full sail was to prep the halyard and round up quickly and drop the sail a bunch at the mast, then bear off again, tension the halyard and take up the clew line.

(We were south of Madagascar and the conditions had turned horrible quite quickly while both Judy and I were asleep, but we got the sail area off and things were OK. This impressed the crew greatly.)
Old 18-08-2022, 07:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
So I'm about to order new sails and may go back to what I had when racing which was always luff to leech full battens. (for the mainsail)

When racing I had sets of battens for heavy wind races and light wind races.

I don't race these days but feel these type battens will help with sail shape/shaping etc.

What do you use and why?

Or does it even matter to cruisers....?
Sail lofts like partial battens. They are cheap to ship and the sails don't last as long. Good sail makers know battens improve the sale and extend its life. Every partial batten sail I have ever seen shows extensive wear at the end of the batten that is in the middle of the sail.
Sailorman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 11:07   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

How many sailors have seen their standard main "shorty" battens disappear during the night ?

It's like a gremlin climbs up the leech, frays the the small diameter retainer line or velcro flap and makes off with the batten, which is never to be seen again.

Count me as one, that has had more than one batten escape it's pouch.

There is nothing worse, than trying to trim a main, with a fluttering leech.

Full battens address this problem in a good way.

I may investigate having batten pockets sewn into the leech of the genny. Nothing worse than having a genny with a hook along the leech. They'd have to be vertical off course, but nothing wrong with that.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2022, 15:47   #19

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I have both but much prefer the one with full battens
Old 22-08-2022, 09:00   #20

Boat: Oyster 435

Some thoughts regarding mainsail battens from a respected loft.
https://pineapplesails.com/articles/fullbatt.htm
Personally I prefer partially battened mainsails but understand the benefites of full battens. Like most things this choice is a trade off.
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 09:16   #21

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuru View Post
Some thoughts regarding mainsail battens from a respected loft.
https://pineapplesails.com/articles/fullbatt.htm
Personally I prefer partially battened mainsails but understand the benefites of full battens. Like most things this choice is a trade off.
Good info and explains why all my racing beach cat mainsails came with full length battens except the spinnaker of course but the spinnakers on my boats were really flat.

You could still sail pretty low with those flat spinnakers though if you were going fast enough for the apparent wind to come around

As far as my old Bristol, I may use the old sails (rags) I have for a bit longer.......(main is 10 years old and jib older than that. It was the PO's)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N17s.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	263227   Click image for larger version

Name:	N17m.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	263228  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 09:39   #22

Boat: C&C 41

Full length battens are great. One point that was not emphasized enough in the comments is that in a breeze the battens cause a lot of forward thrust. This is great for sailing, but a problem when it comes to pulling the sail down. After I retrofitted my main sail with full battens it took three crew members to pull her down. I solved the problem with a Strong Track from Tides Marine.
kvstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 09:42   #23

Boat: Cal 33-2

I've had several different batten configurations over the years. All partials back in the day, one full at the top on my previous boat's club race main, and all full length on the main that came with my current boat. When I replaced my main a few years ago I went two full length at the top and the bottom 2 partials. I hated the locked in shape and extra weight of the full batten sail. Very happy with the new 2+ 2 configuration.
JimsCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2022, 11:45   #24

Boat: Bristol 27

I tried one of my beach cat's mainsails one time without battens and the boat was super slow.

Not sure how much difference they will make with my Bristol 27 though.

Beach Cat SA/Disp is around 76.52 so the sails can really make a difference and the battens (which I had two sets of for different wind strengths)

Bristol 27 SA/Disp is 14.28
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote