Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2009, 19:55   #16

Boat: Cooper 416
Call Leesailmakers ltd I picked up my Full Batten Main for my Cooper 416 for $2092.00 Delivery included to my door.Took 5 weeks best deal around.9.3 challange high mobius Rutgeson Battens and cars triple stiched 6 point zigzag stich, leather two reefs one deep 50% down final on satisfaction. Nobody else even came close.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 20:42   #17
Marine Service Provider

I'd have fully battened over anything else any day. Less noise, last longer, better at holding shape for longer, lot easier to manage any shape and the best bit is they are easier to stack away. Great with lazy jacks.

Downsides - cost but you'd probably save the extra cost by having a sail which lasts longer. Getting them up and down. They can be a bit sticky on some rigs but are OK on most.

My current one is fully battened and has bolt rope. It works very well but the bolt rope is abit of an arse as you have to roll up the main when down. On slides or cars it would be perfect. It's now 7 years old but looks almost brand new. And I have a bendy rig with lots of roach, usually the worse for getting fully battened up and down on.

A batten less main - never ever ever even if paid a lot or given one.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 07:25   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
I'm still waiting for the quote from lee sails and that might change my mind. Might be harder to convince my wife but that's a different story. If we didn't have a house to renovate there would be a new sail on my boat.

S/V Illusion/Kiteboarder: I agree, I'm having a hard time buying a used sail over the phone. The seller is Bacon Sails in Annapolis. I think most things I have read about them has been very positive.

When I called them they actually pulled the sail out and laid it on the ground. I wanted to know what the moderate/heavy soil was and how big of an area it covered. He said he can't tell his clients that yes you will be able to clean it, but he though it could be cleaned. Even if it does not come out, not a bit deal as it's along the foot. He also commented that the sail was in better condition than what he expected.

Now, obviously he is trying to sell me a sail and would say thing like that but based on these peoples reputation, I think they play a fair game and say it like it is.

I guess I'll find out
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 07:41   #19

Boat: Manta 40- "Savannah"
I would not encourage you to buy a used sail if you can afford a new one. That said, Bacon is very reputable and have an excellent staff. I deal with them a lot. The fact that they spent the extra time for you to go over a used sail and give you a detailed second opinion should be commended. A lot of sail makers wouldn't spend that much individual time with you on a $3000 sail. Most people do not realize the time involved in selling used sails is much greater than in new ones and the profit is much smaller.
Sail Warehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 12:22   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I have a fully battened main made by North in 2004. I love it, but.....

My old main was also fully battened and a royal pain to raise and lower due to the sail slugs binding in the track. When I put the new main on I also had them add the Tidal Marine track system. While it might not be quite as nice as the Harken system, it was one third the cost. It makes a world of difference. I have my main set up with Dutchman flaking so when I go forward to lower the main all I have to do is release the line clutch and 2-3 seconds later the main is down and at leastly roughly furled. A tug here a pull there and it's ready for sail ties and the cover.

So... full battens are great but really need some kind of track systems with cars for the battens to be fully operational IMO.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 14:53   #21
Marine Service Provider

Hoisting the sail is one of the things I am a little worried about. It does have batten cars made by Rutgerson. It has little wheels that roll up the face of the mast and a flat slide to guide it up. I think this is the same system that comes with the Lee sails that I was looking at. I read reviews that on big sails they could be a bit of a nightmare, but on smaller ones, much better.

I don't think the Rutgerson system is the better choice out there, we'll have to see how it works.
Old 10-08-2009, 16:34   #22
Marine Service Provider

Well it's been a while before I had a chance to update you on this used sail I got but better late than never.

First off, very happy with the sail!!! the moderate soil came out like a charm and to be honest it almost looks like a new sail. I don't know if I got lucky or not with this sail as it's my first used sail purchase. Once i got the sail I located a few numbers near the head and called Mack sails to find out what they signified. Turns out the sail was made in 2001 and according to the Mack rep, they only use the best cloths for all their sails (bias of course..lol)

The sail performs 10 times better than my old one!! And after having sold my original for 150 I was only 500 out of pocket for this sail. Some of you said to look into a new sail at lofts such as Lee Sails but they wanted $3000.

The only complaint that I have is that it took a few tries for them to send the battens. But after I called and they realized what happened, they expressed ship them to me right away.

So again, not sure if I was lucky or not with this sail, but two thumbs up for Bacon Sails!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 22:09   #23

Boat: Cooper 416
Glad you found a deal.Bacon makes a great sail.I look at one they had at there loft but it was just off on the foot and had no hardware attached so I couldn't hoist it with out cost.So no matter how it fit I would own it.William Kwan in Vancouver at Lee Sails Ltd took good care of my order.Best. Redcoat
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote