Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2013, 16:54   #46

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Re: Fully-Battened vs 'Battenless'

I cruised full time for 4 years with a full batten main. Loved it.
I had an aluminum mast, with a slot for flat sail slugs. I replaced the top plastic slug with a ss one. Never had any problems, hoisting or dropping.
You do need to be point close to the wind, but that's no big deal.
Lazy jacks are needed.
I would think an external flat track with ss slides would work fine. Just don't expect to drop the main, on a beam reach!
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 17:09   #47
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

From what I understand, even though they work nice, the mast tracks are one of those big ticket items sail makers like to tack on for the "rich sailors". I ama poor sailor, I have a T-track on a wood mast, long partial battens have been recomended to me, I think I will try them out by having a "retired" racing main recut for my boat for experimental purposes.
Old 30-05-2013, 17:11   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I've had more trouble with battens then any other part of the sail makeup. I'd take an in mast furler over full battens at times !!

Dave
Very sorry to hear that, especially since I just invested in a full batten main. Could you elaborate a bit so I know what I'm getting myself into?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 17:22   #49
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

The only fully battened boat I have ever sailed was a freedom 33, wishbone rig....but there was no track, the sail formed a pocket that went around the unstayed mast creating a perfect airfoil. Long battens, almost full, avoid the track problems of a full batten and still give most of the advantages of a full.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:44   #50

of course, another consideration is the balance under sail. if she gets a lot of weather helm with small headsails and main, it might be advantageous to have the battenless main which is also a little cheaper to build. I think I will go for one of them as batten pockets are always the weak point...and I think fully battened ones must put a fair bit of strain on the luff and associated gear....the other thing is chinese junk which is just a fully battened sail without the luff attached to the mast....but that doesn't work with all rigging but eliminates points of strain at the luff... so yeah, with my rig the battenless will work well and I can just put a bigger genny up for more speed....the pardeys know their stuff.
capnpiddannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:01   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnpiddannick View Post
of course, another consideration is the balance under sail. if she gets a lot of weather helm with small headsails and main, it might be advantageous to have the battenless main which is also a little cheaper to build. I think I will go for one of them as batten pockets are always the weak point...and I think fully battened ones must put a fair bit of strain on the luff and associated gear....the other thing is chinese junk which is just a fully battened sail without the luff attached to the mast....but that doesn't work with all rigging but eliminates points of strain at the luff... so yeah, with my rig the battenless will work well and I can just put a bigger genny up for more speed....the pardeys know their stuff.
Yeah, if you have enough sail area, then battenless is not bad at all, or as you said curing too much weather helm.
My (battenless) in-mast furling main wasn't enough area for the boat, so it does matter for some.
My full batten main had Harken track and roller cars etc. Man those full battens put a lot of stress on the forward edge of the sail... big time. The main looked nice and was huge, it was surprising how heavy it all was to get up though, not eactly free sliding.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:19   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have a full batten Main, and a lot of weather helm if I don't reef it.
So I'm going to a bigger Genoa, needs replacing anyhow.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:45   #53

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Batten-less main will limit your pointing ability. Full battened are good if there is not too much pressure on the battens and there is the right reinforcement and/or slide. I switched from battenless to full battened and so far I really like it. If you are used to sailing into a slip or anchorage be ready for the full-battened sail to keep driving and not luff as you round up. I don't have lazy jacks but I wish I did. Don't give up on the full-battened sail. Once you get used to it and work out the stress issues I think you'll love the performance improvement.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:00   #54

The increase in weather helm may be from increase in sail area moved aft, or it may be a mast rake issue too. I have added an extra flattening reef and Cunningham point even though I am not racing, they just help get the shape right. You may find that easing the mainsheet will reduce weather helm and not decrease speed/performance too much. But yes, it may be better to reef a little sooner, but that's not so bad is it?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 08-10-2015, 11:05   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I usually do just ease the sheet. Easier than reeding.
Yes as it has a lot of roach it may be sail area act. I hadn't thought about that. I was assuming the battens increased sail efficiency. My Genoa is old. I'm going to 125% from 110% I think that will help and I want the sail area too

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:16   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I usually do just ease the sheet. Easier than reeding.
Yes as it has a lot of roach it may be sail area act. I hadn't thought about that. I was assuming the battens increased sail efficiency. My Genoa is old. I'm going to 125% from 110% I think that will help and I want the sail area too

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
A bigger headsail will certainly help though going from 110 to 125 is not a huge change. The Genoa with one reef in the main will be a great combo I predict for over 12-15 kts of breeze.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37