Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2022, 09:53   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Furlboom - keep or toss?

We're boat shopping. Tomorrow we are looking at a boat that is equipped with a "Furlboom" in-boom mainsail furler. The furler and the mainsail are approximately 10 years old.

We will probably replace the mainsail in the first year or two of boat ownership. I am trying to decide what to do with the furler and how to factor its presence on the boat into any offer we make. All else being equal, my preference would be for a conventional main with a Dutchman flaking system and one of the better luff tracks. This would allow for a hoist and douse on most points of sail and would have less to go wrong. But I am open to keeping the furler. Discarding it would require us to source a replacement (stock) boom since the original was not kept when the furler was installed.

I would appreciate any advice on how useful in-boom furlers are, how much trouble they pose in practice, and their useful life.

I am particularly concerned because none of the local lofts have any experience with them.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:17   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Furlboom - keep or toss?

Depends on the model installed. There are unusable boomfurlers and others that work. When you visit the boat get the model installed and do your research online about that model.
I have read horror stories of owners doing an Atlantic crossing and first thing on arrival at the other side is dumping the installed boom furler.
But there are many happy owners of boom furlers.

Edit: look here
https://theriggingco.com/2016/12/26/...r-is-the-best/
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:23   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Like most things , don’t decide until you live with it for a while. They tend to be finicky about boom angle and furling halyard tension but I know many who have no issue.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:23   #4

Right, it's the "furlboom," one of those favorably reviewed by The Rigging Co. six years ago. I read the article, which was vague and did not appear to be based on using or servicing the devices over a period of years. Hoping for some info beyond that.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Like most things , don’t decide until you live with it for a while. They tend to be finicky about boom angle and furling halyard tension but I know many who have no issue.

Thanks, if the deal goes through we won't change anything until we've sailed the boat for a while. Right now I'm trying to determine how good of an offer to make.
Old 05-08-2022, 13:14   #6

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

“ Right now I'm trying to determine how good of an offer to make.”
If it is the present owner that installed the boomfurler (a big investment) he will consider that it is an added value for the resale of the boat. Be prepared!
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 14:47   #7

Boat: Sabre 42

I have a 42 foot monohull with that exact system (Furlboom) that is about 10 years old. It took me a few weeks to figure out the boom angle (w adjustable topping lift) but once I did it always furls well. Does not furl that well unless boom approximately less than 30 deg to centerline. Has been reliable but have replaced mast PVC track and canvas sliding sail cover, which I love. Sail is rolled and very protected from elements. Mandrel rusted steel piece failed a few years ago but unlike in-mast furling I was able to just drop the main and flake it to boom till replaced metal piece. I sail a lot more since it is easy to use. Recommend Sailkot McLube twice per year to bolt rope. Need to keep top of bolt rope neat and not too fuzzy so enters bottom part of track easily.
culebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 16:31   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'm with you, Jamme.. Conventional slab reefing is a better way. However, the boat is intact and usable as it is. I would not expect a price reduction for what is an inconvenience to you--someone else might want it. So offer on the boat based on what they're going for now, plus, of course, what you think is a fair price for it given its condition. Boats are a little like trolleys: there'll be another one to appreciate and use along soon.

Ann