Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2014, 03:14   #1

Furler Halyard Attachment

Ok might sound like a dumb question to you experts but I have to refit our genoa onto the furler tomorrow after getting the standing rigging done and I can't remember how it is attached. New halyard needs to meet a stainless ring at the top of the sliding fitting, that slips up the foil.

Is it ok to just do a bow line in the halyard onto the ring?
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 04:21   #2

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: Furler halyard attachment

Ah, yes!
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 04:29   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

A bowline will work. Have sailed thousands of miles using that or a.buntline hitch to attach halyards to sails. Only thing With a roller furling jib halyard is to check it occasionally for wear. Furling sails tend to be set and forget.

I don't like snap shackles on halyards. They can accidentally open and are real head knockers if the halyard gets loose. It is near impossible to splice a used halyard so you'd have to use a knot to add a snap shackle in any case.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 14:28   #4

Thanks!!

I know it seems obvious but I know once it goes up there I will forget all about it
Old 24-04-2014, 14:39   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Don't know if you have installed but you'll also need a fairlead a few inches down the mast for the halyard to run threw. It keeps the furling's upper swivel pointed aft and the halyard from wrapping around the forestay.
Old 24-04-2014, 14:42   #6

I swap out my summer and winter jibs, so I take a jib down at least twice a year. Good time to check everything is working. I use a bowline. We have a ProFurl unit, with the built in wrapstop so we don't need a halyard restrainer up top on the mast. Instead of having the jib halyard led to the cockpit, I tie it off on cleat on the mast. I tension the luff of the jib with a small double or tirple loop of strong line at the tack and ease it before furling the jib.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 03:33   #7

Re: Furler Halyard Attachment

Thanks all! Pulled it up today and I'm not happy it is high enough to get past the wrap stop on the Profurl but we were happy! Until of course we started the engine and the alternator light came on no matter. Every vehicle i get seems to blow alternators so it's par for the course off to the engine forum for some reading, this is a Perkins 4108 and the alternator seems to have an external regulator,all good fun, if you don't like repairs on boats, you need a stack of money and I know where I fit in

Thanks all

Tags
furler, halyard, men