Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2019, 14:44   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Furler using a conventional bolt rope, not a luff tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
umm.... with a sail wrapped around it, the shape of the furler has nothing to do with noise generation. Perhaps you are thinking about some in-mast mainsail furling systems... they can do banshee imitations.

Jim

Geez Jim, stop bringing logic into it.

It’s clear that using a secondhand bit of boat gear is going to kill me, either from the mast falling on my head or the ultrasonic vibrations causing my head to fall off.

I’m off to get a job to pay for a brand new carbon fibre furler with Teflon coated titanium bearings and a NASA approved airfoil profile.

I should be ready to start cruising in 20 years.
Old 28-09-2019, 19:12   #17

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Furler using a conventional bolt rope, not a luff tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Geez Jim, stop bringing logic into it.

It’s clear that using a secondhand bit of boat gear is going to kill me, either from the mast falling on my head or the ultrasonic vibrations causing my head to fall off.

I’m off to get a job to pay for a brand new carbon fibre furler with Teflon coated titanium bearings and a NASA approved airfoil profile.

I should be ready to start cruising in 20 years.
Don't forget the infrasound from the other end of the spectrum. It's serious. Down in Victoria with it's wall to wall wind farms all the chooks have stopped laying, the cows giving milk and it's driving all the eagles to kamikazi into the blades.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 20:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Don't forget the infrasound from the other end of the spectrum. It's serious. Down in Victoria with it's wall to wall wind farms all the chooks have stopped laying, the cows giving milk and it's driving all the eagles to kamikazi into the blades.

Ah... so you’ve met my dad then?[emoji23]
Old 28-09-2019, 20:16   #19

So here are some pictures of the device.

In summary, the base clamps onto a standard 10mm stay stud (or 3/8th I suppose).

The drum and furler profile rotate around the stay without any bearings or other supports, but they are supported by a big nylon bush at the bottom. The bush comes in two halves so can be replaced without removing the stay.

There was some very slight evidence of grease having been used in the past, but it seemed ancient and minimal, suggesting geese is not needed. Maybe silicone spray?

The lack of bearings worried me a bit but I also have the original stay that it was fitted to and there is no evidence of wear anywhere on the stay. The stay itself is coated in fine white powder which I’d guess is aluminium oxide.

The drum is configured to handle a sail in any of the four slots, however the head unit seems to limit the options as although it can take two pulley blocks, I cannot see how it could service more than one slot at a time.

At first it looked like there had been some wear on the head unit, like the stay had chewed out a groove, but closer inspection shoes the groove to have been machine cut, presumably to prevent this very issue.

I’d love to find out more about this thing if I can. It is kinda crude and clunky and probably won’t do a lot of good to my upwind performance, but it is nicely simple and feels like it will be trouble free for years to come.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3368.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	200659
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3369.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	200660Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3370.jpg
Views:	69