Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2021, 18:21   #1

Boat: Passport 41
Furling line outboard of stanchions

Hi,

I have a harken furling system with my furling line lead through stanchion mount blocks (https://www.harken.com/en/shop/mkiv-...n-mount-block/) and I'm wondering if there'd be any reason why they can't be mounted outboard to keep my side deck clear, like in the Outboard Block (https://www.harken.com/en/shop/mkiv-...n-mount-block/) offered by harken?

Best regards,
Guilherme
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 18:40   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Furling line outboard of stanchions

You might not want the furling line getting caught on anything at a dock or if you were to come alongside another vessel. Setting your Genoa while ripping your furler and forestay off when you or the other boat decided to disengage would not be fun.
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 19:28   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Remember that if you go outside you must put a block on every stanchion, whilst if inside one can often skip a few where the curve is shallow. At those prices (from link) this might be a consideration!

Jim
Old 26-12-2021, 04:15   #4

Boat: Passport 41

Although the regular blocks (not the ones intended to be mounted outboard) would cause the furling line to be a few centimeters further out than the stanchions, in my case I don't think that'd be a big deal as they wouldn't go past my toerails. But I just realized that if the regular blocks were mounted on the other side of the stanchions the line would not be running on the block's sheave -- it'd be rubbing against the fixed internal part of the block
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 06:28   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

The blocks to do this exist. I did it, though in the end it didn’t really buy me deck space despite the theory. The line, for whatever reason seemed to jam. I reverted to the standard way and added more of those little blocks to eliminate slop in the line.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 06:52   #6

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I use these:

Schaefer 3 Series Stanchion Furling Lead Block with Stainless Steel Cage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DH47MA2...ZZ06T0W6DYXCDX

Also, I place a lead all the way aft, then to the winch. Definitely keep the furling line inboard. If there are issues furling in a blow, you don't want to be on the leeward side leaning over the deck trying to untangle or fix something.

The other thing I did was to add a clutch in line on the roe rail to allow furling/reefing the headsail much easier single handed.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2021, 08:36   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You need a block designed for outboard running of the line like the second Harken block in your post. The block pictured in the first link won't work with line running outboard.

Have used one of the Harken outboard blocks on each side running my furling lines aft, works a charm. Schaeffer also makes an outboard stanchion block. It requires unreaving the life lines to install on the Stanchion so not as convenient to mount as the Harken block.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 03:14   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

I like these from Shaefer.

https://hardware.schaefermarine.com/...di9j9mircfk254

They keep your furling line close to your stanchions.

But when I bought them they were $25 each. Damn I'm getting old!
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 10:10   #9

Boat: O'Day 40

I've got the Harken setup and it works well. I've never had a problem with it when coming along side a tall piling, the toe rail is wider.

If it got tangled up somehow I can't see the extra inch outboard making it any harder to deal with.
Old 28-12-2021, 11:20   #10
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsalgado View Post
Hi,

I have a harken furling system with my furling line lead through stanchion mount blocks (https://www.harken.com/en/shop/mkiv-...n-mount-block/) and I'm wondering if there'd be any reason why they can't be mounted outboard to keep my side deck clear, like in the Outboard Block (https://www.harken.com/en/shop/mkiv-...n-mount-block/) offered by harken?

Best regards, Guilherme
You don't say what boat you have or how much side deck area. How much clear area do you need? There will always be tension on the lines/stantions when you are using them so I wouldn't place them too high on the stanchions which would cause more leverage on the stanchion base at the deck. The lines will naturally PULL to the inside of the deck where the foresail is. If you mount them on the outside they would PUSH against the stanchion...that doesn't seem natural for a line to me.

Personally, I have my blocks mounted at deck level where they exert minimal PULL tension on the stanchion bases.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 11:43   #11

I simply used Johnson bullet fairleads on the outside of my stanchions. Why clutter what is normally a narrow side deck? Never an issue coming alongside anything, inboard of the gunwhale. For the length of my boat, ball bearing blocks for a furling line is overkill anyway.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 12:29   #12

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

We use the Harken Outboard Lead Blocks, the line sits between the gunwale edge and the stanchion and keeps the side deck clear.

https://www.defender.com/product3.js...454&id=1054803
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 12:54   #13

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
You don't say what boat you have or how much side deck area. How much clear area do you need? There will always be tension on the lines/stantions when you are using them so I wouldn't place them too high on the stanchions which would cause more leverage on the stanchion base at the deck. The lines will naturally PULL to the inside of the deck where the foresail is. If you mount them on the outside they would PUSH against the stanchion...that doesn't seem natural for a line to me.

Personally, I have my blocks mounted at deck level where they exert minimal PULL tension on the stanchion bases.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
If you look at my nom de plume you will see it is an O'Day 40.
Side decks are not particularly wide but not skinny.
The furler line is, of course, close to the bottom of the stanchions.
From what I remember of my high school physics, the pressure on the stanchion is the same whether the furler line is run on the inside or the outside.
The Harken furler lead blocks are designed to be on the outside. Otherwise the line wouldn't run on the blocks.
Old 28-12-2021, 14:25   #14

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

It's a different solution, but I like what Jeanneau did with the Sun Odyssey line by leading the furler to a clutch on the coachroof with the rest of the running rigging.

That cleans up the narrowest part of the deck, and you just have to be careful to step over it up in the bow (but you're careful up there anyway.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 5.20.57 PM.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	250423  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, outboard