Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2021, 08:45   #1

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Garhauer block -- de-swivel

I have a self tacking jib on my 43' solent rigged jib. The blocks that came with the boat were Lewmar 80's, 3 of them (two on the traveler, one on the jib). The flogging (tacks, rolling out and rolling in, etc) have caused two of the three to break (plastic sheaves, cheeks, etc). The issue isn't "load rating" as they are plenty strong enough, it's the abuse. So I'd like to move to 100% metal Garhauer.

I already replaced the one on the jib with a 20-year old oversized Garhauer I had in the locker. Plenty strong, but the "anti-swivel" is a set screw against a round shaft (no detent) and it stays anti-swivel for about a day before it starts swiveling and twisting up the sheet.

I want to buy 3 new 25-13 US Garhauer blocks. I like the size, my sailmaker assures me they are plenty strong enough, and I certainly like the price. The problem is that they swivel. I just spoke with the nice woman who answered the phone at Garhauer, and she says that there is a setscrew -- but she thinks it doesn't really lock it any better than my old Garhauer.

So, after all that -- has anyone used these blocks, and is there any way to securely de-swivel them? They don't make any fixed blocks that I see. Perhaps a local welder could tack them fixed? It's not a lot of money to just buy them and then figure it out, but I hate buying stuff I can't use. (And since I can't throw out "useful stuff" it sits in my overloaded locker!).

Thoughts?

Harry
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 11:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Garhauer block -- de-swivel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
I have a self tacking jib on my 43' solent rigged jib. The blocks that came with the boat were Lewmar 80's, 3 of them (two on the traveler, one on the jib). The flogging (tacks, rolling out and rolling in, etc) have caused two of the three to break (plastic sheaves, cheeks, etc). The issue isn't "load rating" as they are plenty strong enough, it's the abuse. So I'd like to move to 100% metal Garhauer.

I already replaced the one on the jib with a 20-year old oversized Garhauer I had in the locker. Plenty strong, but the "anti-swivel" is a set screw against a round shaft (no detent) and it stays anti-swivel for about a day before it starts swiveling and twisting up the sheet.

I want to buy 3 new 25-13 US Garhauer blocks. I like the size, my sailmaker assures me they are plenty strong enough, and I certainly like the price. The problem is that they swivel. I just spoke with the nice woman who answered the phone at Garhauer, and she says that there is a setscrew -- but she thinks it doesn't really lock it any better than my old Garhauer.

So, after all that -- has anyone used these blocks, and is there any way to securely de-swivel them? They don't make any fixed blocks that I see. Perhaps a local welder could tack them fixed? It's not a lot of money to just buy them and then figure it out, but I hate buying stuff I can't use. (And since I can't throw out "useful stuff" it sits in my overloaded locker!).

Thoughts?

Harry

Reach out to Garhauer. They are super nice SAILORS who can help you with solid guidance
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 11:40   #3

I got Garhauer blocks for my main/traveler system two decades ago to replace the old swieveling Seawind blocks which my PO had wrapped thin cord around to try them to stop turning.

Garhauer definitely makes non-swiveling blocks.

I agree, call and ask for Mark, Bill's son. He's great.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 16:35   #4

I've already called Garhauer once. The woman who answered the phone seemed moderately familiar with the products -- better than most people you get on the phone. I hate the feeling of calling back and saying "I'd really rather talk to Mark" but maybe I need to.

I'm really hoping that there is someone on this forum who has a recent model single block from Garhauer that can pick it up and look at it.

Garhauer's single biggest (only?) flaw, forever, is a horrible online catalog.
Old 29-12-2021, 16:39   #5

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

I dont think you are going to get any different info from a different person at Garhauer. But, maybe try a different tack - ask them to make the custom for you, without the swiveling. I know they do other stuff semi-custom. Maybe worth asking about it.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 16:46   #6

Jordan,

You may have hit on it. In my original post, I pondered the idea of having the shackle tack welded locally. Garhauer could do that right there in their shop, and may well charge less than taking it to a local vendor here.

My configuration is such that of the 3 blocks, only one even tries to swivel (the center block is 180 degrees and twists horribly -- the two side blocks are ~90 and so can't twist at all). So I only have to have one "fixed."

I'll take this tack. Call again, and ask to speak to someone about a custom project. And that person may say "well, actually, have you looked at this option?"

Thanks,

Harry
Old 29-12-2021, 17:52   #7

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Ask for mark…… he will guide you to what you need
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 19:42   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post

Thoughts?

Harry
Remove the set screw, wrap a slightly undersized drill with tape, and drill a detent. Yup, done it before.

You can also lock the swivel in many cases with cable ties or rigging wire. Can be quite permanent.
Old 29-12-2021, 20:11   #9

Thin,

One word. "Brilliant." You need to get on Garhauer's staff!

I'm still going to go with the suggestion to talk with Mark. But rather than suggest welding it up, I'll mention your idea. But it's a super easy solution I can do right here in my shop, if it comes to that (or if they want more to drill a dimple than for the block!).
Old 30-12-2021, 09:01   #10

Well, how bout that?! As everyone said, "just call Mark." So I did. He listened, then said that Thin's answer won't work because the head-block is Delrin (I guess that it will deform with repeated pounding). But then he said "why don't you just order an old style with a fixed shackle?" I pointed out there aren't any in the catalog. He then said "just order the 25-13, and put in the comments you want a 25-13 SL with fixed shackle."

Well, sheep dip. I shoulda started with him to begin with!

I'll try and remember to post a pic when I get it. But the bottom line is "Call Mark and talk to him."