Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 07:37   #1

"Get home" sail

I own an Island Packet PY Cruiser (an SP Cruiser without the sails) and I'm looking into the possibility of installing a "get home" sail rig. Wondering about the minimum size sail/mast height I would need for such a rig for this boat. I would like the shortest mast feasible so I can still get under all fixed bridges in FL. Maybe a steppable mast?

The boat has a LWL of 35'9", beam 12'9", weighs 25000 lbs, 3'8" draft.

Not looking for great performance under sail, but just something to use in an emergency, or maybe to help with fuel economy and stabilization.

Is 2-3 knots possible? Any idea what this might cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:51   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: "Get home" sail

I believe IP can "convert" your boat. Might give them a call?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:54   #3

Maybe something like this? Think the mast height is 30' and it was described as a 30/70 motorsailer ratio.

Name:   ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1422978838.101530.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  41.2 KB

Old 03-02-2015, 08:13   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
I would like the shortest mast feasible so I can still get under all fixed bridges in FL. .............................
................ something to use in an emergency, or maybe to help with fuel economy and stabilization. ..............
A decission needs to be made about this clearance for "all the fixed bridges in Florida", for these fixed bridges range from about 2' to 200'. Many Florida bridges are fixed at 35', 45', 55' & 65'. You might be interested in clearing the 35' bridges, but there's a great variety of fixed bridges between 15' and 35'. This might be related to a specific cruising area.

It would be easiest and least expensive to aim for the stabilizing sail that would have some influence, but doubtful performance for "getting home" although, I did see a couple of fishermen returning to Miami from south biscayne bay once holding a 4'x8' sheet of plywood set on the top of their ca. 25' outboard!

A couple of other suggestions for coastal cruising situations would be to have a mount for an auxiliary outboard or better yet pay for an emergency towing insurance. The cost of the sail rig will likely match twenty years worth of emergency towing service. The stabilizing sail could allow you to make way to a location within towing range.

Maybe more needs to be said about your cruising intentions in order to better answer your question.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe IP can "convert" your boat. Might give them a call?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

A64,

I did get in touch with IP-- the quote they gave me for a full SP cruiser rig was $80k. Thought that was too much but maybe I'm wrong.
I bought this boat as a repo pretty cheap, and converting it to an SP one day was one of my thoughts, but not sure I can get out of it after an $80k refit.

I do think the SP would be a more marketable boat however, when I decide to sell. Would a factory converted PY sell for the same as a factory SP?

Old 03-02-2015, 08:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
A decission needs to be made about this clearance for "all the fixed bridges in Florida", for these fixed bridges range from about 2' to 200'. Many Florida bridges are fixed at 35', 45', 55' & 65'. You might be interested in clearing the 35' bridges, but there's a great variety of fixed bridges between 15' and 35'. This might be related to a specific cruising area.

It would be easiest and least expensive to aim for the stabilizing sail that would have some influence, but doubtful performance for "getting home" although, I did see a couple of fishermen returning to Miami from south biscayne bay once holding a 4'x8' sheet of plywood set on the top of their ca. 25' outboard!

A couple of other suggestions for coastal cruising situations would be to have a mount for an auxiliary outboard or better yet pay for an emergency towing insurance. The cost of the sail rig will likely match twenty years worth of emergency towing service. The stabilizing sail could allow you to make way to a location within towing range.

Maybe more needs to be said about your cruising intentions in order to better answer your question.

Great info. Thanks.

My eventual cruise plans will include the Bahamas then the Caribbean.

Thinking about this more, a small stabilizing sail plan probably doesn't add much value to the next buyer does it? Where the full, expensive SP Cruiser plan would I assume. I just don't know what a small stabilizing sail rig would cost. $20k?

Tags
sail