Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2018, 02:06   #1

pirate Getting the Topping Lift rope through the Mast

My topping lift rope did not have a knot at the end and found its way up into the mast. Normally it comes out of a hole in the mast a meter from the deck. How do I get the rope back down the mast from above? I tried just dropping it down and it never reached the bottom. Got stuck somewhere down. The I dropped a little fishing weight down with some fishing line. That made it to the bottom and we pulled it though the hole. When I attached the topping lift rope to the fishing line it got stuck somewhere on the way down. Got stuck for a while even when we tried to pull it back up. Had to use the wench for a little while and it only came out after the fishing line broke.
Thinking to now put the weight at the end of the rope and drop it. Just a little concerned it all might get stuck.
Popeye2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 02:19   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Getting the Topping Lift rope through the Mast

I would put 1 or 2 intermediately sized lines in between the fishing line and the topping lift. And make very "streamlined" attachments when pulling through the thicker line. Any edge can get stuck as you found out. You are on the right path but went to quickly.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 13:38   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Use an old bicycle chain attached to the messenger line. Use a magnet at deck level to capture it so you can pull the chain and line out.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 07:40   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Masterful hack there!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 07:50   #5

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

I did something similar. At the local FW store, I found lamp pull chains and got about a foot of the 1/4 diameter ball stuff. About $1 it's really flexible so it was easy to pull out the hole in the mast with the magnet.
Old 19-05-2018, 08:14   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Use an old bicycle chain attached to the messenger line. Use a magnet at deck level to capture it so you can pull the chain and line out.
Exactly.
Just ensure that connection between messenger and topping lines is without bulges. You can use something like 2mm messenger line, arrange non-slipping knot around the topping lift line and and squeeze the area with strong narrow masking tape to a diameter smaller than original diameter of the topping lift line.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 08:26   #7

A large fishing weight, or the bike chain mentioned etc and a small strong line (like 1/8" dacron etc) is one way. Go to the top, drop the weight into the mast and lower it down until you see it at the exit hole near deck. Grab it with a coat hanger wire hook or whatever and then use that line to pull the rope through.
Often the problem is at the spreaders where a bunch of wires jpoints and bolts etc are inside the mast. Up and down, up and down with the lead or chain until it finds the passage.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 08:37   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

So I am not sure how you did it, but don't tie the fishing line to the line. Instead. lay the fishing line along the line and tape it to it, with one layer only and with no bulges. Make the leading edge as streamlined as possible but NOT bulky. I am guessing it is getting hung up on rivets or screws or bolts, probably at the spreaders? Gentle back and forth when you get to those spots may do it. I have had this issue and that worked for me.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, mast, rope