Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2023, 14:03   #1

Boat: Hanse 505 50'
Gooseneck play? Too much?

I have play in my gooseneck. Time for a new mast fitting? Hanse 505 with about 40K miles.

https://youtube.com/shorts/qTEL5b9u0VI?feature=share
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 14:50   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Gooseneck play? Too much?

Can you insert a bronze bushing? Any decent machine shop (doesn't need to be a marine provider) should be able to bore it to a standard size and insert a bushing to bring it back to the correct size. And a bronze bushing would be stronger than the aluminum (I assume) and last longer. You definitely should address the play, but I would repair.
Old 18-08-2023, 15:10   #3

Boat: I'm in the market, as it were

Preface - Master's in Mechanical Engineering

Too much? It looks like it's getting there, but not yet dire. Although the wear will likely accelerate since it has room to build up speed/force, so keep an eye on it if you're actively sailing. Nice video addition BTW.

I would 2nd the bushing recommendation. Since it will be a relatively small job it may or may not (depending on the shop) be to your benefit to get the bushing stock yourself from someplace like McMaster Carr.

Looking at the video again, are those metal shavings or just a little metal that's been pushed up over the years? It's tough to tell, but if there are fresh shavings I retract my previous statements. You might have something wrong, binding?
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 15:33   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

I would make this a big priority to fix on my boat. Play begets more play. Would be messy if it let's go in a crash gybe. Lots of failed goosenecks running downwind to Hawaii.
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 17:03   #5

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

After you fix your gooseneck, you might check how the boom is 'tied down' when the sails are down. Traveller sheeting tends to allow a lot of sideways motion even when the mainsheet is tight. It may be that constant boom 'wobble' (even you are not sailing) causing the s/s pin to chew up the aluminum.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 19:01   #6

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

This may not work for you as your gooseneck uses one long pin/bolt, but perhaps something to ponder, as maybe you can get a workaround.
My gooseneck fastens to the mast fitting with two separate 1/2in. pins that go thru both the mast tang(s) and the gooseneck tang(s).
Both the mast fitting and the gooseneck are bored 5/8ths.
A 5/8 by 1/2 Delrin bushing is inserted that is as long as the thickness of the tang on the mast fitting and the tang of the gooseneck.
With Delrin washers above/between, and below, there is no metal-to-metal contact anywhere in the system.
Slack in any direction is virtually zero, and yet movement is smooth and quiet.
Some fussing with washers was required, but no big deal.
On your set-up perhaps one long tube of some kind of "plastic" may work?
Old 18-08-2023, 19:52   #7

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

I have a little bit of slop in my gooseneck, but I think less than yours. Both the holes and the pins are still round. I have identified a plastic sheet at Granger then I will cut into a shim to wrap around the pin and reduce play and provide a bearing surface. Unfortunately, it has been on back order for over a year, so I can't report on the success.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote