Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2022, 14:25   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Hank on or Furler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I'm thinking you could tidy up the foredeck a bit with a milk crate for the anchor and line, with the bitter end secured, and the lovely new Mantus secured to the bow pulpit. It would only take installing some pad eyes, to tie it down, and then all the gear could be safer. And right there to get hosed off after the sail. In general, keeping stuff stored right by where you'll need to use it saves time and labor.

Also, start thinking about lazy jacks to capture the sail when you reef it. We, like you, go to the mast to reef, and we built a boom bag with lazy jacks to capture the main. I really like it that there's no bunt of the sail to deal with, you drop it right into its bag, and cinch down the reef, and re-trim the main, and off you go. It speeds up the process over using the nettles to tie in the reef, and also the re-hoisting, when you shake out the reef.

Ann
Clean up the foredeck a bit on the way home from work and hung the M1 around the anchor platform.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1387 (2).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	265988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1381 (2).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	265989  

Name:	IMG_1374 (2).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	265990   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1372 (2).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	473.6 KB
ID:	265992  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 14:32   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hank on or Furler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Thom225 we have hank on sails on our 32 footer. Mainly because I did not have the money at the time for a furler and I got a lot of near new hank on sails cheap.
My lad is always asking for a furler since he is the one who usually does the sail changes. But I will stick with what we have until it comes time to change the standing rigging again.
Cheers
If your hank on sails are in good nick when you get the curler switch out the hanks and fit appropriate size slides for the track..
Works well and saves money till a new genny is needed.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2022, 15:23   #33

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I am surprised by the number of people here who have responded with "hank-on" preference.

WHY NOT HANK ON?
You said some offshore guys had recommended them but I think there are actually very few who do. I do not (although some idiots here who can't read think I do, I don't recommend hank on sails).

It takes a long time to change hank on sails and other than lack of friction I see little advantage. And friction in a furler can be cured (not by downsizing your luff tape). You need to lube and clean the foil and the luff tape. A short piece of luff tape with grommets can be repeatedly run up and down to clean the foil.

GO WITH ROLLER FURLING, BUT TAKE A SMALL JIB ALONG

But the trend for many years is towards roller furling headsails. They are very nearly universal now.

What I do recommend and urge for every offshore sailor is to carry a smaller headsail than the 130% genoa which are typically found on cruising boats, and to practice changing sail from the large one to the smaller one.

No matter what some people say, a boat is much happier with a small headsail than a poorly shaped rolled up genoa. Certainly on a long offshore passage, or any passage actually, where winds are expected to be over 15 knots your boat will be a pleasure with a smaller headsail than with a partially rolled up genoa. It will be barely "good enough" with that rolled up genoa, and who wants to be just "good enough"? Furthermore, when yu are sailing with a smaller headsail and the wind increases even more, all you have to do then is reef the main. There is nothing finer than sailing with a small headsail and a reefed main. The boat will be happy, your wife will be happy, and you will be happy.

CAN YOU CHANGE SAILS AT SEA, SURE YOU CAN, BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO

Can you change a roller furled headsail at sea? Certainly. But if you are terrified about going forward, or just don't want to do any work, change it at the dock before you go. If you have serviced your luff tape and foil grooves, the sails should go up and down easily. Mine fall down if someone doesn't mind the halyard tail. At sea you head into the wind and drop the sail on deck, tie it off, and hoist the other. You don't need someone at the bow to feed it, that's what pre-feeders are for. Yes, this is generally two person job. Judy and I do it all the time, and often we set the new sail before dropping the old sail even while cruising.

SO FORGET ABOUT CHANGING SAILS AT SEA

If everyone is so opposed to it, don't do it. Just sail with a smaller sail. Carry two jibs and chose the one you want before you leave the dock. My friend Natcho Postego, one of the world's top racing tacticians says that it one of his main jobs is picking the sail for the day. Me too.

But you must carry a smaller sail to have this choice. It doesn't take up much room.

And a second recommendation: Drop your roller furling sail whenever you are docked or anchored for more than a day or two. Just drop it after sailing and put it into a sausage bag and below if you can, or leave it bagged and bricked on deck. This will extend the life of your sail immensely. Even with protective leech covers, UV gets to the outer rolls of your roller furling sail and they will fail there before they need to. Believe me, I design, build, sell and repair sails. I've had to fix many roller furling genoas with grey, sunburned leech panels.

DON'T BE AFRAID OF A LITTLE WORK

All what I have recommended here is extra work but a little work never hurt anybody. In fact some exercise is good for you. So do a little work when you go sailing, your sailing enjoyment will go up if you are a little tired and have a sore muscle or two when you get to the dock. It makes that ice cold beverage taste better and you'll feel like you did something.
Old 18-10-2022, 15:25   #34

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Regardless it will still be tight as compared to hanks.

On my little boat the furled sail drops like a rock once the halyard is released
Old 18-10-2022, 15:29   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
On my little boat the furled sail drops like a rock once the halyard is released
As it should do
Old 18-10-2022, 15:32   #36

Quote:
Clean up the foredeck a bit on the way home from work and hung the M1 around the anchor platform.
Thomm225, I don't like the looks of that kayak on the bow for serious offshore work.

The sea is patient, the sea is waiting. The sea will take that kayak.
Old 18-10-2022, 15:32   #37

Quote:
Well maybe my Jib that came with the boat had a slightly larger luff tape than the furlex furler is suppose to have. (and maybe yours is a bit small for the groove)

I almost bought a used furling jib from Bacon Sails but the luff tape was 1/4" and there is no way that would have fit.
Old 18-10-2022, 15:35   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I am surprised by the number of people here who have responded with "hank-on" preference.

WHY NOT HANK ON?
You said some offshore guys had recommended them but I think there are actually very few who do. I do not (although some idiots here who can't read think I do, I don't recommend hank on sails).

It takes a long time to change hank on sails and other than lack of friction I see little advantage. And friction in a furler can be cured (not by downsizing your luff tape). You need to lube and clean the foil and the luff tape. A short piece of luff tape with grommets can be repeatedly run up and down to clean the foil.

GO WITH ROLLER FURLING, BUT TAKE A SMALL JIB ALONG

But the trend for many years is towards roller furling headsails. They are very nearly universal now.

What I do recommend and urge for every offshore sailor is to carry a smaller headsail than the 130% genoa which are typically found on cruising boats, and to practice changing sail from the large one to the smaller one.

No matter what some people say, a boat is much happier with a small headsail than a poorly shaped rolled up genoa. Certainly on a long offshore passage, or any passage actually, where winds are expected to be over 15 knots your boat will be a pleasure with a smaller headsail than with a partially rolled up genoa. It will be barely "good enough" with that rolled up genoa, and who wants to be just "good enough"? Furthermore, when yu are sailing with a smaller headsail and the wind increases even more, all you have to do then is reef the main. There is nothing finer than sailing with a small headsail and a reefed main. The boat will be happy, your wife will be happy, and you will be happy.

CAN YOU CHANGE SAILS AT SEA, SURE YOU CAN, BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO

Can you change a roller furled headsail at sea? Certainly. But if you are terrified about going forward, or just don't want to do any work, change it at the dock before you go. If you have serviced your luff tape and foil grooves, the sails should go up and down easily. Mine fall down if someone doesn't mind the halyard tail. At sea you head into the wind and drop the sail on deck, tie it off, and hoist the other. You don't need someone at the bow to feed it, that's what pre-feeders are for. Yes, this is generally two person job. Judy and I do it all the time, and often we set the new sail before dropping the old sail even while cruising.

SO FORGET ABOUT CHANGING SAILS AT SEA

If everyone is so opposed to it, don't do it. Just sail with a smaller sail. Carry two jibs and chose the one you want before you leave the dock. My friend Natcho Postego, one of the world's top racing tacticians says that it one of his main jobs is picking the sail for the day. Me too.

But you must carry a smaller sail to have this choice. It doesn't take up much room.

And a second recommendation: Drop your roller furling sail whenever you are docked or anchored for more than a day or two. Just drop it after sailing and put it into a sausage bag and below if you can, or leave it bagged and bricked on deck. This will extend the life of your sail immensely. Even with protective leech covers, UV gets to the outer rolls of your roller furling sail and they will fail there before they need to. Believe me, I design, build, sell and repair sails. I've had to fix many roller furling genoas with grey, sunburned leech panels.

DON'T BE AFRAID OF A LITTLE WORK

All what I have recommended here is extra work but a little work never hurt anybody. In fact some exercise is good for you. So do a little work when you go sailing, your sailing enjoyment will go up if you are a little tired and have a sore muscle or two when you get to the dock. It makes that ice cold beverage taste better and you'll feel like you did something.
This guy is the one that likes the hank on sails. (and he has experience with them)

He does have a beautiful Contessa 26 also....

Old 18-10-2022, 16:34   #39

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Well maybe my Jib that came with the boat had a slightly larger luff tape than the furlex furler is suppose to have. (and maybe yours is a bit small for the groove)

I almost bought a used furling jib from Bacon Sails but the luff tape was 1/4" and there is no way that would have fit.

Mine used to hang up till I greased the furler slot with Teflon

It was sized correctly but the slot was a bit gummy
Old 18-10-2022, 16:39   #40

Quote:
Mine used to hang up till I greased the furler slot with Teflon

It was sized correctly but the slot was a bit gummy
Well maybe I'll spray on some Sailkote or something on my new jib before I raise it.

That's what I used on my beach cat sails main and spinnaker anyway
Old 24-10-2022, 06:46   #41

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

There is a reason that the solo round the world racers use furlers. Try going forward at night in a good blow and get the jib down and safely lashed to the deck and the leeward sheet safely aboard. This is dicey, even for a couple on a night passage. Add in waves breaking over the bows and trying to hang on. Never had my furler malfunction, but I do rinse the lower unit after each use and carefully inspect it at each annual haul out.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 06:51   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Thomm225, I don't like the looks of that kayak on the bow for serious offshore work.

The sea is patient, the sea is waiting. The sea will take that kayak.
Well it may be gone by the time I do any short hops offshore, but I believe Sean'D crossed an ocean or two with a kayak on his Bristol 27
Old 24-10-2022, 06:57   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlespeed View Post
There is a reason that the solo round the world racers use furlers. Try going forward at night in a good blow and get the jib down and safely lashed to the deck and the leeward sheet safely aboard. This is dicey, even for a couple on a night passage. Add in waves breaking over the bows and trying to hang on. Never had my furler malfunction, but I do rinse the lower unit after each use and carefully inspect it at each annual haul out.
Yeah I would agree especially at my age.

I was considering getting a used hank-on sail from Bacon Sails but found that I could get a new jib/genoa from Sail Warehouse for about $1225.

I think though I will use the one I have one more season then pull the boat next Winter and do the bottom, replace the rigging, buy new sails, etc, etc
Old 24-10-2022, 07:13   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hank on or Furler

Quote:
Yeah I would agree especially at my age.

I was considering getting a used hank-on sail from Bacon Sails but found that I could get a new jib/genoa from Sail Warehouse for about $1225.

I think though I will use the one I have one more season then pull the boat next Winter and do the bottom, replace the rigging, buy new sails, etc, etc

Just in case you did not know...
A hank on sail can be converted to a furling system for around $40 or less.. remove the hanks then whip on sail slugs sized to your furlers groove.
Have done this a few times with a new sail from a sailmaker when a customer has failed to come through and he's letting it go at cost.. an effective money saving option for the low budget cruiser... and it works well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P02690881_LRG.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	266288  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2022, 07:50   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Just in case you did not know...
A hank on sail can be converted to a furling system for around $40 or less.. remove the hanks then whip on sail slugs sized to your furlers groove.
Have done this a few times with a new sail from a sailmaker when a customer has failed to come through and he's letting it go at cost.. an effective money saving option for the low budget cruiser... and it works well.
Okay.

Thanks.

Tags
furler