Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2023, 13:12   #1

Boat: Contest 38s
Hank on sails - get rid or modify to furling?

Hi

I have upgraded my boat with a Selden furlex with a new headsail But...
currently i have in my cockpit locker some of the original hank on sail.
except the work genoa which is used but in good condition, i have a storm jib, some kind of staysail, another size jib and maybe one more original sails from the 1980 and in new condition!!!

is there a way to use them with a furling system after modification?(ie cutting and stitching a boltrope for the furler at a sail loft)
is it even worth while? can anybody estimate such a price?

is there a way to use them on top of the furler headsail? seen once before straps of beads that get attached to the hank on clips - but wont that damage the furling headsail underneath\or foil being the load is not evenly distributed?

Raz.
razamataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 13:15   #2

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago
Re: Hank on sails - get rid or modify to furling?

Sell them.
Post the sizes, some of us might be interested.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 13:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hank on sails - get rid or modify to furling?

Remove the hanks and lash on the appropriate size mast bullet slides.. works a treat.
Attached Images

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 14:16   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Could you rig an inner forestay to fly the storm jib from? I like to have some foresail that can be rigged when/if the roller furling jib has packed in. Personally, I think normally it would be too difficult to unroll a furling jib in order to take it down and then raise another jib in the track when offshore in a blow. Keep in mind that as the big original jib comes out of the track it isn't hanked on and can very easily go over the side and become a hazard. If one of the jibs is suitable as a backup it isn't that expensive to have a sailmaker remove the hanks and add the luff tape.
Old 20-11-2023, 04:54   #5

Boat: Island Packet 38
Thumbs up Re: Hank on sails - get rid or modify to furling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by razamataz View Post
Hi

I have upgraded my boat with a Selden furlex with a new headsail But...
currently i have in my cockpit locker some of the original hank on sail.
except the work genoa which is used but in good condition, i have a storm jib, some kind of staysail, another size jib and maybe one more original sails from the 1980 and in new condition!!!

is there a way to use them with a furling system after modification?(ie cutting and stitching a boltrope for the furler at a sail loft)
is it even worth while? can anybody estimate such a price?

is there a way to use them on top of the furler headsail? seen once before straps of beads that get attached to the hank on clips - but wont that damage the furling headsail underneath\or foil being the load is not evenly distributed?

Raz.

Good morning!

I switched my staysail from hanked-on to roller furleing by having a luff-tape sewn on. I didn't have a sewing machine at the time and paid a loft $300 for the conversion in 2004. Now that I've learned to sew I wouldn't hesitate to do the project myself. Here's a video from Sailrite on how to DIY:

This is one of the best things I did for my rig. It takes less than a minute to deploy or furl the staysail and I can do it without leaving the cockpit. I now use this great little sail all the time now that it's so easy to use.

Fair winds,
Jeff
Jeff on Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 18:53   #6

Boat: Sabre 402

Kettlewell and Boatman both make good points. The old hanked sails will need new luffropes or the slides that Boatman suggests, and the slides will be the less expensive option. As Kettlewell says, changing sails under way will require lowering one and engaging the other into the slot, then hoisting it. If you've been using hanked-on sails this is what you've always been doing, so it's not a big deal. It simply calls for planning ahead a bit more. Hopefully you have a double luff groove. That allows you to leave two jibs with their slides in the grooves, ready to hoist or douse. Hanked-on sails only allow you one -- the other has to be either already hoisted or has to be unhanked before switching sails. Enjoy your R/F and the options for different sail combinations!
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 01:25   #7

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Could you rig an inner forestay to fly the storm jib from? I like to have some foresail that can be rigged when/if the roller furling jib has packed in. Personally, I think normally it would be too difficult to unroll a furling jib in order to take it down and then raise another jib in the track when offshore in a blow. Keep in mind that as the big original jib comes out of the track it isn't hanked on and can very easily go over the side and become a hazard. If one of the jibs is suitable as a backup it isn't that expensive to have a sailmaker remove the hanks and add the luff tape.
We cut the genoa that came with the boat and replaced the hanks with boltrope (a sail loft did this for us). We also installed a removeable inner forestay for use with the storm jib with hanks, and a staysail with hanks that we had made for serious wind that is not bad enough to need the storm jib.
Old 22-11-2023, 05:19   #8

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Personally, I think normally it would be too difficult to unroll a furling jib in order to take it down and then raise another jib in the track when offshore in a blow. Keep in mind that as the big original jib comes out of the track it isn't hanked on and can very easily go over the side and become a hazard.

There's definitely technique required to keep the sail out of the water, but changing sails on a furler is certainly not unheard of. And some boats use a non-furling head foil which presents the same challenge.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 05:33   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The whole point of a furling headsail is to roll it up in increments as the wind increases, doing away with the multi-jib sail changes of past times.
I should think that to keep your old headsails seems rather moot at this time ???
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 05:38   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
The whole point of a furling headsail is to roll it up in increments as the wind increases, doing away with the multi-jib sail changes of past times.

Up to a point, yes. But depending on what size headsails a boat uses, in my mind, many boats still benefit from having 2 different size jibs with a furling setup. 1 bigger, lighter one for sailing when the wind is going to be mostly light, 1 smaller, heavier one for sailing when lots of moderate to higher wind is expected. The exception may be some boats where the biggest headsail has minimal or no overlap anyway.

That avoids need to use a huge, but really heavy headsail in light air where it doesn't work well, gives a spare sail, and if you can generally predict lighter vs heavier air times and areas ahead of time, you don't have to swap in the heat of the moment, you swap based on the expected conditions over the next few days of sailing. Plus, partially furled sails aren't as efficient, even with big chunks of foam in the luff to help keep a decent shape when partially furled.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 11:30   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I have never been much of a fan of headsail roller reefing. I get the convenience thing, but have a preference for hanked on sails, as it gives me the opportunity to change sails as I wish. Off course, 99.9% of boats these days come with roller reefing for the jib, so it's kinda moot. My Beneteau has pads along the leading edge of the headsail, so when partially furled, the sail still retains some decent shape, but my previous boat, also with roller reefing, didn't have those pads sewn into the sail and a partial reef produced a very baggy sail.
My first boat had just hanked on sails, and I got quite used to these and switching them out when needed and wonder if more people wouldn't feel as I do, given the choice.
Ah well, each to his own I guess, but for anyone planning a world girdling trip, hanked on sails have much to offer.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 11:59   #12

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Its called roller **furling** and not roller **reefing** for a reason.
As stated above it works as a reefing system only over a quite small range as the centre of effort moves further frd and higher at the same time as reefing the main is bringing its centre of effort closer to the mast and lower.
I carry two roller furling headsails and use which ever one I think is best suited to the passage in prospect - usually the smaller of the two . I also carry 3 hanked storm jibs and have which ever one is most likely to be called upon hanked on to the inner forestay ready to go.
Old 22-11-2023, 12:37   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Its called roller **furling** and not roller **reefing** for a reason.
As stated above it works as a reefing system only over a quite small range as the centre of effort moves further frd and higher at the same time as reefing the main is bringing its centre of effort closer to the mast and lower.
I carry two roller furling headsails and use which ever one I think is best suited to the passage in prospect - usually the smaller of the two . I also carry 3 hanked storm jibs and have which ever one is most likely to be called upon hanked on to the inner forestay ready to go.
Too sensible, El Ping!

AS to converting the old sails, I'd like to point out that any one can hand sew the parts Boatie showed onto the luff of the old sail. No machine is needed for the process: merely patience. In fact, as your hands learn how to do it, you'll get faster at it.

Ann
Old 29-11-2023, 04:09   #14

Boat: Contest 38s

Wow thanks for all the advice
certainly will have to think about it more - since we plan to sail forever as possible, ill measure them to see what options they give me, and maybe upgrade later/Add an inner forestay...

Again thanks for all the advice

at the moment i have a new mizzen, mainsail and headsail and a locker of barely used original sails + the old used mizzen+headsail

the old mizzen and headsail have seen better days, have few holes, dirty and fabric feels bit worn - any reason to keep them? anything can be made with them or to the dump?
only thought about practice sails or once in San blas giving them to the Kuna, but that might take another year to reach...any insight?
razamataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 03:53   #15

Boat: Island Packet 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I have never been much of a fan of headsail roller reefing. I get the convenience thing, but have a preference for hanked on sails, as it gives me the opportunity to change sails as I wish. Off course, 99.9% of boats these days come with roller reefing for the jib, so it's kinda moot. My Beneteau has pads along the leading edge of the headsail, so when partially furled, the sail still retains some decent shape, but my previous boat, also with roller reefing, didn't have those pads sewn into the sail and a partial reef produced a very baggy sail.
My first boat had just hanked on sails, and I got quite used to these and switching them out when needed and wonder if more people wouldn't feel as I do, given the choice.
Ah well, each to his own I guess, but for anyone planning a world girdling trip, hanked on sails have much to offer.

I love hank on sails. Im afraid to tell anyone because its almost like politics.
Rockinar is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, sail, sails