Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2020, 20:35   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Harken 46ST Electric Winch Issue

Just tried to use the winch handle to manually use the winch (Electric works fine) but it is locked and will not turn.

My understanding was that putting the Winch handle in should free the motor/gear from the winch and allow me to use it manually?

What should I be looking for as the problem?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2020, 22:18   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO469
Re: Harken 46ST Electric Winch Issue

The winch handle will not engage if the winch is loaded under electric power. If the winch already has a load on it you have to use stopper etc to unload it then engage the winch handle. You probably already realize this and I might have misunderstood your question. But it fooled me when I first used electric winches.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 00:56   #3
UFO

No Load at all. Also tried turning power off to Winch - Still not having it
Old 25-07-2020, 03:43   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

There are lots of YouTube videos on these winches and their maintenance. It sounds like time to explore the insides of the winch. Not a bad job, just intimidating the first time. Maybe something small is stuck in the gears? The newer ones have plastic skirts around the base that caused me grief once.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 08:49   #5

Boat: Manta 42 Mk IV Catamaran

On my 44 you have to get the winch handle ALL the way down into it in order to disconnect the electric motor. You might try different winch handles as I have one that is too short to work.
Avionics_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 09:31   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46.1 (2019)

Is there a rod, right in the middle of the receptacle where the winch handle engages? There should be, and you should have to push the rod down, when you insert the handle. The rod disengages the electric motor.

It can be stuck, making it difficult to insert the handle, or if under load from electric use, it will prevent you from inserting the handle. You should be able to push it down with a strong finger, is it is working smoothly. But getting the handle engaged is not what you described.

The rod just slides out, maybe is was lost or never inserted. Is this a new boat? I got a new boat and I have struggled a bit with the handle issue. But not as you describe. I have removed the rod and considered a racing rod, that disables the electric motor, that cannot be your problem.

Good luck getting to the bottom of this.
MarkI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 17:44   #7
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post
Is there a rod, right in the middle of the receptacle where the winch handle engages? There should be, and you should have to push the rod down, when you insert the handle. The rod disengages the electric motor.

It can be stuck, making it difficult to insert the handle, or if under load from electric use, it will prevent you from inserting the handle. You should be able to push it down with a strong finger, is it is working smoothly. But getting the handle engaged is not what you described.

The rod just slides out, maybe is was lost or never inserted. Is this a new boat? I got a new boat and I have struggled a bit with the handle issue. But not as you describe. I have removed the rod and considered a racing rod, that disables the electric motor, that cannot be your problem.

Good luck getting to the bottom of this.

Boat is relatively new to me (6months)

No rod that I can see - Just the normal screw that all the winches have
Old 25-07-2020, 18:12   #8

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I have that exact winch; I have two of the radial, and one Rewind. They all look the same, this one was the easiest to photograph tonight. This is what you should see, to disengage the motor, and use the handle. The handle depresses the centre pin, and disengages the motor.

You must use a locking handle, or at least one with the drive as long as a locking handle. A semi depressed pin won't disengage the motor.

Cheers.
Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	override rod.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	220016  
Old 25-07-2020, 19:58   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

"On my 44 you have to get the winch handle ALL the way down into it in order to disconnect the electric motor. You might try different winch handles as I have one that is too short to work. "

+1
on mine it is locked solid if you don't get the handle all the way in- I have one friend who puts a dime in the socket so that he can use any winch handle-- another went to a welding shop and added a small bit to the bottom of his winch handle and no issues after that

i
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 23:28   #10
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIT View Post
I have that exact winch; I have two of the radial, and one Rewind. They all look the same, this one was the easiest to photograph tonight. This is what you should see, to disengage the motor, and use the handle. The handle depresses the centre pin, and disengages the motor.

You must use a locking handle, or at least one with the drive as long as a locking handle. A semi depressed pin won't disengage the motor.

Cheers.
Paul.

Thanks for the Photo - That answers my question - There is No Rod sticking up.

How is the winch screwed down? Does the rod go through the middle of a screw?
Old 26-07-2020, 00:19   #11

Boat: Alubat Cigale 16m

The rod goes through the middle of the screw. If there is no hole in the middle of the screw then you either do not have an electric winch or someone serviced it poorly and reassembled it with the wrong screw...

Incidentally, it does not just drop through. The rod has a profile to stop the rod dropping out in the event you should place the keel above the mast.

PS if you do take it apart to service - which you will need to do partially, to insert the rod - then take a photo with your phone every time you remove a piece or risk having extra bits left over at the end :-)
Telesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 02:37   #12

Boat: Alubat Cigale 16m

Here are some pictures of the winch being stripped down. If there is no rod coming through the main screw then likely the racing adaptor has been fitted - if the winch works on electric, probably the screw has been backed out enough to release the cut out and so a winch handle will not go in properly. You could try screwing it back in to test but it is worth servicing the winch in any case.

Hope these are useful - cannot find the full set...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9D2DFEEF-7354-44E4-AA2D-4008F3274D5C.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	220027   Click image for larger version

Name:	838BA68E-4247-4FF6-AD7A-FE329C206862.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	220028  

Name:	AE3FAFDB-31C4-4206-82C6-E614490DECCC.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	220029   Click image for larger version

Name:	A70D636B-6B86-403A-B8EB-8175C2F01785.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	220030  

Name:	A02CBC74-E416-4679-B3B6-76CC729E2B5A.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	220031   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBB35456-30DD-42CD-BC94-97FD3BD5C9C6.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	220032  

Telesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 03:04   #13
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesail View Post
Here are some pictures of the winch being stripped down. If there is no rod coming through the main screw then likely the racing adaptor has been fitted - if the winch works on electric, probably the screw has been backed out enough to release the cut out and so a winch handle will not go in properly. You could try screwing it back in to test but it is worth servicing the winch in any case.

Hope these are useful - cannot find the full set...

Thanks for that - The screw is already fully down and the electric works fine. I'll get some parts and figure it out.

Its not a Major issue as i have a Manual Harken 53 almost right next to it

Tags
electric, Harken, winch