Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2024, 07:52   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Harken Winch Base Removal

I want to rechrome two of my "Classic" Harken 44 winches. To do that I must remove the plastic base on the metal drum. I was told by Harken that you did this by popping them off after heating (like in the sun).

The plastic is in relatively good shape considering their age (2006) but I am concerned I may crack the plastic as I force them off the metal drum. Harken said they are not sure there are any replacements if that happens.

Has anyone tried doing this and what tips would you suggest?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm winch.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	288855  
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 04:43   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Harken Winch Base Removal

I see your problem.
In this video, the tech doesn’t remove from plastic base, from the metal drum.
Harken 40 Classic Winch [1987 - 2009 models] Service https://youtu.be/BJcCkzvvV0E

Is this your winch? They don’t even list the plastic base [separately].
Harken 44.2st Two Speed Self-Tailing Winch Parts & Service
https://gallery.harken.com/gallery/e...c8d1f0353c.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 05:30   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Hi, Osti,
Simple: leave the winch alone and consider it the "salty" look of a well-used winch or use a heatgun to remove the plastic shield at the base where there is a real chance of deformity when reassembling. If it were mine, I'd opt for the first option. It's a sailboat, not a piece of furniture. Rognvald

P.S. I didn't mention the third option . . . getting a new all stainless/chromed winch which at today's costs would be patently absurd. R
Old 15-04-2024, 05:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

Yes this the same class of winches. Only mine is slightly larger. Not listing a part is clear indication to me it is probably not available. There appear to be newer versions with a similar plastic bottom but I have no idea of their dimensions.
Old 15-04-2024, 05:46   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Hi, Osti,
Simple: leave the winch alone and consider it the "salty" look of a well-used winch or use a heatgun to remove the plastic shield at the base where there is a real chance of deformity when reassembling. If it were mine, I'd opt for the first option. It's a sailboat, not a piece of furniture. Rognvald

P.S. I didn't mention the third option . . . getting a new all stainless/chromed winch which at today's costs would be patently absurd. R

Right now that is where I'm at. I have three of these but only two need rechroming so I may re-arrange them based on "saltiness" but still would like a solution. Hadn't thought on the distortion issue. I appreciate that consideration. It makes me even more hestitant. Thanks.
Old 15-04-2024, 06:12   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostinato View Post
Right now that is where I'm at. I have three of these but only two need rechroming so I may re-arrange them based on "saltiness" but still would like a solution. Hadn't thought on the distortion issue. I appreciate that consideration. It makes me even more hestitant. Thanks.
Hi, Osti,
Remember: there's a man who lurks behind every dicey boat project . .. . He's Irish and his name is Murphy! Good luck!
Rognvald

Tags
Harken, removal, winch