Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2014, 14:42   #16

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42F Mk II
Re: Has anyone tried these brakes?

The first one is a mountain-climber's desdending device. It works but if your sailing anything bigger than 30ft, go for option 2. That's a Winchard boom brake from France. It's simple, virtually unbreakable and it works. Normally you have to thread the friction line through the three available loops to obtain adequate braking. I use a Walder boom-brake. A bit more complicated to rig initially but it provides better control once it's set up. And you run the control line end to the cockpit, which is very convenient. My advice on the Walder: go for one size bigger than the one specified in theory for your sail-area and displacement. Despite what some might say, bigger is most often better on a cruising boat.

Enviado desde mi iPad con Cruisers Sailing Forum
Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 08:29   #17

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

I tried the wichard (right most pic) and I had bad luck with it. It was either on or off. I couldn't feather the 'brake'.

Used a dutchman boom brake for years on our other boat. I got used to being able to set it to 'brake' the boom as it comes across. The wichard would either be totally locked, or not (like it wasn't there). Emails to wichard went unanswered. Couldnt find a phone number for support.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 19:14   #18

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

My experience with the Wichard is the same... It doesn't seem to brake at all. We placed it as far back on the boom as we could without it interfering with the dodger and it still didn't seem to brake well. We tightened it as much as possible.

It seems the included dyneema line is too slippery.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 20:26   #19
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

I have what I believe is a Dutchmar boom brake. I like it because it has a tensioner that can adjust for speed control. Keep it loose for tacking, tighten up a bit when down wind
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010349.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	369.1 KB
ID:	86791  
Old 18-08-2014, 21:48   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
I have what I believe is a Dutchmar boom brake. I like it because it has a tensioner that can adjust for speed control. Keep it loose for tacking, tighten up a bit when down wind
Ditto!

I go nowhere without it. It's saved my butt several time.
When cresting large waves going before the wind the boom likes to jibe. The $400 for the Dutchman was well worth every penny spent and they are adjustable from the cockpit.

The friction control is for the size of the sail and type of line used, so my line is snug on reaches, tight before the wind and extra tight in the rough.

Although, even in the rough I still use a preventer to stop the boom from jerking when the sail back winds. I can safely go forward to release the preventer w/o worry of the boom coming across on me before I'm ready.

I had 45 kt winds at my back coming down from Seattle, probably more, I was doing 10+ kt COG. And cresting waves at what seemed like about 30 degrees rolling under me in the moonless nights. The B-brake kept her in place. It was a fight trying to keep it from catching the leach on ever crest.

Next time I'll drop the main and use the storm jib for running.
Old 18-08-2014, 22:06   #21

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

The Dutchman looks like a simple device of a few sheaves and a tightening device (clutch/brake). It wouldn't be difficult to back engineer one for myself.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 22:50   #22

In the triangle all thee sheaves are the same size but the lower two are secured stationary. The center top one has a clutch that will tighten it to a locked condition.

So depending on the size of the sail the clutch can be adjusted to a specific tension. Then by tightening the line it creates more friction on the two stationary sheaves but the center one still allows it to slide a bit.

And when hanging it from the boom the top needs to be as close to the boom as possible to cut down on backlash. I do wish it had the guide wires like on the walder.
It would be EZ to build if I still had my shop. I believe the clutch is a cone type and tightens by a center screw/knob.

If you need dimensions I could dismantle mine and make up a rough drawing.
Old 19-08-2014, 06:54   #23

The sheaves look like they are plastic. if so and they are stationary, wouldn't the friction of the line mess with them? I guess the arms on the walder tame the side pitching of the unit.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 19-08-2014, 07:15   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

I now know what a frapper poulie is!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2014, 09:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
The sheaves look like they are plastic. if so and they are stationary, wouldn't the friction of the line mess with them? I guess the arms on the walder tame the side pitching of the unit.
I haven't inspected mine that close yet. But I'd say the sheaves are black anodized alum. I'll be at the boat later today and get some pictures.

The arms help keep it from rocking. The lines are below the center point of the upper attachment. So when the sail is back winded the brake rocks over a bit.

If I were to engineer it I would build it with the friction line inline with the boom attachment. Which would not be a triangle anymore, but a diamond or square shape with the adjustable sheave at the bottom.
Old 19-08-2014, 19:52   #26

Well, it turns out to be pretty simple! The sheaves are 3" OD and only the clutch sheave is black anodized. The other two are clear anodized.

The clutch sheave has a plastic bushing glued in the hub with phenolic about 1/16" thick on each side glued to the sheave. By tightening the fine threaded carriage bolts it squeezes the sheave between the two side plates, which acts as a disk brake. Heck, the only real machine work is the clutch sheave which I bet you could probably buy from Dutchman. Tell'am you lost it over the side while cleaning it.

The stupid iPad names all the photos the same so I'll have to put each in a separate post.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	86817  
Old 19-08-2014, 19:56   #27

A side view. All the sheaves are like a belt sheave rather then a rope sheave.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	132
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	86819  
Old 19-08-2014, 20:01   #28

The tension handle is on the side with the nuts, I assume so you can see if one is backing out. Here's the phenolic pried up from the sheave it's only glued about 50% from the center.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	154
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	86822  
Old 19-08-2014, 20:07   #29

And last is the tension bolt a fine threaded SS carriage bolt. The T-handle has a brass insert with some kind of rubber on the threads of the carriage bolt, I assume to keep it from loosing up.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	136
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	86823  
Old 19-08-2014, 21:04   #30

Good one Dell. I'm assuming the clear ano pulleys are v'd for gripping purposes. -Rudimentary braking device. There must be stand off bushings of some kind to allow the clear ano sheaves to spin freely and about .005" (or less) clearance on the braking sheave and the clamping of the carriage bolt squeezes it all together. Although if you think about it the clamping would not be uniformed. How high do the phenolic "pucks" extend above the sheave surface?
-I've never seen fine thread carriage bots but I'm sure the Hardinge can change all that...(better make a few back ups). Instead of rubber (urethane) in the threads, I'd most likely continue the thread all the way through the "wing" nut and stake the carriage bolt end as an anti-loose feature.