Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 17:49   #1

Boat: Lock Crowther 150
Having trouble with Harken Bat cars

Up until 3 weeks ago the sail would raise and drop no problem. I had the sail off the boat while it was being repaired and went to put the sail back on and the cars are catching and binding on the track. What could have happened in just a few weeks of non use?
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 18:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Having trouble with Harken Bat cars

Rain washes dirt and grime into them. Squirt hot soapy (dish soap) water down the track and into each car - will fix it right up.

And don't spray any wet greesy lubricant on the track or cars, it will just attract dirt/grime. Dry (teflon) spray is ok . . But simple hot soapy water Is best.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 18:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Rain washes dirt and grime into them. Squirt hot soapy (dish soap) water down the track and into each car - will fix it right up.

And don't spray any wet greesy lubricant on the track or cars, it will just attract dirt/grime. Dry (teflon) spray is ok . . But simple hot soapy water Is best.

Wow. That makes perfect sense. We just had a 3 days of steady rain here in Charleston. I'll give your dish soap method a try tomorrow.... I really hope that fixes the problem. I'll report back.
Old 21-06-2017, 08:08   #4

Boat: Columbia 10.7

How do you like the Bat car system?

Is it worth the expense?

Does it really make reefing easier?
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 08:16   #5

Boat: Privilege 435

Sailkote Mc Lube is a dry lubricant designed for things like battcars. If you use a normal lubricant like WD40, it can attract dirt and dust and keep it in your cars. Is your boat in a yard? If so, the dust and dirt will be that much more.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 08:34   #6

I had them on my full batten catamaran main. They were ok, but didn't seem to eliminate the binding at times. I suspect a lot of the problem is the full battens and the force pushing toward the mast track by preloading them.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:51   #7

Having trouble with Harken Bat cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
Wow. That makes perfect sense. We just had a 3 days of steady rain here in Charleston. I'll give your dish soap method a try tomorrow.... I really hope that fixes the problem. I'll report back.

I sprayed the cars with hot soapy water and scrubbed the ball bearings with a tooth brush. I was then raised up the mast while wiping the track with acetone on the way up and sprayed MCLube on the track on the way down. I also filed down any rough areas of the t-track.
The sail raises and drops easily now.
Old 09-07-2017, 13:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
How do you like the Bat car system?

Is it worth the expense?

Does it really make reefing easier?

The system was on the boat when I bought it. It works well. Not that you'd want to, but if you let go of the halyard while pointing into the wind, the main drops to the boom in 1-2 seconds.
I think it's a good system, but the ball bearings make the Harken system less bullet proof or trouble free as the Antal low friction slides or the Tides marine system (however I don't have personal experience with either).
My T track has some nicks and dents I'm assuming from shackles hitting it. This removed the anodizing from the track and makes a rough surface as the bare AL oxides, which is not the smooth surface the ball bearings like.
Old 09-07-2017, 13:49   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 'Rogue'

Yeah be very careful with using lube and ball bearings, especially if they are dirty or salty. Instead of rolling they slide which creates flat spots on the bearings, once that process has started you need to replace the balls which is both costly and time consuming. 1 bad ball can ruin a whole set by jaming them all.
As mentioned previously a good wash works best and is best done while moving the car and getting the balls rolling.
B00B00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Harken