Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2021, 11:53   #1

Headsail Halyard on Hunter 37C

Hello,

I am a new sailboat owner and recently purchased a 1985 Hunter 37 Cherubini. I am looking to replace my headsail furler. But, in order to do that, I need to first remove the headsail. I am not able to find the halyard that is holding the headsail up. Does anyone out there who is a Hunter sailboat owner know? Please, let me know how to step by step remove the headsail on the Hunter 37C.

Many thanks.
Anciano del Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 12:29   #2

Re: Headsail Halyard on Hunter 37C

Look at the manual for your boat model if you can find it online. It should have a page that shows how various lines are running and were the ends are terminated/handled. Most likely it will be on the side of your mast tied to a horn or on a cleat. There is a good chance it is unmarked at this point. You can always try to slack a line and then pull on the sail to see if it is the correct one.

In fact, having someone else to pull on the sail while you are holding a finger and look at the line should give you the answer. if it gets tighter - you got the right one.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 15:51   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

What type of furler is on the boat? Some sorts have an internal halyard in the furler and do not use a masthead halyard.

Jim
Old 15-03-2021, 21:23   #4

The furler on the headsail is a Profurl furler. It's an old model but, I am not able to determine which model it is...perhaps the R35 or C32.
Anciano del Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 23:01   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The ProFurl will have a separate halyard which would normally be on the port side of the mast. Almost guaranteed there is a winch on the side of the mast and halyard wrapped around it. There is a possibility that the halyard has come adrift and furler is holding up the sail but that would be a stretch. A vigorous tug on the sail luff should bring the sail down if that is the case.

Why are you replacing the ProFurl-Pacific?? If the bearing seals are working they are good furlers. If the seals have been leaking and the bearings are rusted, there is a possibility of rebuilding the furler and it would be good as new. Ability to rebuild is not guaranteed because of corrosion of the aluminum but worth tearing down to see if it could be done.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 09:44   #6

Boat: Leopard 45

I have a 1985 Hunter 34 and it has the headsail halyard on the port side,. There are two lines leading to the port side. One would be used for a spinnaker and the other to the headsail.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 13:38   #7

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Having owned the same boat with a Harken Furler, the Halyard should be exiting a elongated hole above a winch, great boat by the way.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 13:46   #8

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

There is another forum called Sailboat Owners;
https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/
It has a number of specific Hunter forums including one specifically for the Cherubini's. I go on it from time to time - to the Hunter Big Boats - which covers the size range for our boats. You might want to join it also and have a search - if you're a new owner you might find some useful stuff specific to your boat. A few of the other Hunter owners on this forum are also members there.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 14:50   #9

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

I can't get the image to show in the post, please PM me to get it sent to you. Wayne

I also own a Hunter 37C, it has a roller furler for the Jib.
Mine has the CDI unit in it with an internal jib halyard.
The halyard is the line that is in the slot above the main furling drum. The multi part set of blocks is the downhaul to adjust luff tension.

In the picture the halyard is the line on the cleat, you release this to lower the jib to the deck.

CAUTION!!! Be sure to attach another line to the tail of the halyard before releasing it, otherwise there will be no way to pull the halyard up again.

Next you have to disassemble the drum etc. and finally undo the forestay to remove all the parts and foils.

Now I want to ask why are you replacing the CDI unit?
As a part of the replacement you'll have to install a traditional jib halyard as none is in the mast due to the factory installation of the CDI Furler.

Please PM me to talk some more or to get phone # to talk about this.

Wayne
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard, head, hunter, sail