Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 13:27   #16

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'
Re: Headsail - Repair or Replace?

We used sail tape with success for a few years. The jib finally blew out and we found a used sail for 400 US. Might be more on the west coast.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:30   #17
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by dridas View Post
The problem is the professionals I took it to said it would be almost $1000 to repair. Meanwhile they only opened up a very small part of the sail, and did not inspect the condition of the entire sail. The professionals I took it to are very well known brand of sail maker in San Diego. In fact, they are the suppliers for catalina direct. I felt their quote and assessment was just a ploy to get me to buy a new sail.
RE: Cost of repair. Some "sailmakers", especially the big outfits, just want to sell new sails.

But the repair vs replace cost isn't too far out of line.

Remember that your new sail quote, is the cheapest of cheap, coming from an offshore, very large volume fabricator, where the highest level of automated technology, lowest labour costs for unskilled production labour, and highest volume raw materials purchasing, is at play.

Whereas the repair quote is based on a "one-off", with USA hourly labour rate for a skilled craftsman, and limited technology. It's actually surprising the repair quote wasn't 50% more than the new quote.

But underlying all of this is that, "it is a sailboat".

Anything less than high performing sails, makes it a slug, that will have a negative impact on your enjoyment and pride of ownership.

So my opinion is that, "It is very unfortunate that the DPO ruined the foresail, but the boat was probably priced accordingly, so do the right thing, and get her a new sail.

If you can, even if it is a little more expensive, that small local guy that all local sailors say to go to, will likely result in higher satisfaction with the new sail.

We have purchased sails through large sail makers and small independents and been happier with the latter every time. Unless one is campaigning a likely to be highly publicised race boat, we find the big sail makers really don't have time for a cruiser.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:37   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
RE: Cost of repair. Some "sailmakers", especially the big outfits, just want to sell new sails.

But the repair vs replace cost isn't too far out of line.

Remember that your new sail quote, is the cheapest of cheap, coming from an offshore, very large volume fabricator, where the highest level of automated technology, lowest labour costs for unskilled production labour, and highest volume raw materials purchasing, is at play.

Whereas the repair quote is based on a "one-off", with USA hourly labour rate for a skilled craftsman, and limited technology. It's actually surprising the repair quote wasn't 50% more than the new quote.

But underlying all of this is that, "it is a sailboat".

Anything less than high performing sails, makes it a slug, that will have a negative impact on your enjoyment and pride of ownership.

So my opinion is that, "It is very unfortunate that the DPO ruined the foresail, but the boat was probably priced accordingly, so do the right thing, and get her a new sail.

If you can, even if it is a little more expensive, that small local guy that all local sailors say to go to, will likely result in higher satisfaction with the new sail.

We have purchased sails through large sail makers and small independents and been happier with the latter every time. Unless one is campaigning a likely to be highly publicised race boat, we find the big sail makers really don't have time for a cruiser.
An excellent perspective. Yes the boat was priced accordingly, and having been reminded of that.... I'll purchase a new sail in the spring. I think I'll attempt to repair it myself as well, just to get some sewing time. Maybe it becomes a backup sail, but will take the advice to buy a new one.

Again, thanks for the perspective.
dridas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:36   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Do remember that small errors in sewing or cutting will result in a tight or floppy leech. Not the easiest repair on which to start your career as a sailmaker.

I'm not familiar with the sailmakers of SD, but in your place I'd try taking the sail to a small, independent loft. Such enterprises often have a different attitude to that of large production lofts .

Jim
Unfortunately there don't seem to be many mom&pop sailmakers here.

The closest I could find are Baxter & Cicero in CostaMesa
and Elliott-Pattison in Newport beach which may have an SD branch or it may just be a local salesman.

If it were me I would take a wack at repairing it myself, little to lose and a good learning experience. If dridas needs help I'm in San Diego and I have a lot of reference materials I could share.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:56   #20

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Unfortunately there don't seem to be many mom&pop sailmakers here.

The closest I could find are Baxter & Cicero in CostaMesa
and Elliott-Pattison in Newport beach which may have an SD branch or it may just be a local salesman.
Is Nigh Sails in San Diego still around? They used to be a 2 person show. Though that was ages ago, so I couldn't say what the story is anymore.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:08   #21

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Is Nigh Sails in San Diego still around? They used to be a 2 person show. Though that was ages ago, so I couldn't say what the story is anymore.
Yelp indicates they closed up in 2015.

But Looking for them I came across a website with sailmaker contact info. SoCalSail buyer's guide: Sails and Canvas Products: Sailmakers
It appears to be somewhat out of date but may still have something useful.
Old 08-12-2016, 15:53   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
An excellent perspective. Yes the boat was priced accordingly, and having been reminded of that.... I'll purchase a new sail in the spring. I think I'll attempt to repair it myself as well, just to get some sewing time. Maybe it becomes a backup sail, but will take the advice to buy a new one.

I think this is a good outcome to this discussion, and one that will assure you of a good sail for your ongoing use.

And imo, the best approach to the repair experiment will be to remove the diseased cloth and recut the leech, using a fair amount of hollow to help control flutter. The loss of area will be a small price to pay compared to the woes of a poorly shaped leech... which is a likely outcome if you try to piece in cloth at the end of every panel. Also reduces the cost of the repair!

Good luck with it all! I enjoyed all my attempts at amateur sailmaking and repair, hope that you do to.

Jim
Old 08-12-2016, 17:05   #23

Quote:

Buying a used sail is an option too. Minnie's is 2hr away in south LA. They have their stock listed on-line so you don't even need to go there to see if they have something suitable.

Tags
sail, head