Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 12:38   #16

Re: Help - Can't get that last screw out of Lewmar 55

Before you drill it, take your HEX key or whatever you're using and put a LONG box-end wrench (spanner?) on the end of it and use that for additional leverage. Drilling could damage your winch
rowingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 13:07   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Drill a smaller hole than the head dia. and use an easy-out?
EASYOUTS, EASY-OUTS, EZ OUT, EZY-OUT, Bolt Extractor, Screw Extractor
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 17:59   #18

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Can you get a small set of stillsons on to the head or maybe some locking pliers?
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 18:24   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

BEFORE you drill it out, try to hammer either the next size hex or a metric one into the head, or even a TORX; once you drill you're committed. FWIW if I were to drill, I'd buy a left handed bit then use an easy-out as mentioned above. If you can't get a purchase, drill out ONLY the head, lift off the base and try vise-grips!
Old 11-06-2011, 18:26   #20

Boat: 48 Tollycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
I don't have an impact wrench...Maybe that's what I need? WIll it work if the screw is stripped?

As far as nitrogen...Don't know about that either.

I have broken two drill bits trying to drill. I'm sure its the toughest SS made
sounds like u r using the wrong drill bit. get a stainless cutting bit drill about halve the size of the bolt u r trying to get out. Use cutting oil...this is not a lubricant but a cooling oil and drill slowly ... when you have the hole drilled ( counter sink before you drill with a punch) then get a back out to insert into the drilled hole ..that fits the size u just drilled ( soak for a few hrs with penetrating lubricant) and it should release. If that doesn't work then use small bits slowly and increase in size until you drill the bolt/screw out to an oversize then u can put a heli coil in and a new bolt.
chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:05   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco

It sounds like you might be to the point of using a dremel tool with a solid carbide burr in it and grind the head off completely. Then you can have a go at the stub with vice grips. If that fails you can remove the entire screw with the dremel and fill the hole with high density epoxy and Bobs your uncle.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:06   #22

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

When drilling SS you want to use a sharp cobalt bit,very slow speed, lots of feed pressure and cutting oil.With your socket headed cap screw you dont need a pilot hole as you already have it,you are only drilling the head off. If you started with too much speed you harden the SS and it becomes very hard to drill. Another option i would consider is since you have the other bolts out is lift the side opposite the offending bolt up a bit to get a little space and cut the bolt off between the winch and the deck. My favorite tool for this kind of problem is my Fein multimaster with the fluch cutting hss blade, not fast but does no damage to the surrounding deck. Lots of boatowners have the cheaper versions these days which should do the job, although im not sure they have the flush cutting blades available,the Harbor Freight version does and i have used their blades on my older model Fein and they work ok and are much cheaper,not sure if ive cut bolts with them though but have cut screws.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:12   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
sounds like u r using the wrong drill bit. get a stainless cutting bit drill [sic: cobalt] about halve the size of the bolt u r trying to get out. Use cutting oil...this is not a lubricant but a cooling oil and drill slowly ... when you have the hole drilled ( counter sink before you drill with a punch) then get a back out to insert into the drilled hole ..that fits the size u just drilled ( soak for a few hrs with penetrating lubricant) and it should release. If that doesn't work then use small bits slowly and increase in size until you drill the bolt/screw out to an oversize then u can put a heli coil in and a new bolt.
Indeed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 08:48   #24

Boat: Cabo Rico
Re: Help - Can't Get That Last Screw out of Lewmar 55

Just to follow up...and thanks for all the suggestions.

We borrowed an impact wrench and a propane blow torch and finally got the screw out. What a nightmare. Fortunately the replacement bolt is a standard 3/8 inch hex bolt. We are putting on all new bolts and vowing to do annual servicing and this post will remind me if I don't.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 10:06   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"We are putting on all new bolts "
And using thread coatings, one hopes. Loctite or TefGel or whatever, whether it is meant to prevent corrossion or lock the threads, either one should prevent them from seizing up that way.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 11:08   #26

Boat: grampian 26

For future reference: If you round out the head of a shcs you might try hammering in a metric wrench that is slightly larger than the original size. I have had good success using this technique.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 11:14   #27

Quote:
For future reference: If you round out the head of a shcs you might try hammering in a metric wrench that is slightly larger than the original size. I have had good success using this technique.
Any man that knows proper hammering techniques for all situations is OK in my book. If all else fails, start hammering on anything and it will ease your stress levels.

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 11:28   #28

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Burgette View Post
Any man that knows proper hammering techniques for all situations is OK in my book. If all else fails, start hammering on anything and it will ease your stress levels.
Perhaps I should have said "tapping".
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 11:32   #29

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Whenever I re-assemble thing like winches( and other low-tech devices) I put a wrap or two of Teflon tape on the threads. Just enough wrap to still allow installation of the machine screw, (or whatever head shape), finger tight. Then torque down.
My theory is this. The clamping force exerted by the fastener is on the face of the thread toward the head. The other face is clearance space. The next time you remove a St Steel machine screw from Aluminum, look at where the corrosion oxidation is heavier. The underside is where there is space to fill up and get locked in the corrosion. IMO, the teflon helps fill this area with non-locking substance.
I am familiar with galvanic action and Ion transfer, so with all due respect spare me that , guys.
Old 14-06-2011, 12:19   #30

Boat: Cabo Rico

What gets me about boat maintenance is how a 30 minute winch servicing turns into a 2 day hassle. The appeal of it is like slamming your head against a brick wall - it feels really good when you stop.

HS - I thought Loctite was to glue the bolt in place. I put grease on it. Hopefully that'll work.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar