Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 19:54   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Help Finding Stanchion Bases

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogalloo View Post
Dennis
I spent an exorbitant amount of time researching suppliers for replacement stanchion poles and bases for our Cat38. The likely cost would be $2500-$3000. Most were badly engineered from a stress, fatigue and stiffness viewpoint. An additional complication was that we wanted to widen the deck by moving out the base and bracing it between the deck and toe-rail. There was one base that would do this but about $100 each so I am going it alone, buying TIG welder (which I always wanted for other work ) and getting the sheet metal formwork done on line.
It's and adventure but I don't think I will be out of pocket.
The project is just under way and should be completed in about 6 weeks
If any one is interested in the outcome good or bad let me know!
here in mexico if ye end up paying 500 usd i would be surprised. work here is cheap, quality excellent.
there is huge difference in pricing once you leave the influence of usa.
i have all my 500 usd priced items made here for pesos. parota wood boom is 1200 pesos. that is mizzen. under 100 usd.
do the math.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 20:08   #17

Boat: Tartan 37

Give these guys a call. They made some custom stanchions and bases for me, super happy with the service and had a price cheaper than some of the Chinese junkout there. You'll be happy.

White Water Marine - Stanchions and Bases
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 20:25   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
Give these guys a call. They made some custom stanchions and bases for me, super happy with the service and had a price cheaper than some of the Chinese junkout there. You'll be happy.

White Water Marine - Stanchions and Bases
Hell of a long way from Mexico to get bases from AND to pay 10 x as much in labor!
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 20:41   #19

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Hell of a long way from Mexico to get bases from AND to pay 10 x as much in labor!
I think White Water was $68 from the custom bases, made in good old Port Huron, MI. I put their quality up against anybody. But one good thing about buying from Mexico, by giving them work. Maybe they'll stay there.

If you want to be from a country that builds things, you need to buy things our country builds.

http://www.whitewatermarineinc.com/about.html
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 23:22   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ok dennis g you are in sea of cortez, where everything is able to be fabricated easily and cheaply. take your old one to a fab artist--you know, welder who makes stuff, aka mexican, have him make what you need. is easy and CHEAP.
if you cannot find em there, there is a mexican licensed salvor in mazatlan., he is a friend of mine. he is an underwater welder, loves making stuff. so.
in mexico, go to mexican, you WILL get awesome stuff hand made for much less than in usa. try it. you ARE in the capital of this hemisphere for repairing. use em.
guaranteed that what they make from scratch will be better at least in price than what you send away for. you might be surprised at the quality of ss welders in mexico, btw. they have done some impressive stuff DIRT CHEAP.
Dennis, I don't know how long you've been cruising, but for this kind of thing, zee's completely correct. People in Mexico know how to replicate things, and they sure as heck know how to fix things. It is beautiful!

Ann
Old 04-01-2016, 06:16   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Swan 44

These look fairly close to your existing stanchion base. ST-44 at 0 degree angle:
https://www.garhauerstore.com/stanch...ion-bases.html
Only Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:02   #22

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you've got the time, inclination, & talent, you could always make composite ones. Then, aside from some paint, you'd never have to touch them again. Nor would they leak or require bedding.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:20   #23

Boat: Samson 36 Seashell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Boat was built in mid 80s and has stanchion bases for standard 1" tubes and no tilt (i.e., 90 deg). Been searching around and find lots of bases, but none that really match. I have a few that are failing and need to be replaced. Any known sources for these? Thanks for help.
I have 10 bronze stanchions with bases that I would sell for $500. Los Angeles location. Any interest? leer03@roadrunner.com
Larry Chamblee is offline   Reply With Quote