Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 09:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Help identifying companion-way door lock type.

Key lost by PO, so have been using a padlock since, which is becoming a bit boring. I've taken the barrel system to various lock smiths and they all say that they can rekey it if I can find a key blank that actually fits (they didn't have one) I've tried and failed, and now I've decided that the way forward is to try and work out the manufacturer. I could replace the whole lock, but then I'd have to reroute the doors and I'd prefer to just solve the lock problem if possible.

Any suggestions of the identity of the manufacturer would be welcome - off a '99 Beneteau 461, but I doubt it was original to the boat. I've checked Beneteau's Sp@reParts system and cannot find this item.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:49   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Help identifying companion-way door lock type.

A picture would help
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:31   #3

Anybody? please!

Sent from mTalk
Old 04-11-2016, 08:23   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Key lost by PO, so have been using a padlock since, which is becoming a bit boring. I've taken the barrel system to various lock smiths and they all say that they can rekey it if I can find a key blank that actually fits (they didn't have one) I've tried and failed, and now I've decided that the way forward is to try and work out the manufacturer. I could replace the whole lock, but then I'd have to reroute the doors and I'd prefer to just solve the lock problem if possible.

Any suggestions of the identity of the manufacturer would be welcome - off a '99 Beneteau 461, but I doubt it was original to the boat. I've checked Beneteau's Sp@reParts system and cannot find this item.
That lock assembly looks just like ours (on a 1986 First 42) and I suspect it is the same. I will be going up to the boat later today and will get the key code (for blanks) off of our keys and post that for you this evening or tomorrow. In the mean time, however, you might contact Ward Richardson in the parts department at BeneteauUSA as I have often found that he has parts for older yachts that are not listed in the Company's on-line parts system.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:26   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Cavalier--Further to my earlier note, above, the spare key we had made for our companionway lock, which appears to be the same as yours, bears the inscription:
ilco
1041E.......CG22

We obtained the spare key at a Lock and Key store (not a hardware store). Hopefully the foregoing will work for you as well.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:37   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Ilco CG22 1041E Key Blanks. Wholesale Chicago, Residential, Commercial, RV and Camper Key Blanks, Cheap Keys

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Cavalier--Further to my earlier note, above, the spare key we had made for our companionway lock, which appears to be the same as yours, bears the inscription:
ilco

1041E.......CG22

We obtained the spare key at a Lock and Key store (not a hardware store). Hopefully the foregoing will work for you as well.

FWIW...

Wonderful! I have a bunch of blanks on order from that online retailer that owns half of Seattle's real estate. Fingers crossed, it'll be the right profile to fit through the barrel gate!

Here's hoping - and thanks again.. I don't know why I didn't think to upload photos to CF before!

Sent from mTalk
Old 05-11-2016, 04:53   #8

Thanks GordMay!

Sent from mTalk
Old 08-11-2016, 08:22   #9

Well. The CG22 didn't fit!

I went to yet another locksmith and went through their standard selection of key blanks, and the closest I got was a Yale Y6 (997X) - very few of the key profiles have the odd curve at the top of the profile (see pic), the other larger Yale blanks did, but the ones that were small enough to be feasible had a straight top. An AB21 came very close to fitting too. According to the locksmith, a suitable blank should run cleanly into the lock without issue - a slight deficit in the Y6 stopped it going more than a few millimeters into the gate.

The search continues!

Old 08-11-2016, 08:50   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

I take it that calling Beneteau has given you no joy. Have you tried the owner's association?

Or the Google group:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/beneteau-owners

Also try Annapolis Yacht Sales. I believe they are the largest Bene dealer in the US. They have a good sized service shop and parts department and were always amazingly helpful when I dealt with them for the boat I used to race on.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:39   #11

Boat: Camano Troll

I would think that somewhere on the lock or latch would be the name or logo of the manufacturer. Or at least some sort of part number.

I don't know what sort of locksmiths you've been going to but a good full service one (not the home center) should know what blank fits the lock and either have it or be able to get it.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:32   #12

Boat: 44 footer

There is another thread that talks about Beneteau keys, that references a yahoo group discussion... http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eys-32540.html

The "Hillman Y5" blank works for Beneteau keys. If you're interested there's a long thread on the Beneteau 393 site about keys.
beneteau393 : Beneteau393 Group
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 13:23   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Yep, that looks more like a Y5 (not just Hillman - lot's of people make them) than a Y6.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Y56.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	135499  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 15:58   #14

So finally - resolution.

I ordered a box of Y5 blanks - they still didn't completely fit, but were the closest so far. I took them back to the locksmith and sat with him as he ground down the key blank profile until they fit. It turned out that the lower flange of the standard Y5 was far too wide to fit the lock, so about 50% of the material needed removing. Once that was done, a curved 0.0005" shim was prepared to slide between the tumbler and the body from the back while the key blank was slowly retracted to 'bump' the pins back into the tumbler while the shim was moved deeper into the body of the housing. This was to permit the tumbler to be rotated (needed to extract the tumbler from the housing).
Once the tumbler was removed, the blank was pushed back in such that the pins all stood proud of the tumbler's OD exposing the profile that the key required. The profile was than chiseled to suit by hand and multiple copies made.

I know have multiple key copies in a safe just in case, especially now I know that the actual profile used was probably very specific to the original lock manufacturer.

There wasn't a single marking on the body, tumbler or innards of the lock to suggest what it was or who the manufacturer may be. The locksmith stated that he'd seen similar constructions during his travels in southern Europe - so the 'out of business Italian manufacturer' was probably accurate.

Thanks all again for your suggestions that guided which profiles to try.