Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2023, 13:59   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Help me with an off wind sail and furling gear

Boat has self tacking jib and while it is great for upwind sailing, I have posted here about my frustrations with a very open leach off wind. Plus, it is just too small for under 8kts true.

So I am looking for an offwind and larger sail for light air upwind sailing.

Requirements are that it stays up for the whole season furled, I can furl it myself, and I can control it myself. Want to be able to use it say ideally from 45deg AWA to 170 TWA. 45 deg AWA in under 10kts, 15kts TWS @TWA/90-120 deg TWA. Maybe up to 20 kts TWS at over 120 deg TWA, but even if I am doing 7 kts with the wind directly behind me, it is still 13 kts AWS, might be hard to furl myself...

So my thoughts are basically a lighter weight, fuller cut 150ish genoa. Maybe 140 ish. Some call this a screecher. Maybe gennaker?

I do NOT want a code0 or asymm, I am cruising, don't want anything I can't handle easily myself.

Assuming I get a name, what would you recommend for furling gear?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 14:45   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
Re: Help me with an off wind sail and furling gearg

I don’t understand your dislike of a Code 0. I have one and I can handle it when solo sailing. The only negative is having to furl the sail when tacking or gybing. However, if you keep your self tacking jib in place and add a large genoa in front of it you have to do the same.
Old 22-10-2023, 15:07   #3

Boat: Hanse 348
Re: Help me with an off wind sail and furling gearg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
I don’t understand your dislike of a Code 0. I have one and I can handle it when solo sailing. The only negative is having to furl the sail when tacking or gybing. However, if you keep your self tacking jib in place and add a large genoa in front of it you have to do the same.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe the terminology I am using in incorrect. If you look at the pic, I just had a sheave box installed further up the mast. There is a spin halyard right above the forestay attachment point, but the sailmaker told me that the type of sail I want needs a furling mechanism at the head, and would not have enough clearance. He indicated to me that the type of sail using the halyard right above the forestay attachment would be classified either a code 0 or asym. Also, that those 2 sails would not have a UV coating sewn on to leave up full time. So I took down the mast and installed a halyard box 2' higher to accommodate this requirement.

I do understand that any forward sail has to be furled to tack it. That is not any issue for me, I would not fly this sail to short tack, but rather if I can set it for a few hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mast w sheave box.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	282455  
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2023, 15:17   #4

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender
Re: Help me with an off wind sail and furling gear

We went with the combination of a 150% Genoa on a roller furler for lighter winds, and a staysail with a removable inner forestay for heavier conditions.

The Genoa works pretty well for the conditions you mention, and even down to 180 degrees. When we’re further downwind than about 155 deg TWA, we pole it out.

Code zero would’ve required a pretty strong bowsprit. And with the UV protection strip, the Genoa can stay up the whole season.

(In the picture the Genoa is slightly furled. Gusty passage towards Swedish Lapland)
bergius is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, gear, sail, wind