Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 00:52   #1

Help on non skid

Hi my decks in need of a good lick of paint

Most of my decking is covered in the in built non slip as per photo below.

I'm not much of a painter but it seems if I go and paint over this surface it is going to compromise the non slip pattern thus grip

Any ideas on how to paint such a surface

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	127219  
Exit door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 18:20   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Help on non skid

Paint it and add the non-skid grit that is available. Check the Epiglass and similar product ranges. Although, honestly, with a matte or even semi-gloss finish, i think just painting it would be okay.

Something else to look at would be paint on non-skid coatings.
Old 07-07-2016, 19:04   #3

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Before painting, make sure you prepare the surfaces. Get some wax removing liquid used for de-waxing floors, follow instructions scrubbing with a hard floor brush, all the in-between diamond pattern. Then, after rinsing well and drying, just apply 2 part polyurethane paint with a hand paint brush and try to apply just enough to cover the surfaces without leaving little puddles between the diamonds. Bugs and body hair will stick to the paint as you are applying it, just watch for that and do not paint yourself into a corner that you cannot get out of.
If you are only painting the non-skid parts, even if using the same color, remember that the painted areas will be shinier than the older gelcoat, so use masking tape to make neat borders.
Some 2 part paints do not like to be covered for days without air circulation, even years after the paint job, so try not to have them covered with cushions or something for a long time because the paint tends to bubble up somehow.
Use a very thin coat of any paint not to lose the non-skid qualities. What I prefer to do is to clean the existing gelcoat well all over and apply, all over the deck with a sponge, several coats of "Mop and Glow", a type of liquid floor wax. Lasts over 6 months. Can remove and strip it with ammonia. easy, fast and very lustrous. Not slippery either.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 21:07   #4

Boat: In Between Boats

That picture looks good why paint it? If it's gelcoat, I'd do everything I could to bring it back. Paint is a PITA.
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote