Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2024, 07:22   #1

Boat: Grand Soleil 42
Help Profurl Top Swivel Halyard Wrap

I've combed most of the profurl posts and Wichard spare parts sites and need your help and advice to repair a problem.
Profurl LC42 (from the Wichard Wizard)
Pulled it down due to Halyard Wrap.
It seems from the relevant posts and photos that the Halyard wraps because I am missing a Pin Locker for 8mm Clevin.
The top swivel spins
Is it correct that this is the right part to replace and that it is missing in my photograph? Thanks for advice.

Alternative thought...from posts here and various blogs... May not need to block the top swivel if the angle of the Halyard is correct about 5 degrees and not parallel and if the internal bearings and orings run more smoothly. Thoughts?

I cannot find the part number in the LC42 diagrams (nor any others) and thus my seeking help.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-265691.html
paul.devalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 07:31   #2

Re: Help Profurl Top Swivel Halyard Wrap

Posting another pick for clarity of the question.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:59   #3

I should be patient and wait for help but I don't have thousands for a new one and want to get back to sailing. I just found this on another site which supports the worn bearing theory :

Quote:

I suffered the dreaded halyard wrap entering Cowes a few weeks ago - so emergency gybe and back into Solent to sort. I could see with the binos that the halyard ( I have a halyard deflector) had not wrapped around the forestay, so down came the genny and back into Cowes. A whizz up the mast found the forestay in perfect condition. I found that the halyard swivel rotated beautifully when not under tension, but became stiff as a you like under tension (tested with strop to drum).

I asked a rigger to have a look and he informed me: (i) that the Facnor halyard swivel is not serviceable, (ii) that the problem arose from the inadequate ball bearings used by Facnor, (iii) that the furler should not be rotated under full halyard tension and (iv) that the main drum typically failed soon after the halyard swivel. He quoted for an entire new system (big bucks from a different manufacturer).

So I called a Facnor agent in France who I know well. He told me that it is very important to rinse out halyard swivel at least twice a year and more often if there is a lot of building dust around. He also told me that the system is specifically designed (indeed required by the VOR 70 fleet) to be operated under high tension. I admitted that I had forgotten to do this for the past few years, but he said don't worry, do the following and call back:

1. Rinse the swivel through with a running hose for about half an hour giving the swivel a really good aggressive shake and a spin every few minutes
2. Squirt in some WD40 Silicone Lube and spin the swivel, then load it and some more, then more WD40 Silicone Lube and more spinning.
3. Flush again with water and then add more Lube!

All very odd, but gave it a try after which the swivel worked perfectly, absolutely perfectly. It might be worth having a read of the destructions for your specific forestay roller if you've been a bit slack on the maintenance like me. Also, always call the manufacturer direct before discarding something and be a bit careful of the so called experts, especially when they have a vested interest in selling you something!
Old 05-06-2024, 09:01   #4

That tang in your second photo in your first post and in the second post should slide up behind the patented Wrap Stop, what I call the big black Darth Vader thing at the top of the furler extrusions.

That Wrap Stop in ProFurl equipment is "the" significant design feature and advantage of the ProFurl equipment. The halyard is led to the top of the tang and when raised the tang on the top swivel fits in the groove at the aft side of the wrap stop black fitting at the top. You must raise the top swivel high enough to engage it properly.

The entire concept is to avoid having halyard restrainers or having to worry about halyard angles.

The wrap stop is part #P035060, upper right on your parts diagram.

I have an LCI32, since 2000.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 12:39   #5

Thanks!
So the tang lies against the wrap stop preventing the upper section from rotating. But then either it broke off into the sea.... Or it is still up there. Too dark now to check but I'll look with binoculars tomorrow morning.

Tags
halyard