Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2012, 16:32   #16

Re: Holland self steering

barnakiel, I must disagree with the disagreer.(just having fun). I used an Aries on my center cockpit Peterson 44 and it worked great. I ran the steering lines up one side of the boat, so you could get around the wheel easily to disconect if needed. If I remember correctly I used roller bearing blocks to cut down on the friction. It worked very well interisland and on a 1000 mile DDW trip with up to 40kn of wind. No need for an aux rudder system on a center cockpit boat. I have no experience with vanes and hydraulic steering, but I am not sure why it would not work? I am in the market for a much smaller boat now 32-35 foot range, and my only complaint with the Aries is the weight. Like most of us, I will probably go with whatever system I can afford.__my 2 cents worth____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 19:02   #17

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
A windvane selfsteering system that can't operate as an emergency rudder seems kind of pointless.It should be totally independent of main steering.Have you checked out any trimtab designs?Some are quite easy to build with minimal welding,basic materials.
have to disagree even tho my aux rudder pendulum system would work as a backup...a servo pendulum system is relatively simple and can be made very robust. Any functional capability as a an emergency rudder is a very minor consideration vs the overwhelming benefits any effective self steering unit offers.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 19:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I have no experience with vanes and hydraulic steering, but I am not sure why it would not work____Grant.
I have some experience with vanes and hydraulic steering and i'll tell you why it wont work - hydraulic steering systems bleed, there is no consistent rudder centre, also there are too many turns to the wheel, theres not enough scope for a pendulum system to make adjustments. Love to hear from ANYONE who's solved those problems, i had a red hot go, got the scars to prove it.
Old 19-08-2012, 20:43   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

As charlihows states, the problem with hydraulics is they bleed pressure. You don't notice when you're at the wheel as you are constantly making corrections and not feeling the constantly changing center point.

You need to run the Pendulum Servo steering lines to a stub tiller on the rudder shaft and install a bypass on the hydraulic steering. Actually, that gives you the best of both worlds. PS systems work the best connected to a tiller. The bypass in the hydraulic steering drops it completely out of the system so you aren't fighting steering system like you do with cable steering. I couldn't make a PS system work on my currentl boat as there so much drag in the wheel at slower speeds. Took 4 knots of boat speed or more before the vane would steer properly. Funny thing was the boat has considerable wx helm as speed builds but the PS system steered better and better as the boat speed increased despite the very high helm pressures. The Cap Horn Vanes are ideally suited for such a set up. A few Superlatives
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 23:01   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Does anyone out there have one or have seen one operate? I just need some first hand experience before I put down a boat buck.
You'll put down a lot more than a boat buck. Those prices aren't in dollars. Check the exchange rate and shipping. Probably be more like 2 boat bucks by the time you get it over here. This looks like one of those deals where you go into it figuring you're going to save a bunch of money and when you're done, you're wishing you had ordered the Monitor.

I installed a Monitor for a client in less than a day. Same boat as yours (V40). The product is supported worldwide and the company has been in business under the same ownership (Hans B) for decades. They know exactly what you need for your installation because they've supplied vanes for sisterships.

A friend built his own wheel adapter for a Monitor using some automotive pulleys. Came out pretty nice. So there's something you can save a bit of money on if you're looking for some DIY action.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 04:20   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I am aware those prices are in Euros. I have also done a fair amount of importing from Germany, and i am somewhat aware of prices to ship. And I have studied the subject enough to know the differences and advantages of servo-pendlelum as compared to a rudder with a trim tab or a vertical vs horizontal wind vane characteristics. OK OK, I got that DIY wind vanes are fraught with danger and may just lead to frustration.
I just want to know if anyone has used the Holland (Bouvaan) wind vane and what did they think about it.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 05:01   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. A(nother) windvane is top of our list too. We have one (an older Windpilot Atlantic) while we are considering either a recond Navik or else the new Windpilot light. I love Monitors and consider them top shelf, but they are bigger (heavier) and at the same time make your pocket (much) lighter.

In the EU there are also other units made, some pretty recent.

I think, inshore, or when a boat has very good power balance sheet, an autopilot is an option. In case of small boats, auto is the cheaper way too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 11:26   #23

i think you're on the right track newt - looks like no-one much has tried them, I'd try a couple other forums or even contact the company and see if they'll give you a few contacts to approach for testimonials - i had an engineering company making printing machines for many years and used to ask customers if they would allow me to do this, never had a refusal, probably my most effective marketing tool over the years, so if Holland wont cooperate on that level i'd consider them a bit suspect
Old 20-08-2012, 20:42   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Thanks Charlie, I am going to give em a call first thing in the morning, one of the few times we can contact Germany while they are at work. Sometimes they just don't want to export to the US- I have had that problem before when I was making a electric hybrid trike and the parts were from Holland.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 15:49   #25

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Holland Self Steering

Giving this thread a jumpstart to see if any others have tried the Holland. Seemed to spark some interest when this thread first went up.

We had a Monitor for years on another boat and would love to hear how the Holland might compare, as well as anything about completion problems.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:45   #26

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Holland Self Steering

the chap is very forthcoming & friendly-had email contact with him the other day
double u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Holland, self steering, steering