Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2008, 04:35   #1

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Hood 810 LD Pictures?

I have never used any roller furling of any kind and our Cal 29 came with a Hood 810 roller. I have cleaned it and am replacing a couple of the bearings and plastic parts and getting it ready to re-install.
The only problem is that I really don't know exactly how to rig it. Does anybody have any detailed pictures of how to rig the swivel and the drum?
The foil of course was pretty self explanatory (even for someone as dense as me).

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 06:44   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Check out:

Pompanette LLC.

They should be able to help you.

svHyLyte

PS: The 810LD is a furler not a reefing gear. You cannot sail with a partially furled sail with that gear.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 08:08   #3

I just ordered parts from them. I looked over their site and don't see any good pictures or descriptions of how to rig it.

I did not know that you could not reef with the 810 - I'm glad that you said something (or I probably would have figured it out the quick way
I see that they sell a conversion kit to a single line reefing. Maybe I should consider that. Or consider going with a hank on jib.

Old 25-03-2008, 10:01   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
The reefing conversion might be worthwhile. Note that, depending upon the age and cut of your sails, you might need to have a foam luff pad or rope sewn into your sails to take up some of the sail's belly when you reef.

We sailed a Cal 2-29 for many, many years and generally found that when reefing became necessary, a single-deep-reef in the main and full genny (135) worked well up to about 22-23 knts onless one is beating hard to weather. Beyond that, we'd furl the genoa and work under single reefed main only. The yacht's fairly light and sails pretty well under the main only, if necessary.
Good luck!

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 13:26   #5

That is great to hear svHyLyte! I have not had it in the water just yet, but that is just what she is - a 1974 Cal 2-29. Maybe that will be one of the upgrades for next winter. I just got the 150 back from the sailmaker so it is a little late this year for the upgrade there.
Thanks!

Tags
hood

« Bowsprit | Dutchman »