Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2023, 23:07   #1

Hood Stoway Top Bearing - Source

A few years ago, I bought a replacement top bearing assembly for my Hood Stoway main furler from Eric Pearson and last week, I finally got around to installing it. Before installing it, I documented the part numbers and did some searching on the web for possible sources in case I needed another one in the future.

Unfortunately, Eric died a while back, so it might be difficult to obtain replacement parts. Indalo Rigging apparently bought the inventory from Eric's estate (indalorigging.com/hood-furling-systems). I had a hunch that the bearing was nothing specific to the Stoway system and likely a common bearing. The bearings appear to be common bearings "self-aligning thrust bearings with a model number of 53203.

The top bearing assembly I purchased from Eric included the four parts of the thrust bearing, a washer, a nyloc nut, and a plastic shoulder washer made of black hard plastic (nylon, delrin?). I was not sure where the shoulder washer needed to be placed, so I put it at the bottom of the stack, with the smaller ID pointing down into the hole in the mast head. This formed a cork to keep the grease contained.

Although I took pictures, I did not measure the dimensions of the shoulder washer before installing, but here is the info that I can recall.

The plastic shoulder washer has these approximate dimensions (see attached diagram).

A and B heights are equal and about 3/16"

Diameter of C (largest OD) is the same as the ID of the bottom-most part of the bearing assembly (~1.25"). This plastic bearing sits in the ID of the bottom part of the bearing.

Diameter D is about the same as the hole in the mast head through which the furler rod passes. This is about 3/4"

ID is about 7/16", which allows the furler rod to pass through. The furler rod (the part at the top that has a threaded end that goes through the top bearing), has an OD of 7/16" and has a fine thread.

I found a link on amazon and one at bearingshop.org that appear to be exactly what I have (except for the nylock nut, flat washer, and plastic shoulder washer).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007MFXYVI...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.bearingshop.org/53203-ns...ings-bore.html

These appear to be the same bearing that I installed as the new replacement and if y'all need one, you might want to give these a try instead of paying nearly 10x for what appears to be the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ShoulderWasher.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	278874   Click image for larger version

Name:	53203Bearing.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	278875  

Click image for larger version

Name:	U203plate.JPG