Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2020, 12:51   #16

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: How can I rig my asym?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Spinnaker halyard block should be above / forward the forestay attachment point.

Masthead rigs often require a crane extending forward to hang the sheaves.

This allows the spinnaker to fly outside the rigging and lifelines

TRUE. rig you describe is accident waiting to happen. Your ASYM top to halyard, bottom to downhaul, sheets to stern. your jib sheet blocks will not work, The downhaul block muat be forward of the forestay, I put mine on the anchor roller or you could rig a temporary bowsprit.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 18:23   #17

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

I'm not sure I see the "accident waiting to happen." True, it's not ideal. But, I'm not sure the risk. If he never gybes, I really don't see the issue at all.

On our old boat, we flew the tack from the anchor roller "sprit." The new boat, while we figure out what to do for the tack, we are currently flying from eyes on the side of the stainless bowsprit, at least a foot aft of the forestay attachment and on the leward side (so we shift the tack point on each gybe). It's not "ideal" but it certainly isn't a "must" or an "accident waiting to happen."

Come to think of it, a friend of mine uses her jib blocks. I keep telling her to move the sheet leads aft, but she's happy where they are.

There is the "right way" to do this stuff, for sure. But the wrong way isn't necessarily "bad" or "dangerous" and if it gets you out there having fun, it is, in it's own way, the "right way."
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 13:26   #18

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

SailingHarry's suggestion shoud work fine. Just keep an eye out for any chafing. Other potential issue is that the halyard you are going to use probably has no swivel so you could get halyard chafe where it exits the mast if sailing on a reach.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 14:43   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
...Other potential issue is that the halyard you are going to use probably has no swivel so you could get halyard chafe where it exits the mast if sailing on a reach.
Good point. Thanks
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 18:24   #20

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Thanks. Yet another way to do this. So, no problem with the gennaker halyard crossing over the headsail furling foil? No chafe issues or undue pressure on the foil?
No question that the gennaker halyard is crossing over the headsail foil, but to date i have flown it so infrequently & in light winds that not an issue...chafe definitely will be an issue & will have to address that when the stick comes down at season end...rigging is very stout so not concerned with undue pressure on foil...but with single handing just flying in light winds...
Hoodsail is online now   Reply With Quote