Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2020, 16:13   #1

How do I find tension for stays?

I bought a 2002 Jeanneau SO 40 a couple of years ago and I've only had to step the mast once (I'm in Canada and the mast comes down each winter). Last year I had someone rig the mast for me, but I want to be able to do this myself. I've read various guides about how to tension the stays generally, but nothing says to set stay X at tension Y so I don't know where to start. I have access to a tension meter, but in order to use it I need to know the appropriate tensions.

I've googled around but I can't find any reference manuals that list this. The owners manual from Jeanneau doesn't list anything. Is there anywhere where I can look up the appropriate tensions for the various stays for my boat?
davidkuehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 13:27   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: How do I find tension for stays?

On our boat we put the mast in and tighten up the stays and shrouds so they’re just snug. Then we go for a sail when it’s not blowing too much and take a look at the mast, tightening things to keep it straight on each tack and making sure the turnbuckles are even on both sides, to keep the mast plumb. When we’re happy with how things look, we put in the cotter pins and tape them pretty much for the season. If we notice the mast doing funky things in heavier winds we might do some more adjusting. Tension meters are good once you know the tension you want, but determining exactly what you want is a separate question. Each boat may have slightly different settings based on its sails and a wide range of other criteria.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 14:38   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

Buy a loos gauge sized for your rigging. Generally 7x19 is set at or around 15% of the breaking strength.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 15:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Buy a loos gauge sized for your rigging. Generally 7x19 is set at or around 15% of the breaking strength.

I just bought a Loos gauge (unfortunately one the more expensive ones to fit my boat). Interesting to use the % rather than the actual values. That makes a lot of sense as it would be general rather than specific.

Can I ask what you mean by 7x19?
davidkuehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 15:38   #5

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I hired a rigger to adjust the stays using my loos tensionometer. I recorded the final readings. I now periodically measure and adjust to those readings.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 15:48   #6
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkuehner View Post
I just bought a Loos gauge (unfortunately one the more expensive ones to fit my boat). Interesting to use the % rather than the actual values. That makes a lot of sense as it would be general rather than specific.

7 bundles of 19 strands. If you look at your loos gauge it has a corresponding number related or the % of the breaking strength of the wire size (newer/pro vs older models etc) You can go looser or tighter depending on how you sail/rig etc but for general cruising 15-20% is a good target.
Old 28-02-2020, 15:50   #7
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrauer View Post
I hired a rigger to adjust the stays using my loos tensionometer. I recorded the final readings. I now periodically measure and adjust to those readings.
Good practice to do annually. You can get a preemptive warning if something is failing like a chain plate for instance.
Old 28-02-2020, 17:22   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkuehner View Post

Since you mentioned standing rigging I’ll bet it’s 1 X 19 not 7 X 19 which was frequently used as part of running rigging and frequently had a rope tail spliced onto it.
Use the guide supplied with your Loos gage as a starting point and you won’t go wrong. It is objective and reliable. Don’t let anyone convince you to use a subjective method unless you can afford a new mast.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 17:34   #9
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Since you mentioned standing rigging I’ll bet it’s 1 X 19 not 7 X 19 which was frequently used as part of running rigging and frequently had a rope tail spliced onto it.
Use the guide supplied with your Loos gage as a starting point and you won’t go wrong. It is objective and reliable. Don’t let anyone convince you to use a subjective method unless you can afford a new mast.
Yup. Had 7/19 on the brain for just that application (CC34 with rope/wire halyard and rod rigging)
Old 28-02-2020, 18:11   #10

If you want to understand WHAT rigging tension should be, and WHY, get Brion Toss' book, The Rigger's Apprentice.

In my experience most people sail with their rig much too loose for good, safe, long lived, performance.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 20:43   #11

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

always a good start to mark the turnbuckles with eg tape when you back off for de-rigging etc.

that way you can be pretty sure to put it back where it was

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote