Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2020, 19:28   #1

Boat: Paceship PY23
How many winch pawls engage? Wondering if I have the right ones.

I'm a novice rebuilding a single speed Barlow winch of unknown history. This one was missing one pawl and the washer compared to the same winch on the other side.

I matched the existing pawls to the Barient pawls available from Lewmar that I got are the appropriate ones because only one pawl engages at a time (see pic) and if I got the Harken pawls, which are shorter, both pawls "might" engage at the same time....thus the question, how many should engage? Seems that two engaging would be balanced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201222_142710739.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	229257  
Andrew Vanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 20:22   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: How many winch pawls engage? Wondering if I have the right ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Vanis View Post

I'm a novice rebuilding a single speed Barlow winch of unknown history. This one was missing one pawl and the washer compared to the same winch on the other side.

I matched the existing pawls to the Barient pawls available from Lewmar that I got are the appropriate ones because only one pawl engages at a time (see pic) and if I got the Harken pawls, which are shorter, both pawls "might" engage at the same time....thus the question, how many should engage? Seems that two engaging would be balanced.
Two pawls must engage. If you have a Barlow winch, make query to HUTTON-ARCO Yacht Winches

You will need to specify which Barlow winch you have.

Note, the photo you showed is difficult to evaluate because you are not exactly lined up looking down into the winch, however it looks like the parts shown are not the correct size.

Running a winch without the correct pawls is dangerous. If the pawls do not engage the winch can spin backwards under load. The winch handle, spinning backwards can break your wrist.

Make sure you have pawls that fit and engage properly.
Old 23-12-2020, 20:24   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

They both will. But something is odd about that image. What is missing? Or is it not centered? Hard to tell.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 20:31   #4

I will confirm that the pawls shown in the picture are WRONG. They do not properly fit in the recess on the shaft. There should be ZERO space around the base of the pawl. ALL pawls must engage in all points of rotation.

Get the right ones for the winch you have. EXACTLY the right ones. As wingsail says a reverse spinning winch can be very dangerous, even on small boats.

I was service manager for a charter company and we had Lewmar, Harkin, and Anderson winches on different boats. We needed to work very hard to be sure we kept the right pawls in the right winch. Getting it wrong was a mess. It takes a lot of experience to see the issues, becasue the are all ABOUT the same, which is different than RIGHT.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 21:02   #5

Thanks for the replies.

It Is the best pic if the pawls I have at this point. I took it at that angle to show that if the right pawl is on the tooth, the left has the shows gap.

I'm figuring shorter pawls may be needed to closer up that gap.

Here is a pic of the parts of the other winch in the order it came apart.

What do you think is missing?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20201208_164529931_HDR.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	229262  
Old 24-12-2020, 09:44   #6

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

Niceties aside, just try to be sure to replace them in pairs.
Then test the results under load.
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 10:24   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

"Two pawls must engage. If you have a Barlow winch, make query to HUTTON-ARCO Yacht Winches"

+1 they are easy to deal with and got me the parts i needed quickly and easily.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 11:26   #8

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

When maintaining a winch, always make certain that the old grease is removed and that the various shafts and gears are properly lubricated with a good high pressure grease. Lewmar in particular, and I think others, state that the pawl springs must be free of grease, otherwise it can lead to early spring failure. I make sure there is no grease on the cylindrical part of the pawl or the pocket on the shaft, and just add a dab on the end that contacts the drum.
Don't throw the incorrect pawls away. They are not cheap and may be useful for someone.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 11:43   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Vanis View Post
Thanks for the replies.

It Is the best pic if the pawls I have at this point. I took it at that angle to show that if the right pawl is on the tooth, the left has the shows gap.

I'm figuring shorter pawls may be needed to closer up that gap.

Here is a pic of the parts of the other winch in the order it came apart.

OK, I'll try one more time:

Your first picture is not directly lined up with the shaft of the winch so it is actually at an angle. We can't see how the pawls are fitting. The second picture is useless, we see all the parts and maybe they are the right number of pieces but there is nothing in that picture to judge the fit. But in any case it does not make sense to me that you think they should be shorter. I'd think longer, but I can't tell from the odd angle of the photo.

As BillKny said, they need to fit perfectly, no gaps around the head of the pawl, and no gaps at the square end, and both pawls must click into place and bear a load at the same time as you rotate the shaft.

If they do not do this perfectly then you don't have the right pawls. Don't take any shortcuts and hope it will be OK, it won't be. So don't keep showing us pictures and hope we say, "OK". We've told you how it must fit, you can see that for yourself. Do the needed and get it right.
Old 24-12-2020, 12:38   #10

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

https://www.cheoyleeassociation.com/...t%20Winchs.pdf has some parts diagrams for Barlow winches. My Tanzer has two.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 12:54   #11

Boat: Catalina 30

I've only worked on Llewmar winches, but to me that drum seems drastically oversized. Is everything there? On our winches, the central shaft of the body fills the entire top section of the winch drum and the paws do not extend out fully like the ones in the picture. (You have to squeeze both into their recess to even get the drum on.)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 19:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
https://www.cheoyleeassociation.com/...t%20Winchs.pdf has some parts diagrams for Barlow winches. My Tanzer has two.

Bill
Thanks for the link. none of the schematics are a fit and the details on Pg1 of the PDF seem to indicate that is all that is avail..It will be interesting to sort this out.
Old 24-12-2020, 19:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhoof View Post
When maintaining a winch, always make certain that the old grease is removed and that the various shafts and gears are properly lubricated with a good high pressure grease. Lewmar in particular, and I think others, state that the pawl springs must be free of grease, otherwise it can lead to early spring failure. I make sure there is no grease on the cylindrical part of the pawl or the pocket on the shaft, and just add a dab on the end that contacts the drum.
Don't throw the incorrect pawls away. They are not cheap and may be useful for someone.
Thanks, yes, grease only on bearings an other non-pawl contact areas. On Pawls, just oil.
Old 24-12-2020, 19:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
They both will. But something is odd about that image. What is missing? Or is it not centered? Hard to tell.
It is not centered. I had to take it off-angle to get both pawls to show.

The important thing to keep in mind looking at the picture that the right pawl is engaged right at a tooth and the resultant gap of the left pawl is shown.

the thing not shown in that picture is the cap (which has its own pawls) since if I put the cap on we couldn't see this insides.

Old 24-12-2020, 19:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
it does not make sense to me that you think they should be shorter. I'd think longer, but I can't tell from the odd angle of the photo.
I'm still thinking shorter. I'll try the shorter Harken paws since I can try them out at the West Marine locally and see how that looks. I'll also contact the supplier linked above after the weekend.

Maybe this attached image may straighten out the angle view.

The pawls should attach at opposing teeth. In this pic, the right pawl is in the tooth resulting in the gap on the left pawl. the left pawl is too long to swing into the correct (opposing) tooth. A longer pawl might engage a tooth not opposing, or if too long, extend beyond the radius of the barrel and lock pawl in the tooth.

I appreciate all the responses. They have allowed me to look at this from views I did not have before.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	229311  

Tags
winch