Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2016, 13:19   #46

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: How Often Do You Service Your Winches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
Agreed. Takes a good amount of warm soapy water, mineral spirits and scrubbing to get everything clean. I just took mine home to the double kitchen sink.

For the cleaning phase try to do it with ww40. I takes the old grease much faster than soapy water.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 13:28   #47
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
For the cleaning phase try to do it with ww40. I takes the old grease much faster than soapy water.
I went looking around town a couple of days ago for some paint thinner (mineral spirits) and came home with "diluente polivalente" instead, due to my non-existent Italiano. Definitely not mineral spirits, and I'm not sure what this stuff is.... but it certainly cuts through the grease with ease.

It probably cost me a few brain cells too.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 13:42   #48

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I went looking around town a couple of days ago for some paint thinner (mineral spirits) and came home with "diluente polivalente" instead, due to my non-existent Italiano. Definitely not mineral spirits, and I'm not sure what this stuff is.... but it certainly cuts through the grease with ease.

It probably cost me a few brain cells too.
Yes, diluente is paint thinner and polivalente means general use. You have to be careful because some thinners attack plastic parts and area some plastic parts on a winch.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 13:58   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Yes, diluente is paint thinner and polivalente means general use. You have to be careful because some thinners attack plastic parts and area some plastic parts on a winch.
Thanks for the translation. It does act like paint thinner, but smells much different.
Old 22-05-2016, 15:04   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Personally I have always found diesel fuel to be the best winch cleaner. Scrape the big gunk off the winches, drop them in a bucket, fill with diesel, come back the next day and wipe clean. Luckily it is also compatable with lubricants, and cheap.

Not that other things won't work, but diesel has always done the trick at a far lower price.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 15:10   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Personally I have always found diesel fuel to be the best winch cleaner. Scrape the big gunk off the winches, drop them in a bucket, fill with diesel, come back the next day and wipe clean. Luckily it is also compatable with lubricants, and cheap.

Not that other things won't work, but diesel has always done the trick at a far lower price.
Well there is your problem: Big Gunk? Should be no gunk inside a winch; only light surface lubrication. Gears are not designed for thick grease, which will actually deteriorate the winch from forcing grease between the gears when grinding. Not good.

Most of the advice given so far is detrimental to your winches. But if that is your thing to do, by all means go ahead.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 15:18   #52

Boat: Able 50

The best stuff for cleaning winch parts is kerosene. Soak the dirty parts for 1/2 hour or so then brush clean with a toothbrush. If the parts are reasonably clean it will take much less. Use Superlube on the bearings and chainsaw oil on the pawls.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 16:41   #53

Just started servicing the winches on a 27 yo boat. Doubt it was ever done before. Grease was lumped up and matted. Surprisingly the pawls and springs were in good shape. (Replaced anyway) Used Lewmar grease on the gears andthen oil for the awls. Soaked the dirty parts in mineral spirits. Really not a bad job. And yes they are a fine machine

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum M. Gray Pacific Seacraft 31
sophiedaisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 21:44   #54

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
Agreed. Takes a good amount of warm soapy water, mineral spirits and scrubbing to get everything clean. I just took mine home to the double kitchen sink.

I probably won't completely clean mine again for another few years unless the grease looks really dirty. Just an inspection for wear and some new grease, as needed.

(Edit: PS, I use Super Lube 21030 Synthetic Grease (NLGI 2), 3 oz Tube https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XBH9HI..._YlBqxb69SM3D2 based on recommendations from here and it has been working as well as any. Has found several uses on the boat so far. Just yesterday, I used it on my stay turnbuckles.)
Has anyone here heard of using Duralube oil and no grease on a winch. I have a friend who did it on a boat he races and said it works great and its going on three years since he did it. You have to first get all the grease off I guess
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 22:34   #55
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Killam View Post
Has anyone here heard of using Duralube oil and no grease on a winch. I have a friend who did it on a boat he races and said it works great and its going on three years since he did it. You have to first get all the grease off I guess
As mentioned winches are incredibly durable and can take a huge amount of punishment, but thin oil will get thrown off the gears. You need something thicker, like lithium grease or winch grease. This is doubly important if you aren't going to service them regularly.

At a minimum you need something that will stay put on verticle surfaces to keep the lube from litterly flowing off the teeth.

Old 22-05-2016, 22:55   #56
cruiser

Quote:
I used the special winch oil from the marine store €5 which looks exactly like motor oil. When used up, the little bottle will be refilled with motor oil.
Old 23-05-2016, 10:20   #57

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
That will work fine provided you are OK with repeating the job every 2-3 months. Oil doesn't stick around too long.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 11:15   #58
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I used the special winch oil from the marine store €5 which looks exactly like motor oil. When used up, the little bottle will be refilled with motor oil.
Oil goes on the paws, and any machine oil works fine. Grease goes on the gears and it needs to be heavy and thick. Don't mix the two up, or the paws will stick and the gears will grind.

Edit: I find gun 3:1 to be a very good oil for the paws.

Old 23-05-2016, 11:28   #59
cruiser

I have automotive grease and official Lewmar winch grease onboard. I used the Lewmar stuff on the winches, it's much thicker and stickier than the standard automotive stuff. The oil went on the paws, just like the video instructed.
Old 23-05-2016, 13:25   #60

Boat: Kaufman 47

I used Super-Lube on all of my Barient winches' gears and bearings and sewing machine 4:1 oil on all pawls. Much better now..

See more @ redemptiverepair.com
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, winch