Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2019, 07:46   #1

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34
How to contain loose part of a slab reefed sail?

I have a mainsail with three reefing points and find it hard to manage if I am triple reefed. I see reefing lines on older sails, how are those rigged?

I am thinking about splicing an eye on one end of a 3ft line but how do I ensure the other end won’t simply slide off? And would a permanently rigged line chafe the sail?

Thank in advance for your help.
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 07:53   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350
Re: How to contain loose part of a slab reefed sail?

I had a small line going thru the grommets with figure eight on each side of the grommet.

Line just hung and blew in the breeze. When reefed, tie off around the sail, not the boom. The lines are just a house keeping item. If the main has a bolt rope, tie off loosely, do not put stress on the grommets...

I learned this from my wife who was a sailmaker.

Marc
CaptMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 16:07   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

We often leave the bunt of our reefed main alone. It goes off to leeward without seeming to wear the sail much. If it does become bothersome, we rig a line around the boom and through the reef cringles (grommets) to tie it off. Sometimes just a sail tie in the middle is enough. Using a separate line for each grommet takes longer to tighten and loosen than one long line. With a separate short line for each grommet (a reef point) you'd also need a separate short line for each grommet, and need to leave it rigged & ready on the sail all the time. Otherwise, digging them out and setting them up would be a real hassle each time you wanted to put in a reef. Once installed, these reef points would weigh the sail down and chafe against it on almost every wave. Square riggers with 12oz canvas could put up with some chafe.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 21:11   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

An approach we used prior to boom bags was to weave a length of shock cord through t he grommets (reef points) from luff to leech. Put a plastic hook in between each point. Then, all that is required is after reefing, reach under the bunt, grab the shock cord on the other side of the sail, pull it under and hook it to the cord on the near side. Repeat for each pair of points, and lo, the sail is contained. When not in use the shock cord lies tidily against the sail. Much quicker than tying the little cords (called nettles by the Brits) knotted into the points and then struggling to untie them when soaked and stressed.

worked for us for some years.

Jim
Old 21-02-2019, 10:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
An approach we used prior to boom bags was to weave a length of shock cord through t he grommets (reef points) from luff to leech. Put a plastic hook in between each point. Then, all that is required is after reefing, reach under the bunt, grab the shock cord on the other side of the sail, pull it under and hook it to the cord on the near side. Repeat for each pair of points, and lo, the sail is contained. When not in use the shock cord lies tidily against the sail. Much quicker than tying the little cords (called nettles by the Brits) knotted into the points and then struggling to untie them when soaked and stressed.

Jim

If I am understanding this correctly, I am very interested

I have a few questions but before I do I figured a photo is worth a thousand words. Would you happen to have one?
Old 21-02-2019, 12:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
If I am understanding this correctly, I am very interested

I have a few questions but before I do I figured a photo is worth a thousand words. Would you happen to have one?
Sorry, but no photo that I can think of. When we bought our current boat 16 years ago (this week) it had lazy jacks, and we soon went to a boom bag.

Happy to answer specific questions, though.

Jim
Old 22-02-2019, 09:30   #7

Quote:
Sorry, but no photo that I can think of. When we bought our current boat 16 years ago (this week) it had lazy jacks, and we soon went to a boom bag.

Happy to answer specific questions, though.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Do you have a bungee running on each side of the saik, alternating sides at the grommets? Or is it a single one which hooks onto itself?

Thanks for your help!
Old 22-02-2019, 10:05   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

I really like the idea that Jim posted with the shock cord definitely something I'm going to give a try, as I don't have a boom bag and seems like it would beway easier to do than my current set up with reef points...
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 15:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
Hi Jim,

Do you have a bungee running on each side of the saik, alternating sides at the grommets? Or is it a single one which hooks onto itself?

Thanks for your help!
Yes, I guess I wasn't clear: two separate shock cords, alternating sides. IIRC, it was 3/16 inch cord, just long enough to lie quietly along the sail when not in use.

Jim
Old 24-02-2019, 18:18   #10

I like Jims ideas, but something else (or additional) you might consider is that the amount of times you will need the third reef is going to be very small and for 98% of your sailing you can leave it without all of the lines (much less clutter) in the way. Day sailing, learning, short trips in good weather a third reef is needed almost never. When you are planning passages reeve the extra lines for the third reef and put up with the extra clutter in exchange for having it when you need it. If you sail in an area that has frequent thunder storms , then you might just rig the first reef and the third for those drastic but short term thunder storms. I made it a practice of always tying the points (loosely) if I thought I would be reefed for more than an hour or so, or if it was near nightfall. And yes, I like a third reef much better than a trysail. Just another opinion. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 15:18   #11

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:

Jim
I read this when it was written and we were in Miami. I bought some shock cord and used five small wire spring carabiners. (I had previously bought them on-line in error assuming that the given dimensions were inches when they were actually centimeters.) I set up Jim's system for our mainsail's first reef. We then left for the Bahamas. The system worked like a charm. We were out of the USA from February 28 to May 30 and we only had to put in a reef once. This thing is better than four leaf clovers or rabbit's feet.

The one time we used Jim's system, it worked better than reef points. It was easier to put in the reef and easier to shake it out later. I could hook and un-hook the carabiners with one hand rather than the two needed to tie and un-tie a reef knot in pendants. That saved the other hand for myself. It was fun to watch the gathered bunt of the sail after "tying" in the reef. The bungee cord worked like a python slowly but surely tightening up on the gathered cloth until it looked neat and tidy.

Thank you, Jim.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 16:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
I read this when it was written and we were in Miami. I bought some shock cord and used five small wire spring carabiners. (I had previously bought them on-line in error assuming that the given dimensions were inches when they were actually centimeters.) I set up Jim's system for our mainsail's first reef. We then left for the Bahamas. The system worked like a charm. We were out of the USA from February 28 to May 30 and we only had to put in a reef once. This thing is better than four leaf clovers or rabbit's feet.

The one time we used Jim's system, it worked better than reef points. It was easier to put in the reef and easier to shake it out later. I could hook and un-hook the carabiners with one hand rather than the two needed to tie and un-tie a reef knot in pendants. That saved the other hand for myself. It was fun to watch the gathered bunt of the sail after "tying" in the reef. The bungee cord worked like a python slowly but surely tightening up on the gathered cloth until it looked neat and tidy.

Thank you, Jim.

Bill
Well, I'm glad that you had such a good experience with the reefing! And I appreciate the thanks.

I had not realized that this method also warded off the need to reef... how cool is that?

Jim

Tags
sail