Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2020, 12:57   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: how to lift out a stubborn winch?

Aren't todays adhesives great. A bedding compound probably would have worked. I love the adhesives for things you never need to remove. \
I'm guess continued pressure and a thin blade might get it lose.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 15:00   #17

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Most winches dissassemble from above ... you leave the base attached to the boat while servicing ... unless the base itself is the broken part.

does this help:

https://www.lewmar.com/sites/default...2304iss9_2.pdf
Thanks to all.... love the lewmar detailed instruction PDF.
The reason I wanted my winch out the boat was to service it at home, on the kitchen table or the workbench in garage, all in a more friendly environment!
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 15:24   #18

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

With the screws captive to the base and deck you will not be able to remove the winch without damaging the deck. Are the screws Philips or hex drive? Can they be removed from the top?
I agree that there is only one item that cannot be repaired or replaced without removing the winch base from the deck, and that is the base itself. It seems like you can do the necessary work with the base in place.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 15:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Life is to short not to have one.
Or to re arrange the quote "To have a short one is to not have a life."

Suggested to me by a wench.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 16:43   #20

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

If you are worried about losing parts get a box that fits over it and cut out the bottom so the winch fits close and tape it down over the winch so that anything that pops out lands in the box.
It sounds like more trouble than its worth to remove them. I take mine apart every year to clean and grease them while mounted to the boat.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:49   #21

How to lift out a stubborn winch?

My Pappy say's "by the ears".....they will scream a bit, but they'll come pretty quick! In fact there are several old tales of how to care for yer winch. Always do it from the top, he said, no matter what yer friends say!

A little oil or even some sow fat will go a long way, and don't ever forget that.

Keep yer friends away from yer winches.....they'll just gum 'em up, and they'll be useless for days maybe even weeks!

If'n they freeze up, just run a line around their neck, with at least three turns mind you, and then give it a strong tug. Usually that will work, but as a last resort you can take a wood mallet and strike em in the top of the head two or three times. That'll get em good and loose for the moment, and you can service them right then with little difficulty!

Face it Mate's.......winches get old. You can always get yerself a new one, but watch out for them new two speed one's, especially if'n you are old yerself! They are self tailing too? Hmmmm, fancy that! I hear they been known to cause a man to blow like a whale, might even expire a weak man right there on the spot! So maybe them old winches are worth keeping, and certainly they gonna need a more frequent servicing as well. Might be good for all aboard!

And always remember, a man needs a Rigid Vang. It will keep the pressure off'n you when them winches demand being turned. And when you get them winches oiled and ready, remember to wrap their tail's, two turns or three, however they like it, and they'll keep till the next time.

Last thing my Pappy said was this.......if'n you find yerself in a Blow, and I mean a real Blow......a big winch is better than a little winch! Every time!

Now get on out there and service yer winches! There's sailing that needs done!

love ya all......bud
33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, winch