Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 08:11   #1

Boat: looking
Hunter Chain Plates

We were happily buffing away yesterday when we came across a disturbing sight! Take a look at these chain plates...

The cracks run longitudinal along the top of the chain plate.

I am wondering if any one has knowledge about how Hunter constructs these chain plates, is that a solid piece of stainless? Also if any other Hunter owners have had similar problems...

Thanks,
Chef Mike
PacificSailors
Old 12-01-2012, 08:57   #2

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
Re: Hunter Chain Plates

try posting your question over at hunterowners.com.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 06:20   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mike View Post
We were happily buffing away yesterday when we came across a disturbing sight! Take a look at these chain plates...

The cracks run longitudinal along the top of the chain plate.

I am wondering if any one has knowledge about how Hunter constructs these chain plates, is that a solid piece of stainless? Also if any other Hunter owners have had similar problems...

Thanks,
Chef Mike
PacificSailors

The bow chain plate on my Hunter developed cracks. It was a bit of a job to replace it, and we had to have it fabricated. It's unlikely Hunter even manufactures them. How old is your boat? No boat part survives forever.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 19:17   #4

We found a local guy that does beautiful stainless work to take a look. His words " no problem "... We will keep a good eye on it.

Chef Mike
PacificSailors
Old 28-01-2012, 04:45   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

the calmest Hunter thread of all time
Old 28-01-2012, 06:03   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

To my eye that looks like a scratch more than a crack. Polish it up and then see what it looks like.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 18:58   #7

Boat: Hunter Marine 37 Jolly-Roger

The chainplates on my Hunter 37c are reversable... meaning take it apart and turn it upside down and reaffix..... I found this out anchored out in keys.... somebody was thinking when they designed the bolt patterns... at least on my boat....
jolly-roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 19:12   #8

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly-roger
The chainplates on my Hunter 37c are reversable... meaning take it apart and turn it upside down and reaffix..... I found this out anchored out in keys.... somebody was thinking when they designed the bolt patterns... at least on my boat....
Say what? That makes no sense. But if airing out crevasse corrosion makes you feel better then enjoy. Where is the the guy in a short black skirt talking like Julia child's baking pop overs icon
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 19:33   #9

Boat: Hunter Marine 37 Jolly-Roger

Well, I'm just telling you what I did to MY chainplates on my 37c.... the plates were fatigued at the deck line... to have an immediate fix was to remove the chainplates and turn them end for end and reinstall.... Now does this make sense??
jolly-roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 20:13   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly-roger View Post
Well, I'm just telling you what I did to MY chainplates on my 37c.... the plates were fatigued at the deck line... to have an immediate fix was to remove the chainplates and turn them end for end and reinstall.... Now does this make sense??
I understand what you did, but don't understand why.

If you have a chain plate that is weak at one point, why would you even want to keep using it, even though you have flipped it? I get the fact that you no longer are stressing the affected part, but I would think the whole part is important.

But that is just me, and I'm a rookie. Those more experienced then me may want to chime in.
Old 22-05-2012, 20:29   #11

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly-roger
Got it sorry for the expression. Immediate fix maybe okay thats beimg hopeful. you got fatigued chain plates that need replacing. Taking a chunk of failing metal and turning it on end doesn't get you much. crevice corrosion and metal fatigue doesn't work like you want. If you have ever seen a fitting fail from metal fatigue you would think more about the issue.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 19:56   #12

To follow up on the original post... We did end up replacing the chain plates for nothing else but peace of mind. Every one that we show the old chain plates to tell us it was a good decision.

Funny thing we heard from a dock neighbor about the Hunter 410 model was that the Coast Guard initiated a recall for chain plate issues in the late 90s. Issue being that the chain plates only attached to the deck and not the hull...yikes!

I have learned a lot about the rigging since which includes keeping a good eye out for corrosion and keeping the rigging clean the reason being that corrosion starts when salt and dirt collect on stainless steel. A rigger in Puerto Vallarta suggested using a 50/50 vinegar water solution to clean the shrouds.

Chef Mike
PacificSailors

Tags
hunter