Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2020, 13:12   #46

Boat: Cal 29(Boston) Nautitech 441(Grenada)
Re: Hydranet triradial vs. 3Di Nordac/Endurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Hi, I had a rather good experience with those guys when they repaired my gennaker. How much is it for the mainsail ? yours is 63m² right ? Did you get a quote for the genoa as well ? cheers
About €13K with a discount for an early deposit and waiting until off season to fabricate the sail. Being made now. Will pick it up in March. The Dacron crosscut genoa is 2 years old and looks great so no urgency to replace it. Yes I believe the spec is 63m²
CaptRehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2022, 12:54   #47

Boat: Cal 29(Boston) Nautitech 441(Grenada)

April 2022 update. Thanks to Covid, travel has been either not permitted or too difficult to make test requirements match up with weather windows. This year things have eased up and we arrived in Martinique and finally received our sail. It sure looks good. Nothing like the 10 year old charter sail that it replaced. Looking forward to sailing down to Grenada with it for hurricane season
CaptRehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 22:29   #48

I’ve been sailing 3di Nordac for now 4 years, happy to buy performant blue water sails. The reality was a bit hard : first year was all good except a big vibration in side down wind along the mast from 15kts, second year moult and black area comes to the both sails but because of the lockdown we couldn’t organise anything with NS New Zealand, my provider. After 3 years more than 6000$ to fix weak point and other bad clear strips on the both sails, then back to New Zealand to sea NS who clearly told me «*we know the problem but you come back too late …*» they tried to fix the vibration problem adding some cart on the mail rail (but it didn’t do anything except making the sail very hard to lift and put down !) and they made some work on the UV protection (original one was completely done only after 3 years), they said the sails has been overused (!!! About 12 month sailing in 4 years and so they charged me for some of this work !!!
The sail now is covered with black spots and moult, and start to delaminating in all these area.
So NS is probably a good brend for racing and performance sailing but definitely not good for long sailing offshore. And about the customer service I leave you to your own opinion… nothing about the people I worked with when we made the sail project, and the delivery, all lovely people, very professional, but the management and the after sail service is terrible for a sailmaker like this, and unacceptable to my opinion. I’ll definitely not recommend that option.
Emmanuel Hokuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 13:52   #49

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I have two alternative headsails -- a 95% blade jib with 3 dimensional sheet leads, and a 120% yankee like the original one, both made of carbon/technora laminate. The blade gets used 90% of the time as it is far superior upwind to the yankee, far superior in strong conditions, and gives up only surprisingly little in lighter conditions. These are big sails so I don't change them at sea (I could with adequate crew, but I have never done it yet).
I saw your comment about a 3 dimensional sheet lead system for the blade.

I have been flying the Yankee for years and recently ended up with a hand me down laminate blade which is about 90-95% for my Oyster 55.

Are there any threads where you describe the system you are using. I am about to add lead tracks further forward (The Yankee tracks are all aft of the cap shrouds) and curious what you ended up with.

I will be painting the decks in the next couple of years (Got 20 years out of the LP) and so now is the time to play a bit.

Any pointers are most appreciated.
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote